Old 03-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Looks like a center bath, rear bed. Neat. As others have said this forum and attending rallies are probably the best source of information and ideas you could possibly get on refurbishing Airstreams.Should be a lot of fun fixing it up and even more fun enjoying it.

WBCCI # 772
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Originally Posted by Vinoblanco's going to require quite a bit of work to make it liveable to our standards....

Nice looking rig -

I wrote an epistle for your inspection process during the interior restoration as an edit to the second entry in this thread, but it was soooo long it resulted in me losing it and the posting the following thread:

Frustration Due To Time Out Just Makes Me Want To.....

Therefore, your initial post resulted in a really good thing happening here within the forums!

Now, about your inspection,

Best advice I can give is to do a THOROUGH floor inspection....

At the minimum, remove the front gaucho and the beds. Get an ice pick and start poking, looking for soft or rotted wood (a bad thing). Possible rotted areas are around the sink, the fridge, of course the bath, the entrance door, and under the windows. Old leaks could have come from just about anywhere.

I see you have a mid bath - just as is in my '78 Sovereign, which is currently going back together after a fairly through inspection and repair - also, I am not a purist as far as the rebuild goes - I will install a wood tile floor, and will probably take out the living room shelves and counters - the dining table is already out, and I do not plan to replace it.

Since I have already redone the '87 Motor Home I pretty much know what I need as far as interior "stuff", and a dining table is not high on the priorty list.

Congrats to you for lurking and soaking up knowledge in order to get a handle on what you are in for.

Working on the Airstreams is not at all difficult - you just need time and a convenient place to do it.

If you have any specific questions let me know - I have an electronic copy of a '78 excella service manual, if you need any pages I could e-mail them to you - just about the only difference between the Excella and Sovereign is the trim level. The same is applicable to the minor changes amongst the year builds - they are all extremely similar. The trailer design and construction has really not changed much, so common problems and techniques bridge multiple moldels and cover quite a few years of manufacture.

Make good use of the "search" button at the top of the page (pull down) - it's not a 'smart' search, so you may have to ask the same question several different ways to obtain all of the hits (ex. search "toilet", "commode" "crapper", "bowl", "flush", "potty", etc. for a specific bathroom (head) related item).

Good luck - estimate at least twice as many bucks for a rebuild as you would first think, and it will take at least 3 times as long as you think when you first look at it.

Looks as if you are starting with a great trailer.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote