Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Marshall , North Carolina
Western North Carolina new member

Greetings all...from Terry and Hank....what started out as a lark became a reality with our "new" 68 Overlander. Purchased about 3 months ago it needed TLC to say the least....after many hours of work, she is ready for spring and some weekenders at least. All in all quite a learning experience, but All systems are go and the last phase of polishing should be done by time to hit the road. It is amazing what some people could do to actually mess up one of these vehicles. Guess the most challenging part was locating a small leak behind the toilet and under the tub......no access from the back to reach it so out came the tub....someone had drilled a new hole from the bottom to add a water line hookup....when they did, they drilled all the way into the bottom of the black ABS drain pipe. I imagine there will be other challenges down the road, but with all new plumbing and electric including a 60 amp Progressive Dynamics 9260 all seems good. The Univolt still works, but with the Intellivolt you can actually turn on all the lights and fans at the same time with no apparent drop in current and no noise... Look forward to seeing you on the road.
Hank A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome Hank! Sounds like you have done a LOT of work over the course of three months. Isn't it amazing what previous owners can do to mess up a perfectly good Airstream? I'm sure just about every vintage owner here has a rant or two on that topic! Hope your first camping trip is a great one - be sure to post some pics (especially of the polished trailer - in most parts of the country, we can't even think about that yet due to the weather, so you can inspire us until then...)
Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Terry and Hank,
Welcome, sounds like you have a great work-in-progress that you can now use. As you probably know already, there is MUCH info here on the forums to help you on the restoration journey.
Did you just recently find the forums, or have you been lurking for a while?
Nice to have you here,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Gold Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Fuquay , North Carolina
welcome! maybe we'll see you when we are over in the mountians this summer... i'm just south of raleigh and there are others from NC on this forum... post some pics when you get time...

(why do i have to press 1 for english??)
tgregory13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Welcome Terry and Hank. Sounds like y'all are going to fit it nicely around here. Susan and I hang out in Brevard often. Maybe we can drop by and see your handy-work sometime.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Been on for a while

Have been lurking and learning from the forum....much like I did on my vintage auto. I agree it is a qreat source of info, but some topics you just have to do on your own. I have found that searching old RV supply stores is a wealth of treasures sometimes. I actually found all new cabinet latches, both brown and white and new ceiling light covers, NOS. Most expensive of any one was less than $4 each. Only other major repair is to locate a couple of windows to replace the plexiglass..... will study up on posting pics and post soon.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
In the essence of time here is a link to some of the pics of the Overlander polish job, still a work in progress...

Polish Pics
Old 01-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Nice shine! I just finished "touching up" the polish on my GTlast fall. A lot of work, but very rewarding.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank A
"new" 68 Overlander. Purchased about 3 months ago it needed TLC to say the least, but with all new plumbing and electric including a 60 amp Progressive Dynamics 9260 all seems good.

Hank,

Welcome and it is obvious that you have been very busy to say the least. Very good to have a fellow Carolina owner so close by.

TinB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Welcome Terry and Hank! We are up your way (Hendersonville) fairly often to see my folks - great area! There is decent activity in the southeast - you may want to check out the spring rally in Hiawassee, GA in April.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:03 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Cullowhee , North Carolina
I Like Callin' North Carolina Home!

Hank & Terri,

Welcome from another WNC newbe to the AS forum! Though we've had our '70 23' Safari for a few years, we've just recently started to try out camping instead of having it as a guest house.

Keep after those leaks

Cheers,

"Life is not about finding yourself.
Life is about creating yourself."G B Shaw
Dark Cove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
LMC

1969 21' Globetrotter
Whittier , North Carolina
Hey Newbe

Hey Dark Cove
Look who it is the Newbe from sylva with the 69GTAS. So you are moving it around finally huh? Those babies need to be on the road and in the woods.
lauren
LMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Blowing Rock , North Carolina
Welcome Terry and Hank,
As relatively new members ourselves,I think you will find the forums a wealth of information and many nice folks. We are just over a few hills from you in Blowing Rock. If you are ever in the area,hope you will stop by our campground.
Perry
ClayandPerry is offline   Reply With Quote