Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2012 23' International
None , Happy
I love the way other brand owners look at your Airstream as you pull in! You can see the envy in their faces!

Definitely the easiest towing.

Definitely the best resale.

Defnitey functional.

Never have "the wish I had feeling" except when you see how another Streamer has customized something better...

thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Ask Yourself These Questions

1. Do you want lots of room?
2. Do you want copious outside storage?
3. Do you want lots of inside cabinet space?
4. Do you want room for his and her recliners and a loveseat?
5. Do you want two or three slideouts?
6. Do you like ducted air conditioning that is whisper quiet?
7. Would you like to attend this year's Airstream Rally at White Sands National Monument?

If you answered yes to any of the first six questions, you should probably purchase a big white box. The brand really doesn't matter. They are all pretty much the same.

Ken L
2007 Classic Limited 30 (Sold)
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Towability, livability, durability, and of course the COOL FACTOR.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There are Airstreams and then everything else, a league of its own. So it's easy to shop for.

The decisions are what size, what model, what decor. Then get a tow vehicle that best matches it, not too small and not too big. Then get a high quality hitch system.

Then learn the unique maintenance requirements of Airstream to keep it looking and operating as new.

Then you're ready to plan for retirement travel in comfort and style.

doug k

PS: Even the largest Airstream is tiny.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
The perceived value is greatly over rated! There I said it. They do tow better and resale is better than other brands, but certainly not a money making investment. Almost all of the accessories are from the same manufacturers that supply other RV manufacturers. While all of the reasons cited above are subjective, one of the problems I have is the lack of dealer/service coverage. I've owned boats and RV's for almost 50 years and once you take the time to get the things the way you like them, problems see to go away.

Would I recommend an Airstream? I would include it in a short list of several brands for you to consider.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Why Airstream?

Four years ago the possibility of traveling more became real and we began to look at RVs. We were former tent campers and clueless about RVs.

We were open to just about everything - off we went to multiples of dealers and RV shows.

** Advice - look a lots of RVs as you refine your wish list. **

We decided that we should consider how we would use the RV and where. "Drive it or tow it," KOA-type facilities or state parks? Frequent long trips or long stays or shorter trips. Three-season or four-season camping? (Some would say there is no such thing as a four season RV. Others have camped in severe cold - that's what they do. Montana in winter or Virginia in winter?) Was this to be a Blue Highways vehicle? (Thank you William Least Heat-Moon for a clasic story.) Was this to be a Long Long Trailer? (Thank you Clinton Twiss and Lucy.) What was our budget and with that what could we buy? Was a new vehicle affordable? Was it wise?

All of those and more are things you could consider and could get lots - LOTS - let me hear Amen! - of opinions and advice.

** Advice - there are too many choices/compromises. Expect a mostly emotional decision and go with it. **

While we were filtering those thoughts we decided that:

- a used vehicle gave us more for the money - if we could buy a quality "gently used" vehicle;
- as first-time RV campers we really didn't know how much we would stick with it - points again for used; ("We can always sell it without taking the depreciation hit off the lot - or we can trade-up." Now we know we have a floorplan that really works for us and we are unlikely to change.)
- lots of shorter trips were in our immediate future until Mr. Skip could fully retire;
- we are attracted to State and National Parks and out of the way places. Smaller was better than larger for a newbie. Could a learner park a hugomongous vehicle - trailer or Class-anything - in a leetle bitty parking place without damage? We didn't want to learn that the hard way.
- in our case we had to buy the RV or buy a trailer and the tow vehicle.

Somewhere in this highly structured process Miss Kathy saw an Airstream and fell in love with the clean and functional interior. Mr. Skip was attracted to the quality reputation, etc., etc. We enjoyed a lot of luck in finding that "gently used Airstream only driven to church once a week."

In hindsight our 25-foot '06 Safari was "mostly gently used" and a great compromise for us between length and interior space. We've been mostly able to park it mostly everywhere we've gone. (There was a little event with two ninety-degree turns backing into a spot that was a challenge. We managed it - finally.)

I had to leap on some immediate maintenance items as in, "Dear, is that water coming from the skylight?" (Others in this forum would comment that all skylights leak - except the new installation procedure skylights for 2013 - and it's early yet.)

** Advice - either be handy or learn, or know a great maintenance facility and bring your wallet - or both. Think "boat" or "airplane". **

Despite our best efforts to be systematic (Mr. Skip) we made a mostly esthetic decision (Miss K) in which we have been really lucky.

Others will have their own comments and stories.

When the right situation arises you will know it. As Miss K said on our last trip out, "We've been doing this for three years and we're still learning."

Let me hear Amen!
Speed is Life . . . guidance is optional . . .
The Traveling Circus: 2013 Flying Cloud 30A; 2006 Chevy Duramax Crew/LWB
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If you have aluminitis, no explanation is necessary.

If you don't, no explanation is possible.

n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
2014 Bowlus Road Chief
Cumming , Iowa
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
If you have aluminitis, no explanation is necessary.

If you don't, no explanation is possible.

Well put, Mike. You expressed my sentiment posted earlier but much more succinctly.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #23

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink If in doubt....wait 'til it's not.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member
1986 32' Excella
Surrey , British Columbia
It's about understanding...

If you need to ask why, you don't understand.
silverhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
For me and my wife we just couldn't get past the "80's ugly" interior design of every other travel trailer and fifth wheel. Look closely, they all use the exact same brown mold wallpaper. The also use the same inefficient furniture makers, though the very high end furniture is at least comfortable. Frankly, we didn't feel the slide outs improved livability, just added volume that was poorly utilized.

To us, the purpose of travel is to get outside and explore. The RV is a retreat. Airstream seems to have that figured out.
kscherzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
A lot of factors have been covered, but here are a couple more..
- Buying an Airstream means you are buying into a Community, whether internet site or WBCCI Club/Unit or just waving at fellow owners like Porsche drivers do, and visiting the other shiny silver objects in a park or campground to chat.. Other than a few fraternal organizations or Good Sam, that rarely happens with Brand X RV's...
- Yeah they are expensive new, but few should buy a brand new expensive RV to decide if they like it or it fits.. By late model used, avoid big-time depreciation, and try it to see if it is right answer.. (This could work for diesel pusher MH or big honking 5th wheel with matching swivel recliners as well..). Nobody can buy brand new RV's and sell quickly without losing money.. Many of us would rather budget for gas and admission fees to national parks than depreciation and monthly payments.
- Hard to explain value of better towing, greater durability and longer life in the abstract.. Much easier after you've towed a topheavy box with overloaded tires.. Again, same rule applies to motorhomes or 5th wheels. If you're going to travel, driveability and durability matter.
- There are so many choices between ancient fixer-uppers 1 step away from being melted into pots and pans and a 3 or 3 year old creampuff at 50% of new list price (somebody else's expensive lesson...)
- If you really want to examine the idea more closely, do attend a Forum Rally and talk to 10 or 20 owners, and see for yourself...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member
1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
I gots the aluminitis and I gots it bad!!!
Airstreamin' dreamin'.

Follow our blog!
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' International
lubbock , Texas
where did kenmar2 go? did we convince or not?

well ... I find it difficult to tell someone they should make a decision one way or another ... but, we decided on AS because of the style and the way it pulls ... I haven't actually pulled a SOB so that may be a moot point, right there. So the style is why we chose the brand.

I don't suppose AS's are all that different than SOB's cause they all get rattled over the roadway and they all have about the same appliances ... but the shell seems to stay around longer (70% still on the road and all) and they are VERY recognizable ...

when I google Airstream or do a search for Airstream for sale, manys the time that another brand trailer sneaks in and associates itself to Airstream. I guess that is another way it has become such an icon on the American hiways.

Well, Good luck with your quest for the right travel trailer for you and yours, kenmar2, and welcome to the forums! Stick around here for discussions cause there are many threads here that could very well pertain to any old trailer

jump is offline   Reply With Quote