Old 06-23-2016, 11:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I was thinking of digging one. What's the right depth?
This is something that will be dictated by your style of digging and your long range plans for the hole. What are you going to do when you get into the hole? Do you plan to have others in there with you? Will you stay for long periods of time or will it be just a "short stay"? No one can tell you how big or how deep your hole should be. You will have to decide that. A hole that is right for one might not be the best for you.

And please, don't listen to those you will tell you what tool you need to dig it with. A pick, even though it might sway a bit now and then works really well. A shovel, well there are lots of shovels out there and just because it is expensive doesn't always mean it is the best , or only, tool for the job.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:03 AM   #16
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Abe Lincoln once said about how long a person's legs should be, "Long enough to reach the ground". It will all depend on your situation.....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum

2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
This is something that will be dictated by your style of digging and your long range plans for the hole. What are you going to do when you get into the hole? Do you plan to have others in there with you? Will you stay for long periods of time or will it be just a "short stay"? No one can tell you how big or how deep your hole should be. You will have to decide that. A hole that is right for one might not be the best for you.

And please, don't listen to those you will tell you what tool you need to dig it with. A pick, even though it might sway a bit now and then works really well. A shovel, well there are lots of shovels out there and just because it is expensive doesn't always mean it is the best , or only, tool for the job.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
See my profile, that's the perfect length. It varies as to which trailer I own at the time.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
See my profile, that's the perfect length. It varies as to which trailer I own at the time.
Trailers, trucks, hitches, and everything that goes with it, we like what we have at the time. We loved our 20 until we got our 25.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The dinette area on both the 25FB and 27FB are identical every way. The 27 adds space in a closet street side and counter top and pantry curb side plus the queen bed is inline with the frame versus cross frame on the 25. Going the twin bed route in the 27 would allow for a longer custom mattress if one of the campers is tall.

We were unhappy with our 2013 25FB International for both the dinette and cross frame bed and went directly to a 2014 31' Classic. We also now have a 2015 23D International Serenity for quick runs to the older parks where a smaller unit works better. The 23D bed is a challenge to make and climb in and out of, but has more storage somehow than the 25FB did.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
whats the best length

Echoing what others say about the dinette in the 25FB / 27FB.

After living in it for three months, I'd say it was the worst part of the trailer. It is so uncomfortable.

Which is odd; sitting in one at the show or at the dealer, you think, "yeah, this will work great".

But no. It really only allows one person to scootch into the seat, the side couch is useless for two, and watching tv from the other side of the dinette requires a neck-ache inducing twist.

We just flipped our 2016 27' FB FC for a 2016 30' Rear Queen FC, and could not be happier. The separate dinette in the 30' works well for eating, and the L shaped sofa allows two to watch tv / lounge easily.

At least that was our experience; ymmv of course.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #22
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Funny you should ask: I am getting ready to place my 1998 31' Limited on the market.

It is perfect for you.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #23
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
OK - you get to decide. It is really a composite of what your needs are.

The 23FB is worth considering. It has a good size toilet area. Check it out. The narrow body is certainly easier to get into some sites and is less stressful when meeting a wide truck on a narrow bridge.

The orientation of the bed in the 27 that allows access from both sides is a significant draw. But try making and getting in and out of bed to see if it works for you. The push to twins is a testimonial to the issue of fitting sleeping and access space into the width of an AS.

Galley configuration is another significant consideration for some. If you only grill and use paper plates, maybe not so much. If you tend to use the AS as your home away from home it certainly is a key driver. Note there are few AS with a double sink. The bigger floor plans include more capable appliances. Consider carefully what you need/want/can LIVE in.

Storage is always an issue with small space configurations. The front bed configurations offer under bed storage, but that location shifts weight to the tongue if anything but the lightest gear is stored there. So spend time planning how you will store the equipment and supplies that are required for your activities. A minimalist life style works in any of the ASs. From there it takes a bit of work.

Trim level is also worth exploring. It drives some cost, but cabinet and interior style are really the issue. We like the flipper doors of the Flying Cloud. We like a lighter tone to make the interior feel bright. We like the aluminum surfaces. However, others do not.

The choice of a 25 has a significant advantage. It is the most popular and should be easy to sell/flip if you later want to upgrade. We believe it makes more sense to decide what you need and go for it.

Additionally it's worth considering that the most popular size may be shifting up a bit.

Given a commitment to a 3/4 diesel and a desire to live on the road for several months each year, it's worth considering the 30s. There is no substitute for space. Most folks seem to have no problem negotiating the roads of retirement with the larger trailers.

We have a 23, because it is all we need. Our trips are short, 3-6 weeks. We like the cleanliness of our own toilet and shower so the combined configuration provides a more effective configuration. The galley is enough. We upgraded to a standard Queen mattress. The storage is working better as we learn how to use it. This is not a solution for all.

You get to decide. Enjoy the investigation. Don't make an impulse buy. Understand what works and does not for you. Tires, batteries, solar, converter, sealed shell, windows, shades, mattress......your understanding of systems, ability to DIY, and life style preference.

There is also the Fred, Ethyl. and Lucy concept. Travel Safe. Pat
Old 06-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum Irene!

Great comments so far. I would check your area for used Airstreams and look at as many as possible. Being inside each length brings the reality of it home, and will make your choice much easier. Two of you should look at the same time and try moving around inside, doing your normal routines in the galley, head, and so forth.

If you can get to an Airstream dealer, comparing sizes is easier there of course. It might actually be worth a road trip or airline flight to do this IMO, if you are serious and ready to move on the idea ASAP.

Age and physical agility factor in too . . .

And then there is the issue of the right tow vehicle for the trailer . . . and whether you have one now, or have to buy a new (to you) TV . . .

Good luck!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finden View Post
. . .
Can you experienced Airstreamers give us some input?

Many thanks
Irene from Montreal
Old 06-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Our first Airstream was a Safari 25. I was a great size, with enough space for two people, but small enough to maneuver into most state park and C.O.E. sites and some Forest Service sites. It's a good compromise. We now have a FC 30', but only because we needed more comfortable seating arrangements, dictated by my bad back. It's a great trailer and the cats enjoy the extra room, but sometimes I miss the 25. dcottum, in one of the posts above, mentioned a 25 with seating modifications. Maybe that's the way I should have gone. I believe the 25' is Airstream's most popular trailer for a reason.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Jonesboro , Arkansas
We currently own a 2007 25' Safari and 2014 30' FC bunk and I think both are great. If I were buying today, I would buy the 25' or 27' twin bed. My guess is you will love whatever you go with!
Good luck!
Greg
Old 06-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
And then there is the whole question of front or rear living room. <grin>

Seriously, every RV is a collection of compromises. A larger coach has more interior room and may be somewhat easier to back up, but it weighs more and requires a somewhat longer campsite.

Start looking at all the different floor plans you can find. Consider how you will do the various tasks in it (use the toilet, shower, wash dishes, make the bed, watch tv, etc.) and see how it fits you. If you go to the same campsite regularly that will be a factor, but I suspect that few of us actually do that. We may go to the same park, but have different campsites on each visit.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Some excellent advice in this thread.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote