Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeker View Post
Thank you all for your help. So, last question. Why is there a Land Yacht plaque on the trailer if the serial number states that it is an International? Was the guy that makes the serial numbers and plaques drunk that day?

Thanks for your information,

Clint
Clint.

Easy answer.

All Airstreams are Land Yachts, regardless of length.

Andy

Old 01-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Is it an "International Land Yacht"?

Quote:
Thank you all for your help. So, last question. Why is there a Land Yacht plaque on the trailer if the serial number states that it is an International? Was the guy that makes the serial numbers and plaques drunk that day?

Thanks for your information,

Clint
Clint,

I can't really answer your question about the 1 instead of an I on the plaque. Although I've read on this Forum that sometimes a state DMV will put a 1 on the title instead of an I.

About the International vs. Land Yacht, take a look at this Airstream document: http://service.airstream.com/files/l...b78538cbe1.pdf

About half way down the 1st page you will see: "International Land Yacht Series", and a list the standard options for that series.

BTW does that ID plaque look like it could be a replacement?

Carol

Old 01-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #17
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome aboard. Glad to see another new and excited member join the silver family. As others have stated, post lots of pictures and keep us in the know with your progress.

Now, about that fridge. What, besides the PO, tells you its not working? And if its not working, what are the symptoms? Is it lighting up at all? It might just need a new circuit board or something less expensive than a replacement or a good clean supply of 12 volt power.

Some investigating is in order.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Columbus , Ohio
Brad,

Good question about the fridge. Here's what I know. The PO told me that he had it looked at locally by an RV dealership. Apparently, they told him it was a catastrophic problem. That's all I know. He told me he always ran the fridge on electricity, not gas, but, by the sound of it I was under the assumption that whatever problem it has, gas or electric doesn't matter. But, what do I know? Zero, zip, nada........

One interesting thing he told me, and try not to laugh at this. He told me he was camping and the guy next to him had an older AS also. The told me the old guy told him to take the fridge to the local Amish community to fix it, apparently they're pros at it. Now, I don't know if this is for real, or if it's some inside new guy joke that is being played on me, but, that's what he said.

Does this make any since to anyone? Because, it sure doesn't do me.

However, I'll try anything to save myself $1,600.

Cheers,

Clint
Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Couple of options before throwing it out entirely. Open up the compartment door on the trailer and take a good look around. Is it really dirty? Do you see any evidence of leaky fluid? Also, take a good whiff. If you smell ammonia, it has an ammonia leak and this could be catastrophic, as you say. If this is the case, you'll either need a new cooling unit or a complete replacement. Cooling units are available by mail order and I understand not that difficult to install.

If it is not leaking ammonia, on occasion a fridge can be "burped" to solve the problem. To do this, unhook it and take it out of the trailer. Put it upside down for three or four days and then set it back upright and hook it back up before putting it back in the trailer. Sometimes the ammonia gets an air bubble in the system preventing it from circulating and allowing the unit to cool properly.

Also, make sure it is getting 12 volt power, if it is the type of fridge that needs 12 volt. What make and model is this fridge? You need to try anything before shelling out $1,200. And on top of that, the new ones never fit the existing opening so modifications to the cabinetry are always in order.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
The ammonia cycle works in surges - you need the heat applied for 45 or 90 minutes sometimes before the system starts circulating. Amish communities really could know the ins and outs of absorption refrigerators, but I would sure ask around before appearing with refrigerator in tow

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Second opinion

Quote:
Brad,

Good question about the fridge. Here's what I know. The PO told me that he had it looked at locally by an RV dealership. Apparently, they told him it was a catastrophic problem. That's all I know.
Had the same experience once on our pickup camper fridge. Had a second repairman look at it and he fixed it with a $2 part.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #22

I have a number for Refrigerator repair. These guys are aces and were very reasonable with me. World Class refrigerator repair;501-977-0877.They are located right off I-40 in Plumerville, AR. I think they have a web site?I also know that they had some seconds refers. Best of luck and safe travels. Mark----31' 74 Sovereign
Old 01-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
New Trailer

Congrats on scoring an Airstream! It is a snooze you loose deal, first one with cash gets to take her home.

Tried burping the fridge on my Tradewind and never could bring her back to life. On the good note, the newer ones are less finicky, cool faster and you don't have to have a completely level trailer to operate.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Had the same experience once on our pickup camper fridge. Had a second repairman look at it and he fixed it with a $2 part.
All to many RV repair shops, want to sell the customer something, instead of repairing it.

Most always, repairs can return the appliance back to excellent operation conditions, but that requires a mechanic to do a little thinking to fix the problem. Most shops think $$$$ not repairs.

If you run into that issue, get a second opinion.

As an example, most shops don't know hoot about the Armstrang AC's that Airstream used from 1964 to 1979.

They are good units, but like anything else, they don't last forever. We find typically, when one fails, that it's a matter of a relay or a condenser that has failed. Not a whoopee to replace, and certainly not expensive. Once in a while, maybe a unit needs some freon added, but that's still far cheaper than a replacement AC.

The same goes for other appliances as well.

Second opinions are usually well worth the effort to get, as more often than not, it will save the owner some bucks, many times, big bucks.

Years ago, repair shops were tuned into "repairs".

Today, all too many repairs shops only know "replace" as in throw out the old, and toss in the new.

Andy
Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Can I get that repairman's name...?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Brad,
One interesting thing he told me, and try not to laugh at this. He told me he was camping and the guy next to him had an older AS also. The told me the old guy told him to take the fridge to the local Amish community to fix it, apparently they're pros at it. Now, I don't know if this is for real, or if it's some inside new guy joke that is being played on me, but, that's what he said.

Does this make any since to anyone? Because, it sure doesn't do me.

However, I'll try anything to save myself $1,600.

Cheers,

Clint
Clint,

Not so far fetched really...anyone living with no 'tricity may very well have an extensive knowledge of absorption reefers.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote