Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

1965 22' Safari
Holly Springs , United States
Wish us luck!

Well, after five months of interaction with the NC DMV we finally secured a title for our 1965 Safari and towed her home to our place near Raleigh, NC.

She's in the driveway now, full of decades of dirt and mouse droppings. So far as I can tell, NOTHING works!

Most of the interior is original, but there's no fridge, hot water tank, and someone stuck a window AC unit in there.

I can't wait to get things cleaned up, but don't really know where to start. Any suggestions are heartily welcomed. Can't wait to go camping....

Thanks!

Dave & Debbie,
Holly Springs, NC

PS-- tried to upload a pic but failed in the process.
davereit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Clean up
Read Forums
Don't throw away parts your not sure of
Read Forums
Seal up against the elements
Read Forums
Then decide if renovating
or camping
Read Forums

By then you will have discovered your major issues and know whether you need a frame shell off floor redo. And them you'll red those threads and get more informed.

The very beginning is quite overwhelming but it puzzles itself together.

Double the time and money you first thought and it may never be done.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nuke and pave? How far are you going? Full Monte/shell off?

Keep parts as best intact. Store carefully.

Make a MAP of all screw locations... It is handy to have some cardboard, draw an outline and document where each is removed. Save the cardboard documentation by taping it to the removed part. That way when you are ready to reinstall you will have a clue about where they started life.

Get a good respirator and filters. Get some goggles, heavy rubber gloves (so you don't get Mouse stuff in your eyes and lungs.) get shop vac with extra Hipa filters. I also use huge garbage bags inside and cut a hole for the "inlet" then "tape to the inner wall from inside". Keeps the tank cleaner and you can lift out debris without big "dust up".

While it is dry outside, get the exterior sealed up. Check skylights and Windows, missing/loose rivets. Careful what tape you use. Some can damage exterior coating or aluminum. Painters tape works well but is not meant to be "in place" for months. Waxing prior to placing tape will make removal and possible damage less likely.

Did I mention "take and PRINT out the pictures of whatever you remove and tape to cardboard map you made above. Take too many... You won't regret that.

Disconnection ALL POWER... Remove batteries. Use "shop lights" for your lighting. I bought 4' LED's that look like fluorescent tubes and fit in the lamp fixture with slight wiring changes. It gives off lots of light, little heat ( better than the halogens you can buy, IMHO)..and you can hang from the shell as you loosen screws and hang there. Run power cord out window... This allows you to move in and out without stepping all over the cord and keep MOST rain out as you work.

Block trailer at Center Balance point, this is where trailer loads tend to focus. Then rum the "stabilizers" onto some 1' square plywood chunks. (Plywood won't let the stabilizer shift like plastic "Lego" blocks. Stabilize the FRAME!!! Do not "lift" the corners!! That can "twist" /flex the frame/shell.

Ok, let us know when that is done. Post pics to "tinypic" or other external site to ease uploads and be able to sort your pictures/sequences/ important items like "hidden fasteners".. You can post links to the tinypic site easily.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote