Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Well, we've got another one - yip skips

Our friends have been looking for a 13 panel Airstream almost from the moment we acquired ours 3 plus years ago. They have been towing a 17' Boler (not the small version but one about the size of a Caravel) with their '35 Ford 4 door hotrod and 54 Ford wagon. They wanted at least a 21' and would go as large as 24, but 21/22 was preferred. We saw a few come and go that they missed, and recently a few that were missed for all the right reasons - too much work required, or priced out of a hobbyists budget.

Recently I discovered a trailer on Craig's list and the advt didn't quite make sense as to size, year, etc. I passed it on to him and he followed through over a week time frame or so. Turns out it was mistakenly advertised and that it is virtually the twin to my trailer - they are only 30 numbers apart actually which is very neat. And it was two hours away so easy to go look at before making a commitment. A tad pricey but not silly, and in need of some work but the stuff his health will let him do. And he does still have the Boler to use until the Airstream is done.

And today we took the 2 hour drive and I must tell you that riding shotgun with a couple who are excited, anxious, and even nervous that it is not going to be what the seller said it was is an interesting proposition. We got there and as we pulled up front I swear it was my trailer sitting on the driveway. Anyways, after well over an hour of them going through it they decided that an adoption was in order (I feel I've earned my uncle status on this one).

They will drag it home in a week and at that time he says he will officially join the forum and will post pictures of his find. Needless to say I couldn't wait that week to pass on the good news.

Life is very good to those with an Airstream.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
WoooHoo! Gotta love those 13 panels!

Happy Uncle-hood Barry ~ are they going to name it after you?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
I am not sure, I hadn't thought to suggest that, until now that is.....

Thanks for the suggestion. I suspect I know what their answer will be, but hopefully this new into it they will at least be polite.

Barry
Old 05-31-2007, 01:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Good the add to the fold!

Barry -

Congrats to YOU and the happy couple....!!!!!

What a terrific story... glad that your passion inspired them and that they were able to find exactly what they were looking for, wanted, and were able to 'vision', afford and add to their family....

Good from EVERY angle.

Really good stuff....

Open the church and look at the people... A/S'ers EVERY ONE!!!! Well, you KNOW what I mean, right? Good to know that there are always more to add to the flock... Sorry, analogy gone too far... perhaps.... but then passion is NEVER a bad thing.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
Always glad to add to the group of Flying Cloud owners, and a 51 at that.
Super news.

Greg
Old 05-31-2007, 06:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Thirteen panel FC? Very near and dear to my heart! Good job, Uncle Barry!

Can't wait to see photos!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Barry, the free subscription you gave your friends to AIRForums comes with the condition that they post lots of photos. Right?!

Wish I could stumble across one of those...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Yep, photo's are coming next week, along with whatever sign in name they decide on. They won't go back to pick up the trailer until Monday or Tuesday and in the meanwhile they have to move cars and trailers around to make room. Within a year this trailer will be one of the cleaner trailers out there as with everything they've acquired or built. I am amazed at how original this trailer is, and in decent condition, but it does really need to be cleaned up badly. It is nice to know also that there are some sellers out in the world who are reaonsably accurate when selling something - this fellow was pretty close to our own understanding when he described the trailer over the phone.

I did mention late last evening that my name should be considered when they determine what to call it and was politely told "not a chance", although answering the phone with uncle Barry speaking when I saw it was them calling got a good chuckle out of them.

It seems a strange coincidence that both our trailers, both 51's, have been found within two hours of each other and both to be towed by green fifties stationwagons. We travel and camp together a lot so it should be fun next year when theirs hit's the road and I've got the whole rest of the summer to rub it in.

Barry
Old 05-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Great news, Barry! Where was this one located? Can't wait to see pictures!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
You BC guys are finding all the good trailers!
I might just have to take a trip up that way sometime!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
This latest find was in WA state. I bought mine in Whalley (Surrey, BC) so about two hours driving time apart. There must have been a good Airstream sales person in the Seattle area in 1951/52. Once they get it home he will sign in and post pics. It needs a major clean up since it's been sitting inside for a decade and a half, but other than that, if one could live without a bathroom, they could go camping in it. But they have their Boler to get them by while they do this one the way the need it. With perfectionists they'd struggle to take it out to play the way it is.

Yeah, there's been a few show up in this area but we see all the advt's for the trailers on the east coast and southern areas and wish we were able to see those as well.

Barry