Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
Yet another nuguy

Hey I am another new AS owner as of this weekend. Those RV shows will get you every time. We bought an 07' Safari 27FB SE LS (whatever the letters mean). We just knew that we would have less trouble with this trailer than anything else we looked at and really liked the styling. Simple purposeful design. I do have some questions though. Does anyone have rollers installed on their trailer for negotiating some of the crazy dips in drives at out of the way places? Also are there any special tricks or tools that are better than others when it comes to flushing the gray and black tanks? Last question...The red numbers on the trailers what are they and where do they come from?
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Good Morning Kraz,

Can't help you with all of this, but first let me be the first on the forum to greet you warmly. This is the best place on earth for solutions to your questions! I too am a new AS owner as of this year. We had always wanted one, but had a tough time taking the plunge! Worth every penny. Have owned oterh rigs, nothing comes close to AS in quality and classic looks.

The SE is special edition which is the trim level in your unit. The really cool recessed lights in your ceiling and classic alum walls and ceiling are the main points of this trim. Adds a buinch of cost but is just too cool! We have the 19' Safari without the SE package. Still love it!

Hope you guys spend the next several years "trying" to wear it out! Have a great time. Keep all of us posted as to your tripping, and again, welcome to the forum, from another newer member of the AS world.

Bill
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Howdy, and welcome to the forums! and congrats on your new aquisition.

lets see...questions:
well, its always a good thing to get familiar with the forum's search function. try it out with searches like "flush king" and "sewer solution"...both popular tank flushing accessories. another "basic" is to make sure you never leave the black tank valve open when you're on a full hookup. let it fill, then dump it all in one fell swoop. the big "whoosh" effect will help it to empty completely. same goes for the gray tank, while less "nasty", there are still some solids that get in there. Typical protocol is to leave it open while of full hookups until the last day of your stay, then close it up so it can get a good load in it...then use it to flush out the slinky. (dump black first; then do the grey, as its mostly soapy water, and will help to de-nasty-fy the slinky!).

rollers: not sure about the newer model trailers so much, but generally, they are not a good idea for older trailers. (probably newer ones, too). the frame is only meant to support weight of the trailer in 2 places; the aft most portion of the frame is not one of them. Airstreams are not built like most travel trailers. the support comes not just from the frame, but the entire shell. so the frames themselves are lighter and more flexible. bottom line: don't bottom out. rollers will just make you bottom out that much quicker, and the frame is not strong enough to support that kind of force back there.

red numbers: membership id numbers for the wbcci. (http://www.wbcci.org). It is a club for airstream owners. Lots of us here are members. Club members and their numbers are listed in a directory that is published every year. Used to ID each other on the road, and also at large rallies. Kind of like an address on your house.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
The LS package comes with a spray nozzle in the black tank. Take a look at your owner's manual and you'll see the recommendations for its use.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
[quote=chuck]
rollers: not sure about the newer model trailers so much, but generally, they are not a good idea for older trailers. (probably newer ones, too). the frame is only meant to support weight of the trailer in 2 places; the aft most portion of the frame is not one of them. Airstreams are not built like most travel trailers. the support comes not just from the frame, but the entire shell. so the frames themselves are lighter and more flexible. bottom line: don't bottom out. rollers will just make you bottom out that much quicker, and the frame is not strong enough to support that kind of force back there. quote]

I agree with this statement in general, but "don't bottom out" isn't too realistic. My '98 Safari had the rear skid plates all bent up, partly from the PO, partly from me. I'm pretty careful with driveways, etc, but stuff happens. Many times I've had my entrance/exit planned in advance, only to have another vehicle change my planned route.

I would say that the force produced, dragging metal to concrete, would be greater than if you had a low profile set of swivel wheels. This would be especially true in those cases where you are forced to turn at the same time as exiting - this puts a lot of lateral force on the frame when it contacts the ground/concrete. I think in this case there is benefit to quality rollers that swivel.

If you DO put wheels on the rear, place them in such a way as to not worsen your angle of departure. Place a stringline between the rear contact point of the rear tire/ground, and the lowest part of your bumper/frame. The roller wheels should project below this line, but as little as possible. My opinion, FWIW.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
HI Kraz
I have an 03 Safari 28 SO. I had 5" swivel wheels put on. They are just in side the skid plates. They hang down about 2" below the skid plates. This has not hurt the trailer at all. We have been in some pretty nasty dips. Instead of digging in we just roll over the hump
Eric
Old 10-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Welcome from Kayzap

I'm glad you found this place! Welcome aboard. I left you a response on the other Forum we share.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:10 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
Eric,

Can you send me some pictures?

Krazy-
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Krazy,
I will take some pictures tomorrow and try to send them to the Forum. If that does not work. Send me your E-mail address. I'm not very go with computers. My E-mail Nowayann@Aol.Com
Eric
Old 10-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Dallas , Texas
Welcome from another North Texan

Hi Krazyjohnny,
Welcome to AS ownership and to the forums. You will find this an invaluable tool for learning all about your new trailer. I am pretty new, too. Bought my 75th Anniversary International CCD 19' Bambi (Isn't that a mouthful??) in July. In the process of customizing the interior---almost finished, then I'm off to destinations unknown!! My bet is that our paths will cross at a Texas rally sometime. Again, welcome!

indiancreek
indiancreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome Krazy!

We are all crazy here, with aluminitis! Welcome to the forums. Am looking forward to seeing pictures of your new Airstream! Post lots of them!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote