Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

Westmount , Quebec
Wink whats the best length

My name is Irene and my husband and I have been tent camping, back packing, canoe camping and used a pop up tent. We're starting to look around for a used airstream which would allow us to always pull into a great (the best) camp site ! Our goal is to travel USA and Canada and spend lots of time hiking and sightseeing - if the trailer is warm enough also a ski vacation.
My concern is, if the trailer is too long, we get the ugly sights. We're only looking at FB models and the Flying cloud 25 feet seems to me to be the best solution.

My husband would like a bit longer, but he also agrees that the nicest sites are often the smaller ones. Can you experienced Airstreamers give us some input?

Many thanks
Irene from Montreal
finden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Well it's different for everyone, that's why they make so many models.

But for us, we started with a 20' and loved it. but we finally got tired of the small bed and climbing over each other to get in and out. So we went to a 25' rear twin and love this one even more.

My experience at campgrounds has been that the bigger, pull through sites tend to be nicer.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
A couple of notes:

1. The FC25 Airstream is actually 25ft 11 inches But I have had no problems with mine in Oregon campgrounds.
2. Winter camping in ski resorts is possible, we do it But I tell you what, do your research on towing in adverse conditions and cold weather camping. Neither are straight forward or easily done safely.
3. Good luck on your search, happy travels!
Old 06-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
We found the 25FB Twin was the best for us. But as mentioned they make many models for differing wants and needs.

The smaller the easier it is to tow and travel with and the bigger provides more options for indoor space. You have to decide which suits you best.

Regarding campsites, it seems as though the 25' is about right. Sometimes some camping sites restrict longer trailers.

Wishing you success in your hunt! And also welcome to the forum!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
We've been RVing about 50% of the time over the last two years, either in a Class B SOB or an Airstream.

We've never found 'the best' RV sites related to length.

I have also found that there is no 'best' length, only a length that is 'best for you'.

So unfortunately, you will need to try it out and see what works for you.

To that end, I always suggest 1) Go to an RV show and try to imagine living in as many floorplans as possible and 2) buy a used late model trailer with a few months of factory warranty on it.

In our case, we found the 22' Class B too small, moved to a 27' AS last year, and last week we traded for a 30'. The 30' seems to have the space we're looking for, and suits us very well.

Good luck!

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
How deep is a hole?
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
To some degree it might depend on your preferences for interior layout.

When we bought ours that wound up being the deciding factor.

It would have been advantageous in some ways to have a smaller trailer, but we had to opt for a Classic 30 to get the layout that was our number one choice.

I was concerned about ability to get into State and Provincial parks and while no doubt there are some w could not fit into, but I would say we camp maybe one third of the time in state parks and have not yet had a problem.

I do generally check online to get details of any such parks we want to stay in.

No regrets in the choice and would go the same way again - that extra space is appreciated especially when we are on extended RV trips in the winter months.

Depends on your priorities I suppose.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
24ft twins work for us. It doesn't have a dinette like some larger models. I am glad. I don't find them comfortable.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
When we were looking I saw a post somewhere here that said when you are towing, the shortest possible length, when you are camped, the longest possible length. A 25 FB works out well for the two of us and one dog. Would more room be nice? Sure why not. Would I want to pull more? Nope. Would I want to pay more than I did? Nope. Many tradeoffs and only you can make the decision.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It's really funny to me, this question pops up on a regular basis and without question the responses are 'see my profile, my trailer is the perfect size'.

Lol.

Luckily we all have different views, this keeps Airstream from building one single length trailer.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
No One Size Fits All

When we used the 31 ft AS, we rarely had trouble finding a nice spot. However, that was 30 years ago and camping has grown in popularity.

We now have a 25 ft FB FlyingCloud, which seems a great all around size. The only limitation is the small pantry and "creative" storage required for longer trips. That would be the only reason that I would consider bumping up to a 27 ft trailer.

Good luck in finding your best fit. Try them out for size (pretend cook, sleep, shower).

Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
How deep is a hole?
I was thinking of digging one. What's the right depth?
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Your camping background is similar to ours prior to Airstream. We bought a 20' but it was too small for our six month a year travels, now have a 25 Rear Bed, did some seating alterations for long-term comfort, and some upgrades for reliability, all is well.

The difference between 25FB, 25RB, 26, 27 and 28 is two feet and a few hundred pounds. These are the mid-size Airstreams, plenty of floor plans to choose from, don't exclude any of them until you have explored each.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I like my 25FB

We picked up ours used in 2009. We looked at many over the years prior to that and here were the big issues for us.

1. Wanted to pull it with our Tundra so was concerned about the weight. A 25FB matches up nicely with a half ton. We just got back from a trip where we drove over the highest mountain pass in Washington, Sherman pass and we didn't have a single problem.

2. We didn't want a trailer where one of us had to crawl over the other to get into/out of the bed.

3. For the price we were going to pay, I wanted a full size 2 door refrigerator. At the time we were looking that put us in a 25. Our 25 FB not only has a nice sized fridge it does not need a fan for it to work. The vent is right above the fridge and is not blocked by anything.

4. I wanted an FB simply for the fact that when we back into a site and sit down at the table we would be looking out at the lake, the forest, the fields or whatever and NOT the back of our truck. We have been camping for 40+ years and almost every site we get into the scenery out the back is far better than the view out the front.

All that said, there are some limitations with the 25. We did a lot of camping through the years with our daughters and now our daughters and their families. We also started to take some long trips like 5 weeks or more. The benches in the 25FB are not all that comfortable. We use pillows and lay back on either side of the table and it works fine but, being on the road for long periods of time make you start to think about something larger. The 27FB is a lot better but it has the same issues with lounging around the table. OOOH Boy, take a look at the new 30 Limited! I could give up the view for the leather recliners but hey, I am starting to dream out loud again. Forgive me.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I was thinking of digging one. What's the right depth?
This is something that will be dictated by your style of digging and your long range plans for the hole. What are you going to do when you get into the hole? Do you plan to have others in there with you? Will you stay for long periods of time or will it be just a "short stay"? No one can tell you how big or how deep your hole should be. You will have to decide that. A hole that is right for one might not be the best for you.

And please, don't listen to those you will tell you what tool you need to dig it with. A pick, even though it might sway a bit now and then works really well. A shovel, well there are lots of shovels out there and just because it is expensive doesn't always mean it is the best , or only, tool for the job.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:03 AM   #16
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Abe Lincoln once said about how long a person's legs should be, "Long enough to reach the ground". It will all depend on your situation.....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:14 AM   #17
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
This is something that will be dictated by your style of digging and your long range plans for the hole. What are you going to do when you get into the hole? Do you plan to have others in there with you? Will you stay for long periods of time or will it be just a "short stay"? No one can tell you how big or how deep your hole should be. You will have to decide that. A hole that is right for one might not be the best for you.

And please, don't listen to those you will tell you what tool you need to dig it with. A pick, even though it might sway a bit now and then works really well. A shovel, well there are lots of shovels out there and just because it is expensive doesn't always mean it is the best , or only, tool for the job.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
See my profile, that's the perfect length. It varies as to which trailer I own at the time.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
See my profile, that's the perfect length. It varies as to which trailer I own at the time.
Trailers, trucks, hitches, and everything that goes with it, we like what we have at the time. We loved our 20 until we got our 25.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The dinette area on both the 25FB and 27FB are identical every way. The 27 adds space in a closet street side and counter top and pantry curb side plus the queen bed is inline with the frame versus cross frame on the 25. Going the twin bed route in the 27 would allow for a longer custom mattress if one of the campers is tall.

We were unhappy with our 2013 25FB International for both the dinette and cross frame bed and went directly to a 2014 31' Classic. We also now have a 2015 23D International Serenity for quick runs to the older parks where a smaller unit works better. The 23D bed is a challenge to make and climb in and out of, but has more storage somehow than the 25FB did.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote