Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
poe
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Sodus , New York
whew, old person, new here.

Wow, what a formidable website, blog, info, source, etc. Can't really make much sense out of it so far. Like I could never figure out how to thank the guy who welcomed me in!! Thanks!
Well now that I've got your attention (if indeed I do)I can explain my situation. My Airstream is a 1965 22ft Safari which I am rapidly trying to bring to the first level of restoration - the 'survival" level: road lights, brake lights, brakes, LP gas cooking stove (Magic Chef), some dents but shiny to the point of non-embarrassment. The heating stoves are both crazy. The International main LP heater just will not light, the pilot won't even try. Ok, so we're scheduled to leave upstate NY in December (brrr!) so I next turned to the strange (Made in France) heater just inside the door. Not even a HINT as to how to light that sucker!! I can see the LP gas line going into it but NOTHING as to where to put the burning match! Thought of just blasting it with a torch. So, not to freeze next month going south, it's plug in those trusty old SPACE HEATERS. The refrig is a combi GAS & electric one. How wierd to light a fire to create coldness & ice in a refrig.
Well, no big deal, it doesn't work either way, so $175 will get a 110v electric refrig from Loews and we'll work around that. Got new tires and greased the bearings, but it sure is irritating not being able to get those heaters working (not to mention non-functioning water, hot water, toilet/shower/bath, 12v generator, etc.). Hey, it's alot better than a Eureka tent.
Any advice would be so appreciated. Thanks, Bruce
poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
we will assume you have propane in the tanks and that they are turned on. regarding the catalytic heater just inside the door...have you looked for a turn-ff valve in the propane line? that needs to be in the on position - parallel to the line. in one of my rigs that valve was under the rig.

the heater should have an igniter button - and a knob to control the propane flow. turn the knob to pilot or light and move the igniter til you hear a click.

regarding the furnace - i will let others chime in.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by poe View Post
Like I could never figure out how to thank the guy who welcomed me in!! Thanks!
Ha ha, you're welcome! Don't worry, it will all become clear after a while. There's lots of folks around here who might be able to help you figure out your trailer problems.

Good luck!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
poe
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Sodus , New York
So now I wonder where & when to look for any response to my Airstream lament?
(and what does "post quick reply" or "go advanced" mean? last time I did "Post Quick Reply" it all disappeared!) and then there's "Quote message in reply?" Whew. old here.
What's a "thread" too?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
I just got my AS a few months age and was in the same boat as you with a lot of the same problems. I started by breaking everything down into smaller pieces and putting smaller post into the area for the part that was having the problem (heater in the furnace forums, refrig in the refrig forums, etc.) You will be surprised how fast people will write back with good information. Then I started calling some AS parts dealers, they to were very helpful. Hope this will help you out some. Im hoping to make my first trip in Dec also, wish me luck
Norm1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This thread covers many of the items that will help you navigate the forums:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ics-44928.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Anybody calls me old? Them'll be fighting words!

Just sayin' ...

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Welcome to airforums.com, Poe!

Suggest you take a deep breath and take it take your time: Rome (Italy or NY) wasn't built in a day, nor will you build your understanding of your new Airstream overnight.

This forum's software is one of the most popular ones around, so if you take the time to figure out how it works, it will serve you well on any other groups you may choose to join. AZ pointed you in the right direction.

As for your equipment, same suggestion. Don't be in a hurry to throw out that refridgerator; they are worth a bundle if they can be coaxed into working, and I gah-ron-tee you will want it to work if you plan to actually travel in your trailer.

The furnace, if it is original, is likely NOT worth saving. If it isn't the original one, google the name and model number and you'll likely find the owners manual.

Ditto for the Made in France heater: research it a bit, maybe it DOES work.

Time is on your side with an old Airstream, the more you study it, the more you will get out of it, and the better you will know which way to go with the individual systems.

Oh, and take pictures and post them! We are eager to see your TT (travel trailer).
Old 11-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The strange heater might be a Therm-x catalytic heater. I have one in my trailer and it works great. It runs on propane and needs no electricity. More information can be found here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/clean-repair-reuse-thermx-catalytic-heater-46068.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227/propane-catalytic-heater-in-minuet-57282.html
Lighting instructions can be found in this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/thermx-safety-heater-6125.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
poe
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Sodus , New York
Thanks for all the initial help.

Yes, the weird French catalytic heater has an igniter button. Turned on gas, opened valve, tried to activate igniter button (with right knob set on pilot) but to no avail. Striker doesn't work. But at least I now know how it should work if it would work.
Having restored many classic wooden boats over the years, I am well aware of the need for patience, research, more patience, and lots of money. Thanks for everyones tips.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Welcome! As chaotic as it may seem, the more time you spend here, as all of us do, things will get easier! Same with your AS. I agree with you on the furnace, a must have during the winter.

Good luck with it!

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #12
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Welcome Poe!

And just what makes you think that the fridge doesn't work? Not to be a wiseguy, but are you familiar with this kind of fridge? Have you ever used an ammonia absorption fridge before? How long did you leave it on? And did you try both electric and gas?

If you aren't familiar with these, they take something like six hours to cool down the first time, and of course they have no compressor, so they don't make any mechanical sounds at all. If you're familiar with them, and yours just won't work, then disregard everything past 'hello'.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
poe
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Sodus , New York
correct, and Thanks to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
we will assume you have propane in the tanks and that they are turned on. regarding the catalytic heater just inside the door...have you looked for a turn-ff valve in the propane line? that needs to be in the on position - parallel to the line. in one of my rigs that valve was under the rig.

the heater should have an igniter button - and a knob to control the propane flow. turn the knob to pilot or light and move the igniter til you hear a click.

regarding the furnace - i will let others chime in.
Thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Marion , North Carolina
Being somewhat new to AS trailers I thought my fridge was dead originally .. then I discovered I had to turn the button to electric (1975). I have controls at the bottom of my fridge door and discovered the arrow for electric meant turn the knob that way. Needless to say it works flawlessly now. After a day I finally found the valve for the furnace inside the cabinet beside the furnace, turned it on and the furnace worked with a few glitches. Hope my post helps.
wildun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Our Frige is electric and Propane driven...We were really surprised that the propane part of it worked. Down below- a toggle switch and a gas line valve switch...with a long 'contraption' That has a flint inside it, and if you get it in there right, you twitch/flick it while holding down the pea sized red button...then you hear FOOOM! and hold button some more then let off. If the gas part of your refrigerator works, then you lucked out. But good luck getting it all together---all the others are right, and once you do get something figured out and fixed-it will last a long long time.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
WELCOME POE
From another ole person. Just stay tuned here and please remember "THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION" is the one U DONT ASK.
There is a wealth of info here from those who have BEEN THERE,DONE THAT. Use the search features when possible.
Glad to have y0u with us.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
poe
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Sodus , New York
Roger, the person who helped me regarding the stove

Roger-
Yes you hit it on the head - I have absolutely no knowledge about that ammonia absorptioner) stove in my AS. Its a Dometic gas-electric.
The electric doesnt work (turn off gas line & turn on electric switch and put thermostat on 4), hmm, don't know if I turned the other black dial to 0 or not. running out to check. Didn't matter. Doesn't work. At any rate, same goes for the gas side - electric off, black dial to 4, gas on, hold pilot button in, make sparks with igniter and nothing happens. its alot like the main heater on the other side of the AS - hold pilot in light match - nothing happens. If the 4 burner gas stove didn't work so well I'd be sure there was a gas turnoff valve I missed somewhere.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
poe,

Don't have my service manual at hand just now, but EVERY gas device in an AS has its own shut-off valve, usually in a fairly obvious place, but also sometimes on the underside of the trailer.

Would suggest you find the one for the refer before going any further...
Old 11-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #19
poe
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Sodus , New York
yup, keep tryin stuff.

Never could get the main heater pilot to work (days of trying), so finally just blasted it with butane torch and keep pilot valve down and it worked!!
Same treatment never revived the refrig tho so I'm poised to rip it out and install new 110 v electric unit from Loews (for $175.). Thanks for your commentary & spirit.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
poe
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Sodus , New York
Success with main heater pilot - so Poe 14 - Air Stream Problems 42

Wild, never did find another shutoff valve for the main heater, but followed my brothers (Navy Jet Chief Mechanic) advice and blasted the pilot with Butane torch and it burned off and kicked into action - I NOW HAVE HEAT!! You just gotta try it all. And many thanks for your thoughts and time.
The same procedure did NOT work however on the dam refrig!! But that is not quite as important here in the northcountry !! !! Hey thanks for your information from your experience & perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
poe,

Don't have my service manual at hand just now, but EVERY gas device in an AS has its own shut-off valve, usually in a fairly obvious place, but also sometimes on the underside of the trailer.

Would suggest you find the one for the refer before going any further...