Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2008, 09:51 PM   #1

1994 30' Excella
Sylacauga , Alabama
Talking YEA Just bought a 94 30' Front kitchen

Thanks for the info from all of you in the diff between Argosy and AS (also define SOB)

We are now official streamers, we have been looking but could not find what we (me and the wife) wanted. We did not like the mid twins with rear baths, nothing wrong with them just not us, so we were looking for a mid bath rear bed room, but not twin beds, another hard to find item we soon found. Sorry we do like to sleep together still, we are young 40s and not Ricky and Lucy, rather Mike and Terri.

Then on Ebay a couple 15 miles from our house had a 94 30' Excella front kitchen rear queen!! We called him, went and looked and LOVED it. Me made a deal and now it has a loving new home. The couple bought it from it 2 years but bought it from the original owner that was 80YO and could go in it no longer (as you can tell by the 2 dents) but the inside is SUPER almost new looking. And he had the original sticker, all the books and maint records from new!! Being an old car guy that was a major + to me. (FYI it was $42.8K in 94) We wanted an older one but this one suited our wants to a T.

Just wanted to let you all know we will be on here alot now and will become a Walley and Air Forum member very soon. Have been reading ALOT on here and some of you are so full of info. Well go for now but hope to see some of you soon at a camp ground!

Here is the Ebay link if the forum allows them:

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...236808234&rd=1
mandtclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandtclassic
Thanks for the info from all of you in the diff between Argosy and AS (also define SOB)

We are now official streamers, we have been looking but could not find what we (me and the wife) wanted. We did not like the mid twins with rear baths, nothing wrong with them just not us, so we were looking for a mid bath rear bed room, but not twin beds, another hard to find item we soon found. Sorry we do like to sleep together still, we are young 40s and not Ricky and Lucy, rather Mike and Terri.

Then on Ebay a couple 15 miles from our house had a 94 30' Excella front kitchen rear queen!! We called him, went and looked and LOVED it. Me made a deal and now it has a loving new home. The couple bought it from it 2 years but bought it from the original owner that was 80YO and could go in it no longer (as you can tell by the 2 dents) but the inside is SUPER almost new looking. And he had the original sticker, all the books and maint records from new!! Being an old car guy that was a major + to me. (FYI it was $42.8K in 94) We wanted an older one but this one suited our wants to a T.

Just wanted to let you all know we will be on here alot now and will become a Walley and Air Forum member very soon. Have been reading ALOT on here and some of you are so full of info. Well go for now but hope to see some of you soon at a camp ground!

Here is the Ebay link if the forum allows them:

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...236808234&rd=1
Some of the front kitchen models had a problem with inadequate tongue weight. Sometimes it was near zero.

The lack of weight makes it very difficult to "properly" rig the trailer to the tow vehicle for "safe" towing.

Make sure yours has about 750 to 800 pounds of tongue weight.

If not, there is a simple A-frame modification, that can be done.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forums! That is a nice looking trailer and the front kitchen and dining is quite unique and rare.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Welcome Aboard

Glad you found what you wanted. We too had a difficult time finding our #2 trailer. we wanted an older unit and finding an older unit with a queen bed was a challenge (my wife and i still like to sleep together too), but we eventually found one and unique on at that, a 1987 34 footer with double doors.
There was an article in a recent Airstream Life that featured the front kitchen Airstreams. It was very interesting and if I remember correctly it did mention something about the tongue weight problem Andy mentioned earlier. I thought the front kitchen layout was REALLY cool!
Have fun and enjoy her and the forum.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Norbert here on the forum has if not the same unit a very similar front kitchen Excella as the one you've described.

It is a very unique unit. Congrats!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
MandT,

Welcome aboard and congrats on the Great Find! Apparently the link has died so post photos when you can.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #7

1994 30' Excella
Sylacauga , Alabama
I posted the pics in "Airstream trailer photos"> "1990s"> titled >"1994 Excella front kitchen" I dont know how to post in the thread yet, sorry
mandtclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Some of the front kitchen models had a problem with inadequate tongue weight. Sometimes it was near zero.

The lack of weight makes it very difficult to "properly" rig the trailer to the tow vehicle for "safe" towing.

Make sure yours has about 750 to 800 pounds of tongue weight.

If not, there is a simple A-frame modification, that can be done.

Andy
Andy, I have a fuzzy memory about that. Was it the trailers that were designed to be front-kitchen models, but weren't that had the lightweight tongue, or the models with the front kitchens themselves?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Andy, I have a fuzzy memory about that. Was it the trailers that were designed to be front-kitchen models, but weren't that had the lightweight tongue, or the models with the front kitchens themselves?
We had a front kitchen model in the shop, sometime back.

I wanted to look underneath the rear end, so I just retracted the tongue jack.

OUCH!!!!

When I retracted the tongue jack, the trailer stay absolutely level.

It was a crazy sight to see the jack retracted, and the trailer didn't move.

I grab the tongue and could move it up and down a couple of inches with my hands.

It was hard to believe, let alone to see a huge Airstream trailer, with NO tongue weight.

The fix was to insert a number of flat steel bars in the complete length of the A-frame.

That did add a few hundred pounds to the tongue weight and made a huge positive difference in the way the trailer handled when towed.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #10
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Congrats on your "new" front kitchen! We have a 1996 34' front kitchen & really love it - it gets the cookin' out of the hallway as well as serves as a great conversation piece at a rally.

From talking to other front kitchen owners, the first year of this model in the 34' length did have a tongue weight deficiency, which made them rather squirlly to tow.
From our experience, when our trailer's tongue jack was retracted on level ground, the trailer definitely did not remain level, as it wanted to nose into the ground. It also tows like a dream - we don't really know it's behind us until we have to navigate all 57' of our rig through a Costco parking lot!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote