Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2006, 04:54 AM   #1

1995 25' Excella
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Exclamation Winter living

Hi All - I'm new here. I live in Albuquerque but I work alternate two week period up in Farmington, NM on the Colorado boarder. While working I live in my 1995 Excella 25. It gets cold in Farmington - in the teens to 20s at night. I know about heat tape on the water line - do I also need it on the dump line? Do I need to put some sort of barrier around the outside of the trailer below the trailer to the ground ? Will the interior pipes freeze if I leave the furnace set to 50 degrees? Will they freeze if I turn off the furnace and heat with an electric interior heater? How about the water heater tank if I don't leave the hot water turned "on" all the time?

Help! Thanks, Atherton42
atherton42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Atherton42, welcome! You might want to check out the "Winterizing & Winter Living" forum and also the search feature at the top of the page. This is a topic that comes up often, especially at this time of year. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Will they freeze if I turn off the furnace and heat with an electric interior heater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atherton42
Hi All - I'm new here. I live in Albuquerque but I work alternate two week period up in Farmington, NM on the Colorado boarder. While working I live in my 1995 Excella 25. It gets cold in Farmington - in the teens to 20s at night. I know about heat tape on the water line - do I also need it on the dump line? Do I need to put some sort of barrier around the outside of the trailer below the trailer to the ground ? Will the interior pipes freeze if I leave the furnace set to 50 degrees? Will they freeze if I turn off the furnace and heat with an electric interior heater? How about the water heater tank if I don't leave the hot water turned "on" all the time?

Help! Thanks, Atherton42
Hi atherton42,

Yes!

I have the same year, model & size Airstream as you do.
I purchased mine in Seattle in Feb. 2003 and hauled it back to ABQ.

While overnighting in Utah, I thought I would save on propane and run an electric heater inside instead of using the furnace.
Big mistake!
The holding tanks froze up and I could not dump them.
When I got back to ABQ they thawed out without any apparent damage.

Later I learned that the furnace heat ducts are routed down by the holding tanks for the express purpose of keeping them from freezing.

By the way, Ken J from Durango, CO and I are trying to form a new WBCCI unit called the Four Corners Unit. If you like to camp in the scenic areas of the Southwest, then feel free to join us. More info at the web page link in my signature.

Jerry
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #4

1995 25' Excella
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Wintering in Farmington, NM

Hi - nice to hear about the 4 Corners area Airstream group. Please add me to any emailing list you have.

I'll keep in mind about the frozen holding tanks. I actually plan to deal with that issue by adding some antifreeze to the tanks in really cold weather. I am more concerned about whether the pipes will freeze if I use an electric heater and leave the cabinet doors open at night? And how about the water heater tank? I sure don't want to have to drain that daily - or leave it on all the time - too much propane.

I suppose in the final analysis it's cheaper and easier to spend the $$$ on heat than to have to repair burst lines or tanks - but is there some other way? (No - I can't haul to southern AZ for the winter!)

Mike Atherton
atherton42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Mike,

I've camped in freezing weather in my rear-bath Argosy, and the only issue I had was with the trap under the bathtub freezing. I made up a very short fresh water hose and used electrical wrap from the pipe under the faucet all the way to the trailer.

But this may be less of a consideration on the Argosy because two of the tanks - fresh water and black water are above the floor line and get non-forced air circulation from the trailer.

In the Excella, I plan to run the furnace this winter whenever it gets down near freezing. Happily, it lit off for me today without any problems, strange noises, or odd odors. (Then I remembered that the trailer door was open.)

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote