Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
The perceived value is greatly over rated! There I said it. They do tow better and resale is better than other brands, but certainly not a money making investment. Almost all of the accessories are from the same manufacturers that supply other RV manufacturers. While all of the reasons cited above are subjective, one of the problems I have is the lack of dealer/service coverage. I've owned boats and RV's for almost 50 years and once you take the time to get the things the way you like them, problems see to go away.

Would I recommend an Airstream? I would include it in a short list of several brands for you to consider.
Dennis' approach is a good one. There are other brands with better QC. If design is important to you, Airstream can be a good choice.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #30
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Before we bought our Airstream, we had an "Award," a 27 foot UK design built here in Canada. The company was a bit before their time and were building really nice aerodynamic trailers back in the seventies. Lightweight and with very attract9ve interiors.

The family owned company - reportedly in response to a union making inroads at organizing its workforce - closed its doors in the mid eighties I believe.

We owned ours for quite a few years and really loved it, but it had become a real money pit and it was time to let go.

At that time we considered all the options - give up RV'ing? Buy a Class A motorhome? Buy a new SOB?

We decided we wanted to continue RV'ing for at least a few more years and decided that an expensive motorhome didn't make sense for us as we only use an RV maybe 8-10 weeks a year so we decided we would stick with a conventional trailer.

We went to the RV shows and looked at virtually every new trailer on the market. To us, the only one that measured up to our "Award" and would be acceptable was the Airstream.

Although we could have bought a new one, I didn't feel right about taking the depreciation hit and so we bought one a few years old.

We continue to be very happy with it - although have earned that nothing is perfect - not even an Airstream!

I'm not sure they are fully worth the premium cost, but we find ours suits us perfectly in every way, very happy with the layout, it looks and tows great, and the compliments are not hard to take!

We actually had someone stop us once in a car park and ask if we would agree to take their picture standing next to it! That never happened with our "Award" - although it too attracted lots of interest!

In some ways it hasn't quite lived up to my expectations, which were probably not too realistic, but I don't regret buying it at all and would do it again!

It just makes you happy to be out using it!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
topeka , Kansas
Why Airstream, you ask?

Simple rain, Airstreams don't leak if properly maintained, everything else leaks and there is nothing you can do about it. So if you like rain dripping on your forehead in the middle of the night then an Airstream is not for you.

Stay Dry Buy an Airstream!
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
arden_dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member
1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Owning an Airstream becomes a lifestyle, hobby and fun. We've had our 19 years, made many changes, have towed it across America twice and we are on our fourth tow vehicle due to all of the use.

We ordered new beach chairs and outdoor reclining chairs last week arriving with the ice storm that hit. So although we are in the Winter season we are preparing for the Spring and summer adventures. I think that is what owning an Airstream will do for you is ensure you dream and are prepared to conquer those dreams.

Best of luck in your adventures regardless of what you choose. We aren't here to convince you to buy an Airstream but to share with you what owning an Airstream is all about.

Enjoy writing the next chapter of your life's journey.

SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member
Columbus , Ohio
They look so cute after a bad hail storm.

They cost so much that you carry less weight in your wallet.

Slide outs never leak.

You can tell really cold mornings by the frost on the inside.

I give up - why?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member
1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Because we can.
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member
2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
It is a scientific/medical fact that some people are born with or develop an aluminum deficiency. There is no cure, only treatment, which consists of involving yourself with as much aluminum as you can tolerate. In my case an aluminum cycle, a new aluminum imac, and an Airstream keep me in good health.

Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Why Airstream

It's easy to say...The trailers are great and I have never met such a great group of individuals with the same interests as me (always willing to give you a hand or advice). Personally, I am looking forward to many years of "down the road-ing."
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member
2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Why Airstream? Because I love spending a bunch of money on a new travel trailer, new tow vehicle and exotic hitch equipment. The IRS isn't taking enough of my money so I decided I needed some new charities.

Seriously, it comes down to a handful of reason for me. First, the are cool and have style. There just are not a lot of other new travel trailers or other RV's that have great contemporary interiors and exteriors that are not pretty tacky in my opinion. The next is the amount of windows and light. I'd rather have great views from inside and lots of glass, just not common in other rigs. Very light and bright inside along with the reflective interior skin creates a wonderful atmosphere.

The last and most important is I truly believe their is a great community of Airstreamers as many have already mentioned.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
London , Ontario

So like you we asked that question too. But no matter how long we looked (about 12 months) and how many dealers and shows we went to it always came back to Airstream. It's like when you buy a new house. We found that we knew it was the right house because we compared everything else to it.
Fit, finish, tow-ability, gas mileage savings boon-docking capabilities the list goes on. But then so is the dealer and the airstream community important. Never once in our search did we meet an unfriendly airstreamer. We finally bought three weeks ago and can't wait to get out there!
boomerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member
2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey

We chose Airstream not just for it's style and ease of towing, but for it's accessability. My wife had a stroke that has left her paralyzed on her right side, and we tried a class C motor home , and a 5th wheel trailer, but the steps into both were nearly impossible for her to navigate.

When we tried the Airstream the steps allowed easier access in and out for her, and we were hooked.

Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
Durham , Maine
"Why Airstream?" Why not? In all seriousness, I enjoy having something different from anyone else. I am not the "cookie cutter" type. I take pride in my two trailers...
Jared and Heather
WBCCI # 4998
AIR # 24449
Jared129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #41
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Why buy an Airstream?

1. Design (otherwise known as Good Taste)

2. Quality (compare the exterior doors on an AS vs. another brand, for example.

3. Layout (efficient use of space. Some of the white box RVs have extra length for no necessary purpose, unless you must have a curio cabinet, side tables for table lamps (vs. wall- or ceiling mounts,) or a wide screen TV.))

4. Heritage (which other brand has Airstream's lore?)

Buying a gently used AS brings down the price somewhat.

Have you ever noticed how much the interstate highway signs' symbols for RV camping look like an Airstream Bambi? If the highway departments think we've got the quinessential camper, who are we to argue?

And those jolly jumbo RVs are not cheap, either.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member
1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
I don't know if the discussion help kenmar2 but *I* found it aluminating!

Thank you all for the great "come back" lines for when my relatives say..."You bought a WHAT!?!"

aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote