Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
what do y'all think? (single mom AGAIN)

Was cruising the classifieds and saw a 2006 23 foot Safari Limited Edition on Ebay. The reserve is 24,200. Don't know how to post link to it. Can't buy yet so don't mind putting it out there.
Seems perfect for me and my 10 year old daughter - perfect condition and right size. I think we need to find something like this when we are ready to buy. Problem is it is over $20,000. So maybe something like this but an older model??

Any thoughts??
joy
cjoymccalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Figure out what your budget is and let that guide you. Since there are the two of you a smaller size will do the trick. Less vehicle needed to tow etc.

If a total stranger could give you one solid piece of advice... Right now before you think about buying anything. Go look at all of them. Lay on the bed, do you fit and are you comfy. Is your daughter bed good for her to grow into?

Do you fit "On the throne?" Does the floor plan work for you. Does the kitchen have the room and counter space you want? Floorplan is actually more important than trailer size.

Airstreams come in many styles and floor planes. Go out and see as many as you can and before too long you will know which floor plan and size will work for you and you can then narrow your search for your perfect Airstream.

Good luck and have fun in your search.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoymccalla View Post
Was cruising the classifieds and saw a 2006 23 foot Safari Limited Edition on Ebay. The reserve is 24,200. Don't know how to post link to it. Can't buy yet so don't mind putting it out there.
Seems perfect for me and my 10 year old daughter - perfect condition and right size. I think we need to find something like this when we are ready to buy. Problem is it is over $20,000. So maybe something like this but an older model??

Any thoughts??
joy
What I think is that it would be to your advantage to post all your questions to the same thread instead of starting a new thread for each question. That way people can read the background information and better help you.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
Are you mechanically inclined? If so, then go ahead and look for an older and cheaper model. If not, you would be better off buying a newer model that is within your budget.

When I bought my trailer I was looking for an older, smaller Airstream. The only ones I could find were all in need of some sort of renovation. I am the first to admit that I have no mechanical ability so ended up buying a new camper.

Even a new camper will require some maintenance to keep it operational. Do you have the tools and ability to do this? Even if you have the knowledge make sure you have access to the the proper tools.

I did not have the expendable cash when I purchased mine and ended up financing it. Have you considered financing as an option? This may allow you to get a newer, larger trailer.

Your post indicates that money is a factor. Make sure that your tow vehicle can handle the trailer you are looking at or you may have to purchase a new tow vehicle also.

I am a single mother (widowed) who has been traveling alone with my daughter in our Airstream since 2003. Originally, it was just the two of us traveling. Now that my daughter is older, she often invites a friend along on our shorter trips. Your daughter is getting to that age where she will want to bring along a friend. Consider this when buying a trailer. Make sure there will be room for all. We can only comfortably accommodate three in our 22 ft. trailer. When a friend comes with us the kids sleep on the bed and I sleep on the convertible dinette.

Good luck with your search.
nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Awesome advice Goin Camping ! "Go look at all of them."

We bought our first trailer 5 years ago and Im still shopping. The more trailers I look at the more I see and learn.

I have the good fortune of getting to work on other peoples trailers. I often spend 2 or 3 days inside a trailer fixing and improving or altering and changing things for the owner.

As well a friend of mine and I have been going to look at interesting trailers when the opportunity arises.

I dont regret buying the trailer I have but I understand what Im looking for much better now.Go to a local dealer if you can and walk through every trailer. What do you like or dont like? Go to the RV show and see whats there.

I am amazed at how many floor plans there are.

Do some research and you will love your trailer. When my wife and I bought we were hoping to use the trailer one weekend a month for six months each year. This last year we spent 71 nights in it in six months. We love it and cant wait for spring.

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Gonna slow down and do more research. Got a little carried away....
Thanks for being patient with me, everybody.

joy
Old 11-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #7

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Shopping and dreaming is a lot of the fun! When I finally bought our Bambi I still perused the classifieds. take your time and ask as many questions you have. Sometimes it helps you narrow down what you want/need. It's getting colder and sometimes the prices drop. Go look and have fun.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
joy, I bought a 1970 from the original owner, it was (still is) a cream puff, I got it for under $3000. Put about $2000 into it, it is perfect and reliable.

look and ask questions.......
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Sold my little Casita this morning which was my first step toward getting an Airsteam.
Very new to this and not familiar with Airstream floorplans or anything else. Appreciate any guidance. I'm in no hurry and still need to save some before I can buy. Will continue to read forums and learn. Not sure about exact budget yet but maybe around 15,000. Keeping my Xterra for now and it has max towing capacity of 5000 lbs.
Thanks,
joy
Old 11-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Here's a link to a page that will link you to the floor plans for decades of Airstream trailers. Airstream, Inc :: Travel Trailer Specifications

Pick a few that you feel meet your basic needs and then begin to look at some of them in person. You'll soon find out if the ones you like are a fit for your plans. Best of luck in your search.