Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
visalia , California
What do you do different in an airstream?

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, discovered it last week and have been trying to educate myself on the airstream. First let me say I want one!! I currently have a 2001' Jayco with fiberglass sides. We camp 6-8 times a year for about a week each time. I am familiar with my trailer, but we have outgrown it and need something bigger. I have many questions, but let me ask you this first, what do you do different in an airstream compared to a newer fiberglass type trailer? For example it looks like getting on the roof is a little different ( I don't do it much, but I do it sometimes). Also I wash my current trailer with the soap you don't have to dry off and it looks good afterward. Do you have to do something special to the airstream when you wash it for similar results?

We have gone to many RV dealerships and looked at many models, only to sorta be wowed by the nicest 5th wheel on the lot. However we finally went to an airstream dealership and absolutely loved every model we looked at from 16' to 30' (I think 25' will be good for us?). The most logical non airstream trailer for us would be a toyhauler type trailer, boring, ugly, and my last resort. We have a quad and a dirtbike that I can haul in the back of my truck, hell that's what trucks are for. The only feature I like about a toyhauler is that it holds a lot of fresh, grey and black water. We almost always dry camp.

Sorry for the long post but what are some of the disadvantages to the airstream compared to a traditional trailer? Be honest this is a huge investment for me.

Thanks
urbanmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi and welcome to the forums.

To answer some of your questions.

We boondock/drycamp nearly all the time. Don't care for the view or the crowd at a campground. We just love being out in the desert.

Never had to go on the roof. No rubber up there to check or replace. When I want a higher point of vantage I hope into the bed or onto side of the bed.

Simple green washes the trailer just fine but I have friends who use everything from dishsoap (light mix) to Walberniz an Airstream product for trailer washing.

The disadvantage to an Airstream is the curved roof limits the floor plan to a center hallway and to some it feels cramped.

The advantage to an Airstream is it's curved roof and ends. That really cuts wind resisetence and the affects of side wind. It also independant suspension and a low center of gravity. They tow like you can't believe and they last for decades.

Good luck

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
BAD ---Simple Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Hi and welcome to the forums.

---
Simple green washes the trailer just fine but I have friends who use everything from dishsoap (light mix) to Walberniz an Airstream product for trailer washing.
THROW Away the Simple Green! It etches Aluminum! Not a problem while your clearcoat is intact, but trust me, on untreated aluminum, it destroys anything that resembles shine!

OK - sorry to hijack the thread.

Now, advantages. If you park one place for the summer any square old box will do. If you want to take EVERYTHING with you, get a big SOB (square old box). Airstreams are for those who TRAVEL. Airstreams are for minimalists. I fulltime, and It's an ongoing struggle - though I am improving - to get rid of STUFF. Buy a pair of shoes, throw one away. Edit every trip. WHY has my oven turned into another storage cabinet?

I love the way it tows. I LOVE the way it tows!

HINT: go to "Classifieds" right here. Buy gently used - lots of folks buy bigger later, a few have to retire due to illness - a 3 year old Airstream.... almost all the benefits of new, and a substantial savings.

Paula
Old 06-24-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post

To answer some of your questions.

Never had to go on the roof. No rubber up there to check or replace. When I want a higher point of vantage I hope into the bed or onto side of the bed.

Good luck
Your sewer vent pipe covers have "rubber gaskets".

They only last about 5 years, and must be replaced.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
For going on the roof, wrap a towel around the ladder where it will touch the trailer, and walk on or near the rivet lines.
The rubber roof on other brands will typically last about 5 years before starting to disintegrate.
Airstreams tow easier, with less wind resistance, than a typical trailer, so you will get (slightly) better mileage towing one.
The square box type trailer has more storage, because you can put more in a box, then you can in a tube.
With proper care and feeding, an Airstream will last many years (decades), and your children may wind up camping in it when they are adults.
Most of the larger Airstreams have increased water capacity versus older model Airstreams, most, except for the smallest ones, hold at least 50 gallons of fresh, and45 gallons of waste water.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Paula
That is a biggy for us Paula too. Lets get that point across...

I has be said many times before that a 30' Airstream will tow as good or better than a 25' box type trailer and Airstreams can be towed by more fuel efficent vehicles.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
What do we do different in our Airstream? We give tours... frequently. People are always asking (or hinting) for a peek inside. What fun!
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Welcome, be careful…going down the AS road is extremely addictive!
Now to answer your question; first of all the Wife and I like to turn the lights down low, put on some nice music, then we...oops…just remembered this is a family forum.
Anyway-yes it is different in an AirStream!

Our Excella holds 50 gals fresh and 35/35 so boondocking for some time is no hassle. Interior storage with an AS is great, exterior storage not so great (like you said that’s what trucks are for!).
As noted, they tow great, and it will be the last camper you ever buy.
AS’s from the mid 80’s until now can be a good bargain and will save $ versus new and have all the same amenities as the newest models (A/C, cable hookup, etc) if that is important to you.

You did not say how many “we” is?
We are a family of 3 plus dog and find the 25’ is perfect. Can fit in just about any campsite (including NFS Lands, State Parks, etc) has enough room inside, and is the smallest of the AS’s with the big tanks.

Go for it!

Bill