Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Mableton , Georgia
Woooh... made it home!

Okay, so towing a 28' travel trailer a few hundred miles may not be the best manner of learning to tow, but it went fairly well. After a 10+ hour road trip to Tennessee, I now have my 1974 Argosy safely stowed where the renovations will be undertaken.

I'm looking forward to giving her a good cleaning and assessing the situation thoroughly as we begin plan out steps we'll take to get her road & camping ready.

I'm very thankful for all the knowledge shared in this forum, it has already a saved me much time and heartache!

Here we are as the journey home begins...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PastedGraphic-1 copy.png
Views:	74
Size:	547.4 KB
ID:	204452  

Old 01-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome!

When you get a chance, be sure to update your profile with the Argosy info. Is it a 26' trailer?

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Mableton , Georgia
She's a 28' with rear bath and center double bunk beds DKB_SATX. Profile updated, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Welcome!

When you get a chance, be sure to update your profile with the Argosy info. Is it a 26' trailer?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Congratulations! I know you will have fun with your new project. Look forward to seeing more pictures as you go along.
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwntreader View Post
Okay, so towing a 28' travel trailer a few hundred miles may not be the best manner of learning to tow, but it went fairly well. After a 10+ hour road trip to Tennessee, I now have my 1974 Argosy safely stowed where the renovations will be undertaken.

I'm looking forward to giving her a good cleaning and assessing the situation thoroughly as we begin plan out steps we'll take to get her road & camping ready.

I'm very thankful for all the knowledge shared in this forum, it has already a saved me much time and heartache!

Here we are as the journey home begins...
Learning to tow...
Let me warn you. After getting delusions of adequacy with my first Airstream (first trailer EVAH!) I volunteered to tow a nice couple's trailer home for them from my campground. Hubby had broken his arm and shoulder. Less than 200 miles almost all on interstate, but the trailer was a SOB - square old box/some other brand, etc.

That thing towed like a psychotic rotweiler! I learned things about towing I never expected!!! And I said words under my breath that would have made a Marine DI blush. The nice man paid for my gas and gave me a bottle of 12 year old single malt, but what I really needed was horse tranquilizers and a massage!

You HAVE learned a lot of the things about towing a nice aerodynamic trailer. Keep right on learning... but beware the jabberwocky and the SOB's!

Enjoy your new trailer, Paula
Old 01-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Mableton , Georgia
Thanks for the enjoyable read Paula! I'll certainly beware the SOBs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Learning to tow...
Let me warn you. After getting delusions of adequacy with my first Airstream (first trailer EVAH!) I volunteered to tow a nice couple's trailer home for them from my campground. Hubby had broken his arm and shoulder. Less than 200 miles almost all on interstate, but the trailer was a SOB - square old box/some other brand, etc.

That thing towed like a psychotic rotweiler! I learned things about towing I never expected!!! And I said words under my breath that would have made a Marine DI blush. The nice man paid for my gas and gave me a bottle of 12 year old single malt, but what I really needed was horse tranquilizers and a massage!

You HAVE learned a lot of the things about towing a nice aerodynamic trailer. Keep right on learning... but beware the jabberwocky and the SOB's!

Enjoy your new trailer, Paula
Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Congratulations on your new Argosy. When you are ready to go camping, check out the Southeastern Camping Unit website Southeastern Camping Unit (012) | Moving WBCCI Forward! There is something going on almost every month of the year. We would love to have another Argosy join in the fun.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Scary, isn't it?

My wife and I signed up for a weekend of safe RV driver training at a local CDL school the first weekend we picked up our trailer (of course, we had to drive it from the dealer to the CDL school with a 5 minute tutorial! ).

It was money well spent! And truth be told, when the exercise was to parallel park the trailer (not kidding! ) my wife did it first try. I on the other hand required several attempts.

Still a great investment and highly recommended!

Good luck!