Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Springfield , Oregon
Yet another rescued oldie

Well, here we go. I think we've acquired our dream Airstream. This is our third. Each one smaller than the last. We'd been missing our old '65, reading the forums, watching the ads, debating the pros and cons of various lengths and floor plans when Craigslist provided us with a '69 Globetrotter. Great price, nice exterior, original inside --- not been licensed since 1989.

So. now we have found a great - well qualified, highly recommended, guy to help us bring this baby up to snuff. All systems have now been checked out, refined, sealed up, etc. But, we can use a little help in a few areas. That's where you come in, I hope.

Any ideas? Our refrigerator works great, but somewhere along the line the inside of the door was damaged and very poorly repaired with some unknown unsightly gunk. Looks terrible. Our technician thought that it might be possible to replace just the door if we could find one. Ha, good luck. What do you think?

Another thing that we find puzzling is that there is no graywater tank and the sink drains do not empty into the black tank -- they join the plumbing system just before the main outlet. So, if there is no place to hold the gray water, just what does one do with it? We are not likely to be camping in places with full hook-ups. Does that mean we need a honey bucket? Anyone else dealt with this?

I see these as all minor problems. We have the main things taken care of and now get to begin the fun parts ---- the interior and the camping!

I've been reading the forums for months. What a great source of info. Thanks for your help.
Susan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucky II 001.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	777.9 KB
ID:	82508  
69trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
Congratulations on your new purchase!! It looks very cool! Regarding the gray water tank. Airstreams didn't have gray water tanks until 1974, I believe. The setup that yours has is exactly the same as our '67 Caravel had. I'd just get one of those hose adapters that fit on to your dump line and run a hose into the bushes, or get an auxiliary portable holding tank. Good luck, and have fun!!
somefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Welcome to the forum,
I have the same situation in my Safari, but a previous owner installed a larger black tank and had a way to direct the gray water into the black tank too. I'm going to install a new gray tank just behind the axle and use the black tank for overflow when the gray tank is full. You could get a graywater tote and use it that way if you don't want to.
The refer thing is funny, I was just on craigslist a couple of days ago and saw a refer that is exactly the same as my original 45 year old one. It was listed for free, because the owner didn't know if it worked or not. I would just keep an eye out for one similar to replace the door or even the whole refer if you come across a great deal. Use a state-wide craigslist search, if you can find out how, or call one of the places that repairs the old refers and see if they can come up with a door for you.
Nice looking Airstream! I see you already started to polish it. I couldn't help myself either.

Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
1969's and earlier didn't have grey tanks. They use to just dig a hole and dump the grey water in the ground. Maybe even the 1970 model to.

I am putting in a grey tank right behind the axels. The only disadvantage is I have a drain for it and a drain for the black tank. But a "Y" in my waste hose will let me dump both without 2 hoses.

It's not alway good to have grey water in you black tank, If it fills up it will back up into your shower/tub. And that can be very unpleasant. I speak from experience. I capped the discharge off, and let the grey water go into the black tank by opening the valve. seemed like a good idea, but the black tank is smaller than the fresh tank...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69trotter View Post
Well, here we go. I think we've acquired our dream Airstream. This is our third. Each one smaller than the last. We'd been missing our old '65, reading the forums, watching the ads, debating the pros and cons of various lengths and floor plans when Craigslist provided us with a '69 Globetrotter. Great price, nice exterior, original inside --- not been licensed since 1989.

Susan
Susan.

Gray tanks did not start until the 1974 models.

They can be added, but one must be careful in doing so.

How it's mounted, where it's mounted, and how it will be vented and drained are all considerations that must be made before hand.

All the exterior gaskets are probably shot, especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets.

The entrance door is mis-aligned, because of hinge wear, but can easily be corrected.

The shocks are probably shot, as would be expected after 40 years.

The ball height may be lower than it should be.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Springfield , Oregon
Thank you all for the great info.! Andy, is there a forum posting regarding alignment of the door? We read your message about the axle, thanks so much!
Susan
Old 06-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I'm doing a full monte on my 71 GT and I just recieved the tanks I will be using for grey. It will be some time before I do the actual install do to my extended buisness travel this year.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f416...nte-26902.html

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thank you all for the great info.! Andy, is there a forum posting regarding alignment of the door? We read your message about the axle, thanks so much!
Susan
I don't think there is a Forum posting.

Call Greg at 800-8777311 and he will walk you thru of "how to do it."

Or wait until Monday when I will be back, and I will help you with info on how you can realign the door.

Andy
Old 06-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Quote:

Another thing that we find puzzling is that there is no graywater tank and the sink drains do not empty into the black tank -
It was the Sixties. You just hook up an old garden hose and snake your greywater out into the woods. Why would you want to hold it?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Springfield , Oregon
Hey, we're cool with the garden hose, and maybe even a bucket. Just wanted to be sure that we weren't missing something.

I'm going to keep looking for a refrigerator. Our is an AB Electrolux, model MA40C. Fortunately, it does work well. I'll keep you posted and add some photos when we get the trailer back from it's initial trip to the tech's.
Thanks for all you help.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hey, we're cool with the garden hose, and maybe even a bucket. Just wanted to be sure that we weren't missing something.

I'm going to keep looking for a refrigerator. Our is an AB Electrolux, model MA40C. Fortunately, it does work well. I'll keep you posted and add some photos when we get the trailer back from it's initial trip to the tech's.
Thanks for all you help.
To better help you if you look for parts, your reefer is a "Dometic", model M40, which was one of the first ones they built.

Andy

Tags
refrigerator, black tank, gray water tank