Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Just Retired~ Airstream??

Freedom , Wisconsin
Why Airstream?

We are newly retired & would like to do some traveling. Aside from the "name" what is it about the Airstream that justifies the price? Thanks for convincing us!
Kenmar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Welcome to the AirForums!

Can't tell you why for trailers, but in my case, for the Interstate, there are several companies all making competing Class B models based on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter. Before I looked at the Airstream Interstate, I also checked out the Roadtrek Adventurous and Winnebago Era.

All three had similar— but not quite identical— layouts. The real differences between the three came in the fit and finish of the interior. The higher quality of the Airstream not only obvious at a glance, but it was worth every penny of the increased price, and then some. The Airstream interior was the only one that actually looked like it belonged in a Mercedes body.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
My reaction is that if you need to be convinced then you probably don't want one. We never considered anything else. I don't think I'd spend the money on something I needed to be talked into, you'd probably not be happy, which is, after all, the goal.

Good luck with your decision.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
What? Besides the fact that just looking at one makes you sort of smile inside?

Well, this is what we love about ours:

It looks, well, awesome: a pleasing aluminum shape; no trendy/tacky paint job, no awkward corners, no imposing walls of steel.

The rounded interior without a corner between wall and ceiling has a way of feeling more spacious, as if the walls and ceiling are somehow endless. The roundness feels cozy inside.

The older ones have a nice, rounded shape that remind us of the ones we loved to see on the road when we were kids. The older ones also polish up to a very nice shine that just plain looks cool.

An older trailer also provides opportunities for personalization. Efforts spent won't be wasted on a trailer that's about to run out of time. A well cared for Airstream can last longer than we will. We've had oodles of fun and satisfaction designing, implementing and enjoying the changes we've made in ours (blog in my sig lines shows some of the stuff).

The aluminum framing makes them lighter weight. This is more true with the older models, since the newer ones have heavier frames and more conventional wood framing in the interior furnishings. A lighter trailer is easier to pull, doesn't require as beefy a tow vehicle, and saves on fuel.

They last far longer than other trailers. We bought ours used. It was 40 years old. How many other trailer makes are still out on the road after 40 years?

They are aerodynamically more efficient than boxy trailers. This makes them easier to tow.

They don't collapse from rot, since the frames and skins are rust and rot proof aluminum. So even if one has been long neglected, it is usually repairable.

Old Airstreams never end up in a landfill. At the very least, they are worth something as scrap.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Here's my two cents:

We looked at trailers, and class B (van conversions) and class C "mini" motorhomes, even 5th wheel trailers. My wife's folks had all except the class B over the years. We decided on trailers because we already had a Suburban and we watched her folks struggle as they got older with "TOADS" in the Class C and before that, just hitching and un-hitching a 5th wheel to run an errand from the campground. We looked at SOB trailers from the $12K to $25K range, both new and used but realized that the Airstreams not ony looked more "classic" but stood out from the crowd. Then we found a 36 year-old Airstream, remarkably original and remarkably cared-for, that was way less then the low price we'd been looking at, but with far more features. That was last May.

Since, we've found the Airstream is not only a great decision, but it pulls better than we ever thought, is more aerodynamic and tracks better at speed and with big rigs going and coming. I think it is better built then some of the cheap, new SOBs we looked at.

We have not been disappointed. Oh - and welcome to the forums - just THIS resource (Airforums) is something that can't be duplicated on the other forum sites.
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Oh, yeah, another HUGE perk of owning an Airstream is the connection to all the other Airstreamers.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
70 years in existence and 70-80 percent still in use.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
We have an Airstream because we like to stand out from the crowd and we like things that are unique and different. I've had people stop at the house to look at it, approach us in parking lots, rest areas and gas stations, and everyone at the trailer park is your friend when you have an interesting Airstream to look at.

Sofar we've only seen one other Airstream in any park we've stayed at. And you can identify an Airstream. My parents have a 5th wheel and you can't pick it out of a crowd. Everyone knows who the Airstream people are. I also have a Flex, which again stands out, not like the grey and black sedans all my co-workers drive.

Also, we had been looking at a brand new 22' white box trailer, but found that we could buy our "77 Safari, and restore it to our specifications and tastes for around the same money. In 10 years the white box will be disposable while our Airstream will likely still be on the road.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
They tow better and you can go to Airstream rallies.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Ditto everything WebSpinner said.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
1. Life span. I understand a typical white box trailer is about dead after 10 years - IF you've kept the roof coated every year.

2. Resale value. Mine's worth probably a couple thou more than I paid for it, 10 years ago.

3. Towing stability. I've done things with mine that were flat out dumb, and never had a problem.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Have you ever heard the phrase "Pride of ownership"? It is an apt phrase to apply here!!!
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forums!

Because it is an Airstream.

Happy travels.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #14

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Because it is an Airstream.

Happy travels.

JD
Well said! Now sign up for the rally!!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
None , Happy
I love the way other brand owners look at your Airstream as you pull in! You can see the envy in their faces!

Definitely the easiest towing.

Definitely the best resale.

Defnitey functional.

Never have "the wish I had feeling" except when you see how another Streamer has customized something better...
thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Ask Yourself These Questions

1. Do you want lots of room?
2. Do you want copious outside storage?
3. Do you want lots of inside cabinet space?
4. Do you want room for his and her recliners and a loveseat?
5. Do you want two or three slideouts?
6. Do you like ducted air conditioning that is whisper quiet?
7. Would you like to attend this year's Airstream Rally at White Sands National Monument?

If you answered yes to any of the first six questions, you should probably purchase a big white box. The brand really doesn't matter. They are all pretty much the same.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Towability, livability, durability, and of course the COOL FACTOR.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There are Airstreams and then everything else, a league of its own. So it's easy to shop for.

The decisions are what size, what model, what decor. Then get a tow vehicle that best matches it, not too small and not too big. Then get a high quality hitch system.

Then learn the unique maintenance requirements of Airstream to keep it looking and operating as new.

Then you're ready to plan for retirement travel in comfort and style.

doug k

PS: Even the largest Airstream is tiny.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
The perceived value is greatly over rated! There I said it. They do tow better and resale is better than other brands, but certainly not a money making investment. Almost all of the accessories are from the same manufacturers that supply other RV manufacturers. While all of the reasons cited above are subjective, one of the problems I have is the lack of dealer/service coverage. I've owned boats and RV's for almost 50 years and once you take the time to get the things the way you like them, problems see to go away.

Would I recommend an Airstream? I would include it in a short list of several brands for you to consider.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Why Airstream?

Four years ago the possibility of traveling more became real and we began to look at RVs. We were former tent campers and clueless about RVs.

We were open to just about everything - off we went to multiples of dealers and RV shows.

** Advice - look a lots of RVs as you refine your wish list. **

We decided that we should consider how we would use the RV and where. "Drive it or tow it," KOA-type facilities or state parks? Frequent long trips or long stays or shorter trips. Three-season or four-season camping? (Some would say there is no such thing as a four season RV. Others have camped in severe cold - that's what they do. Montana in winter or Virginia in winter?) Was this to be a Blue Highways vehicle? (Thank you William Least Heat-Moon for a clasic story.) Was this to be a Long Long Trailer? (Thank you Clinton Twiss and Lucy.) What was our budget and with that what could we buy? Was a new vehicle affordable? Was it wise?

All of those and more are things you could consider and could get lots - LOTS - let me hear Amen! - of opinions and advice.

** Advice - there are too many choices/compromises. Expect a mostly emotional decision and go with it. **

While we were filtering those thoughts we decided that:

- a used vehicle gave us more for the money - if we could buy a quality "gently used" vehicle;
- as first-time RV campers we really didn't know how much we would stick with it - points again for used; ("We can always sell it without taking the depreciation hit off the lot - or we can trade-up." Now we know we have a floorplan that really works for us and we are unlikely to change.)
- lots of shorter trips were in our immediate future until Mr. Skip could fully retire;
- we are attracted to State and National Parks and out of the way places. Smaller was better than larger for a newbie. Could a learner park a hugomongous vehicle - trailer or Class-anything - in a leetle bitty parking place without damage? We didn't want to learn that the hard way.
- in our case we had to buy the RV or buy a trailer and the tow vehicle.

Somewhere in this highly structured process Miss Kathy saw an Airstream and fell in love with the clean and functional interior. Mr. Skip was attracted to the quality reputation, etc., etc. We enjoyed a lot of luck in finding that "gently used Airstream only driven to church once a week."

In hindsight our 25-foot '06 Safari was "mostly gently used" and a great compromise for us between length and interior space. We've been mostly able to park it mostly everywhere we've gone. (There was a little event with two ninety-degree turns backing into a spot that was a challenge. We managed it - finally.)

I had to leap on some immediate maintenance items as in, "Dear, is that water coming from the skylight?" (Others in this forum would comment that all skylights leak - except the new installation procedure skylights for 2013 - and it's early yet.)

** Advice - either be handy or learn, or know a great maintenance facility and bring your wallet - or both. Think "boat" or "airplane". **

Despite our best efforts to be systematic (Mr. Skip) we made a mostly esthetic decision (Miss K) in which we have been really lucky.

Others will have their own comments and stories.

When the right situation arises you will know it. As Miss K said on our last trip out, "We've been doing this for three years and we're still learning."

Let me hear Amen!
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote