Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
I think it is a love it or hate it relationship... a passion or obession

When the time comes to make a decision to buy an RV I think the choice is either SOB or Airstream - some of the airstream wannabees are close to which relates to some peoples obsession for "aluminum".

I would question the quality beyond the shell and design of the shell - I have seen some pretty shoddy workman ship behind the surface of even the 2000's

But then I think quality has everything to do with the buyer and their knowledge and expectations.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Why buy?

Because!!!!!
pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_carmv
It seems that there is a certain personality type that buys Airstreams. I am curious why you all made the choice to buy one – was it because of the product appeal, or something more emotional. I have always loved them and am interested in your thoughts.
You may find some answers here:

Why did you choose Airstream?
What mkaes Airstream such a legend?

For me, besides being an American icon, it's unique - unlike any other trailers out there!

"It's not a RV, it's an Airstream"

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #24
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
We have owned 3 SOB class A RVs , but there is nothing like the beauty and quality of the AS. Think about it ...longevity of product , persons that value all that is important in the RV experience , classic style , and a great forum ...what else could YOU want ?
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
All the aforementioned reasons..plus.......

They are just too CO0OL !!!!!

Jeff
Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
They are cool, great to camp in. I gave a lot more for our 67 Caravel than I could have bought a much newer comparable (used) rig for. But after owning it for 4 years I am pretty sure I could sell it for more than I paid. With interest rates as they are it's a pretty good investment and we get to camp in great places and be a part of the Airstream community.
Barkingdogg
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Built tough!

I like the fact it can support a whole tree while protecting the occupants .

I have seen many SOBs cut in half all the way to the frame from this size of tree.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Pictures0001.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	29110  
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #28

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We were drawn to Airstream because they look so cool. They are also well made and have the best resale value (not that we would ever sell our baby).

We drive a 1956 aqua blue Thunderbird and camp in an Airstream. What can I say? We are into American icons.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
We bought our Airstream Safari because it was different. At first we only intended to use it as a changing house and bathroom for our new inground pool. Before too long we wanted to start fixing it up and make it ready to take on the road after the pool was closed. Haven't regretted the purchase for a minute. It still serves both purposes for us, pool house in the summer and a great place to spend our spring and fall on the road.

Larry
Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
You know when it's right!

We can't claim to have done any due diligence. It wasn't about quality or durability. We really didn't know how good they are.
We were on our first day of an eight day trip to Baja in our SOB moho when the motor blew an hour and a half from home. It was spring break and there were no coaches available to rent from the big rental companies (we tried them all to salvage the trip). A CHP officer recommended a storage yard in Yucaipa where they did repairs and, he thought, may have some rentals. We got towed there and were waiting to see if one of the private owners would let us take a coach to Baja. Sitting out front on consignment was a 1985 345. With nothing else to do, I went out and walked through it. HAD TO HAVE IT! About half way down to Baja I casually asked Deb "did you notice that Airstream they had for sale, it was pretty nice?". When we returned the following week she toured it also. Three weeks later, after looking at two more in Northern Cal, we bought it.
The cost was slightly less than twice what a crate motor was going to run for the SOB. It has turned out to be all of the things that the others have mentioned. I own a few classic cars and never get tired of the conversations that they generate. The AS is exactly the same. The projects are fun too! We feel like we have had a part in the coaches design and enjoy it when others appreciate the work. Needless to say, the people we have met at the Forums Rallys have been icing on a very sweet cake.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I liked the look and the fact that it tows easier. My first time camping was with another couple in an sob, it took us forever to set-up the camper, I watched an older couple come in after we had set-up and do the same operation in minutes. When I was a kid in the 50's and the circus would come to town all the performers were in Airstreams, this told me alot about the product. My first Airstream was a 74 it had fewer structural problems and the interioir was in better physical condition than many of the other brand trailers that were a few years old. How often do you see a wooden framed trailer that is 30 years old still in use? Its a good product. I have since become a member of the WBCCI and the family that I have met and grown to love is much important than the Airstream itself.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:40 AM   #32
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Why Buy?

Because we couldn't get one for free!

And if I have to have a trailer in my yard - at least it'll be a good one.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #33
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
When I was a kid in the 50's and the circus would come to town all the performers were in Airstreams, this told me alot about the product.
Does this mean we are like a bunch of clowns?
Couldn't resist...
Old 11-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I am unaware of any other trailer that evokes this much passion from so many very intelligent and capable people. We enjoy camping very much and have had a lot of SOB's over the years but we've always lusted after the "right" Airstream because in our minds if we were going to have the best trailer we could buy it would have to be an Airstream. When we bought ours we were exactly right, there is nothing finer to tow, to live in, and to look out at when it's not in use and get the old wanderlust going.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
If you want a 30 year old trailer, what else is still on the road?
Ditto...

Most people do not believe that our A/S is 30 years young

Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #36
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Cool Factor X2

Owning an Airstream is a coming of passage. Sandi and I have been tent campers our whole lives. We have seen all the weather you can imagine from inside a tent. I knew I want an Airstream. I knew I had to have an Airstream. It is one of those genes we are born with. I was the unfortunate kid on the block. My family didn't own an Airstream. Heck, my family didn't go camping. I had to do it with friends. As I grew older (12) I knew what I wanted, to be out of doors and have one of those shiny things. Well when were were ready we did it. From the tent right into our Airstream. Now we are geting married at an Airstream Rally, bought my brother a 1960 Tradewind and looking at an Overlander. An American Icon.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
New Milford , Connecticut
I was thrust into airstreaming, hopefully before I get too poor I will reap the benefits of the silver bullet Sure looks like fun and I know the 47 year old trailer will look incredible when it is done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	niceday.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	36581  
JCIPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:07 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
We were both drawn to the AS MHs due to their cool factor. We are attracted to a lot of unusual vehicles and just could not get away from the fact that we had to have one of these. I adore our old SOB (Winnie Brave) but the 310 is just so AWESOME!!! I love the fact that the inside resembles a private jet and the outside looks like it could go to the moon!

We also like the easier care--no roof replacement! Yee-HA!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
American Icon, the cool factor, the unique build, BUT...Airstreams are not the best at quality control. After talking to many, many owners they all say pretty much the same thing. OVER priced and a pain in the ass to maintain. I talked to one of the largest RV dealers (actually I managed to talk to the Maintenance manager) on the WEST COAST. The sell AS and many other brands. He tells me they spend more time on AS for warranty work than any other brand, PEROID, and HE owns a 97 safari by the way. Mostly due to shoddy detail from the factory and leaks....leaks??? HE say they get (in his words) "90 percent of all AS come back for leak repair in the first two years of ownership. They also sell Lance campers...and as a comparison HE told me only about 10 percent of the Lances campers leak in the first two years of ownership. Thats scary to me...I want an AS so bad I can taste it. But am very disalusioned after talking with many AS owners over the past couple of years. Most of them have NEWER AS and most say they would not buy again.???? I am so sad I am almost in tears...I have been planning on an AS for 10 years as a retirement vehicle.

Matter of fact I was at Costco this very morning filling with fuel. (this is what set me off on this rant today). There was a retired couple in from of me with a Holiday Rambler motor home filling up. I ask them about the dealer they bought from etc. and how they liked their motor home. They said it was just over a year old and had just got it out of storage. The loved it....She spoke up and said...AND IT HASNT LEAKED YET. I ask Her why the leak commpent. She told me they sold a 31 foot Airstream before they bought the Motor home. She couldnt wait to get rid of it. She said everything in it leaked including the roof and plumbing. They never could get it all fixed???? SAD. She also told me when they retired a few years ago they bought with some friends who retired with them. The both bought Identical AS's. Their friends are selling theirs too. IT LEAKS? ...god...I am so sad.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Well most isn't everyone because I would buy again in a second. I think when you read something like these forums it gives all of us all chance to share the problems that we have with our Airstreams. That's part of the purpose. What you don't hear are the vast majority that don't have problems or problems that are so small they do the necessary adjustment by themselves. There isn't a mechanical object made that isn't subject to needing adjustments or fixed at some point. People really like to tell when they think they got a lemon or got screwed by purchasing this or that. It's human nature, but if you base your decision on a couple of complainers your going to miss out on one of the finest trailers built and all the fine people that go with the experience. We're going to miss ya.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote