Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I suppose I sounded like I was opting out of AS as a retirement option. NOT totally, I havent given up yet.

AND,, thank you for some positive. I have come to realize that people who make bold statements here do so because they have issues with their AS and other things? I would hope you are correct in when you say that the majority of owners do hot have the issues that I have mentioned. There are lots here too (almost everyone) that love everything about AS. Some seem to accept the quality...or lack of it and take it in stride. But of course there is a lot of quality lacking in SOB too. And I would guess 80% of all AS owners don't participate in this forum, at least the new owners anyway. As this forum is vastly for vintage owners etc.

I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP ON AS ARE OUR RETIREMENT VEHICLE. I AM looking for reason to purchase one. I know about the asthertics etc. It is the reason I got interesting in the beginning. I understand I have a great dealer close to me in SPOKANE and have done some talking with them. They seem like great people to me and I have some testimony to back that up. I am rambling here as to find ??? who knows what I will find? Confidence was fleeting but time will help.

I said in another forum where there were some very serious complainers about their AS and the quality that I was going to buy one anyway. It just seems like the thing to do. The adventures, the people, the journey are calling and travel is in my blood. I will always be welcome in an AS anywhere.

SO WHAT THE HELL AM I SCARED OF??? LOL
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #42
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Scared of commitment? It is a guy thing you know. ;-)

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #43
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79
Mostly due to shoddy detail from the factory and leaks....leaks??? HE say they get (in his words) "90 percent of all AS come back for leak repair in the first two years of ownership. They also sell Lance campers...and as a comparison HE told me only about 10 percent of the Lances campers leak in the first two years of ownership. Thats scary to me...I want an AS so bad I can taste it.
Of course, they will still be leaking down the road in another 30 years, and the Lance campers will probably all be in the big RV park in the sky.
Also, Airstream owners have a higher expectation of quality than most other RV owners.
I owned a Daewoo car that I was very happy with, but if the car had been a Cadillac, I would have been screaming bloody murder about what poor car it was.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #44
Hawkeyes & Harleys

2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
We looked at other small SOBs. When my better half stepped in her first AS she said this one doesn't make my eyes water and doesn't smell. As good a reason as any plus like others state "there COOL".
HOG-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I am working on my brother to take the plunge. He's always had SOB's and always liked the Airstreams - he just felt he couldn't afford one. He never buys new - like me he's just too thrifty to take a depreciation hit. He keeps his trailers quite a while and typically only sells them when someone comes along and asks to buy it because he keeps everything he owns in as-new condition, some times better. He'd be a great Airstream owner. I'm starting to send him pictures of used ones I find in his area that are listed for sale. I really hope I can bring him over from the dark side. Maybe meeting them half way at a campground in the mountains this summer and him seeing the typical crowd of folks coming in a steady stream to chat about the Flying Cloud will bring him over the line.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
...seeing the typical crowd of folks coming in a steady stream to chat about the Flying Cloud will bring him over the line.

Barry
Or, if he's a bit of an introvert, it might send him running for the hills!!!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #47
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
The trailer's are cool, the people who own them are cool and being so different from everybody else is cool. Oh yeah, we have cool get togethers, and you can party with airstreamers 52 weeks a year if you want. Or, it's cool just traveling by yourself in the icon of independence. Looks like cool is the word for me.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Arriving at Airstream

The journeys are as interesting as the owners.

Another thread that compliments this topic is at:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...med-28488.html

Baseline: A friend's 6 yr. old SOB is looking 90. Our 23 yr. old Airstream is looking great, feeling strong, looking forward to another 23 yrs. & then more.

em.

ps How many brands of travel trailers can be seriously considered as something to pass on to your children?

pss Read my tagline.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:23 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Or, if he's a bit of an introvert, it might send him running for the hills!!!
He drives hotrods so he's no introvert. His 35 Ford always draws attention and it's a beauty he built from the ground up. The same with his 54 Ford Wagon. Yep, this boy needs an Airstream in a big way.....

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #50
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
Longevity (holds value)
Aerodynamic (better fuel mileage)
Quality interior (real wood cabs, hardware)
Cool and Classically unique (not everyone has one)
Have loved them since I was a kid (love at first sight!)

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:54 AM   #51
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Thought I’d revisit this thread as I got to thinking about it as we were heading home late Sunday night from yet another awesome weekend in the AS.
We have done over 3k miles this season and will probably double that by the time we put her away for another (long) New England winter. I just can’t help thinking how durable and well built this camper is; lot’s of miles being towed (on some not so nice roads), kids, dogs, rain, etc, etc. In other words; lots of hard use (not to be confused with “abuse”) and she just keeps on ticking. Yes, we have replaced a few appliances, and I do keep up on maintenance (bearings, brakes, etc). Every year we use her more and more, going further and more often. We have had SOB’s and after 5 years or so, they start to leak, hatches don’t close, etc. But not the AS. Rock solid everywhere; doors, cabinets, windows, tows like a dream. It really is worth the price of admission, especially if you camp a lot. The more we use her, the more we appreciate her. Wally sure got it right!

Bill
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Why An Airstream??

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
.... The same with his 54 Ford Wagon. Yep, this boy needs an Airstream in a big way.....

Barry
Right-on Barry!!! It just don't get no better than go'n anywhere in a Stream.........anywhere!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01915.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	43976   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01926.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	43977  

Old 08-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #53
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Well, I've read every post on this thread and only Goin camping, BillTex, Condoluminum, ben4981, claybags, Barkingdogg, moosetags, rickandsandi, Alumatube, DFord79, HOG-I, nohillgrish and razorback gave the right answer.

Yes, they're well built for the most part, yes they last for years, yes the floorplans are well thought out....but so are some SOBs, and if you follow routine maintenance, ie: reseal the roof every two years, etc, an SOB will last too.

The real, and only, reason IMO is that we own Airstreams is because it's COOL to own one. Hell, I met a psychiatrist in a RV Park in California who told me that the only reason I owned my Airstream was because I was narcissistic and craved attention. My response was that if he were actually a good psychiatrist, he'd make more money and be able to afford an Airstream.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
My response was that if he were actually a good psychiatrist, he'd make more money and be able to afford an Airstream.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #55
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Started out in tents... moved up to a basic pop-up camper then 'splurged and got one with an auto lift, 'bathroom & shower', A/C... overkill for a canvas sided box. Looked at gazillions of SOB's and after my eyes quit burning & watering from whatever it was they made those things out of, I relented to the draw of the Airstream. As a kid and then an adult one, I always gravitated to the lone Airstream I'd see around. Just HAD to check it out and admire it. They just made sense design-wise considering they're towed behind a truck... pulling a big box on wheels behind me driving didn't seem logical. Oh well, sure are alot of them big boxes on wheels around though.

Besides the asthetics and confort, I figured if they're good enough for NASA, wId probably be pretty pleased myself... and I am!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Right-on Barry!!! It just don't get no better than go'n anywhere in a Stream.........anywhere!!!
NICE cars! And my buddy bought an Airstream. The almost absolute twin to mine. A 1951 (registered as a '52) Flying Cloud, serial number is 30 exactly older than mine. The downside is his is far nicer than mine so I'm now harassing him for that . His is shinier, almost zero for exterior marks, and the interior is gorgeous original. He needs to update it so it will function in todays world, but it sure is neat. It will hit the road next spring so his wagon towing his rig and our set up should be a lot of fun.

Barry
Old 08-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Hell, I met a psychiatrist in a RV Park in California who told me that the only reason I owned my Airstream was because I was narcissistic and craved attention. My response was that if he were actually a good psychiatrist, he'd make more money and be able to afford an Airstream.

Frederic
Ha! That's a hoot. Good come-back! We bought an AS because we not only felt it was the best on the market (after owning a SOB motorhome), but because of the classic, aerodynamic design, historical presence, and she shear sense of joy we have in owning and camping in one!

Those that don't understand it never will.

All things aluminum!
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #58
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
.... told me that the only reason I owned my Airstream was because I was narcissistic and craved attention.
Frederic
I have started to reply to this one several times and have deleted the response for various reasons. I guess I will just note that this comment says more about the speaker than the subject.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #59
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I'm not sure how to take that, Rodney!

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #60
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Sorry about that. I mean that the comment says more about the psychiatrist than it does about you or airstream owners in general. Hope that clears it up.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote