Old 12-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Birchwood , Tennessee
Let me also add, that under the front gaucho frame is a aluminum round water tank that has a small red electric pump to the curb side. On the outside at the filler neck as a water valve with a quick attachment for a water hose and a schrader valve (like on a car tire). All of the plumbing is black plastic and appears to be in good condition along with a black water tank under the toilet. Both sinks have copper pee traps and all appears to be leak free. It does have the 12v system but only one tire and one battery box.?.?.?.?

To everyone again......................THANK YOU , THANK YOU THANK YOU for your feedback.

And to you Fred, I have a buddy in Nashville, Tennessee that has a vintage jeep buisness and he thinks you are a GOD!...............thanks.

Paul..........................MERRY Christmas!

Old 12-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #30
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
This has been a great thread!
Fred - Thanks for the trip in the aluminum "way-back" machine!

Bob - Your trailer is looking better every day. I like the door back on also. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

Richard

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwire
Let me also add, that under the front gaucho frame is a aluminum round water tank that has a small red electric pump to the curb side. On the outside at the filler neck as a water valve with a quick attachment for a water hose and a schrader valve (like on a car tire). All of the plumbing is black plastic and appears to be in good condition along with a black water tank under the toilet. Both sinks have copper pee traps and all appears to be leak free. It does have the 12v system but only one tire and one battery box.?.?.?.? Paul MERRY Christmas!
Hi again (is it Bob or Paul?):

The air pressure water delivery system was the type used from ~1957 to ~1962/63, so is original to and correct for your 1960 World Traveler. I have nothing to back up this hunch, but I think that only one 12 volt battery and only one spare tire carrier were the standard World Traveler features. I think the dual batteries and dual spare tire carrier on the 1959 tandem axle World Traveler that sadly has been converted into a radio shack were special order items for that trailer. The other 1959 World Traveler on RJ's web site has only one each battery box and spare tire carrier. But then again I have not seen photos of any other World Travelers except for those two posted on RJ web site, so I could be mistaken. Until we find out one way or the other, I wouldn't worry about those single version features on your trailer.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #32
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That water filter by the kitchen sink is an Ogden water purifier and was only available with the international package. Replacement elements are still available. Let me know if you are interested and I'll track down the info.

Great bit of Airstream history you have there and I appreciate your posting of the info and pictures.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
I thought I had that info somewhere? A quick search turned up the following links that may be some help.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ers-26368.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/273490-post10.html

On Edit: Brad, Here's your post from 08/30/06 with the info http://www.airforums.com/forums/269363-post9.html (Thanks to Janet's "How to search the forum")
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Thumbs up Way cool!

Wow, what a find! Congratulations, Paul. Now how come I never run across such gems being just down the road from you in Chattanooga? Your rare coach has a few things in common with my 1960. If yours is working, the little red Grover air compressor does a good job to pressurize the fresh water supply. Your gaucho area and streetside galley layout is like my 1960 Tradewind, but curbside of course is different as is the bath. Look at all those storage drawers! How wonderful. And is that a huge closet to the rear of the galley bulkhead? It sounds like your guess on the fridge position would be correct. I don't recall the width of my old Dometic, but it is exactly to the left of the door. I'm a little confused with your door-within-a-door. In the first photo it looks like jalousie windows inside the door where my screen is. Am I seeing things or was that maybe one of those custom options . . . totally cool!

Paul, thanks so much for sharing photos. And to Fred, thanks for sharing all the history. As always you are such an awesome resource for this kind of thing. I love a good Airstream history mystery.

BTW, if you do choose to replace the filter in your Ogden, go with General Ecology Co. like Scott from Scottnlily. I believe they had some new old stock. The other Everpure model didn't fit his correctly.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

eBay Motors: 1960 Airstream "World Traveler" vintage camper trailer (item 330229555123 end time May-10-08 09:38:53 PDT)

Wow check out the buy it now price.

Such a deal for someone!

RichardT
Old 04-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
Is that the same trailer as spoke about in this thread?? Just wondering????? SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgl6
Is that the same trailer as spoke about in this thread?? Just wondering????? SAM
Yep!
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwire View Post
As promised..........(street-side and curb-side) this is in as found condition.
bobwire,
Did you ever sell this Airstream in or after you apparently posted it on eBay in April 2008?

Do you have more "as found photos? I am interested to see if there were ghost outlines of previous WBCCI numbers above the front and rear windows that may provide a clue to previous owners and possible caravan history.

In later photos, it appears that the trailer was lightly sanded in preparation for polishing and that likely removed any evidence of old WBCCI numbers. Let me know if you have better "as found" photos of the front and back, or if you noticed and recorded ghost outlines of WBCCI numbers on the front and back. Thanks.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:32 AM   #39

1965 20' Globetrotter
1959 22' World Traveler
1971 21' Globetrotter
Lewisburg , West Virginia
Thumbs up My World Traveler research

I am the proud owner of a 1959 World Traveler which I have reason to believe was the last 1959 mole made. I have been researching WTs all summer and am writing an extensive article on the same. New information is coming in all the time--including this blog. Here is what I have found so far:

In summary, a total of only nine (9) Airstream trailers (produced from 1958 through the 1960 model year) are known to have carried the World Traveler badge.
1958-4 in OH and 1 in CA
1959-3 in OH
1960- at least 1 in OH single axle (due to the fact that there was not a demand for dual axles on a short trailer AT THAT TIME.)

Now, what we need to research is if your World Traveler is the same single axle 1960 World Traveler pictured on Vintage Airstream Photo Archives or is it the second 1960 single axle to be found. Either way, you have a VERY RARE Airstream! You either have the only single axle World Traveler ever made or you have 1 of 2 known single axle World Travelers ever made.

World Travelers are rare. Over 50 years later, seven of the original nine models are currently accounted for by way of submitted photographic evidence 6 of the 8 tandem axle models: 3 from 1958 (2 from OH and the 1 from CA) and all 3 from OH produced in 1959 plus the 1 (?) single axle version from OH produced in 1960.

The 2 most recent of these to surface was a 1958 World Traveler, which sold in April 2016 in Tennessee and the last missing 1959 World Traveler is now for sale in France. Most of these trailers (including mine) are not currently in working or in roadworthy condition, however, all appear restorable.