Old 05-13-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2000 30' Excella
Johns Island , South Carolina
Well, Mrs. kudzu has done it now!

While hitting every dealer within a days drive of home, looking at new AS's, we came across a '00 Excella 30 that seems to be in good shape. I was thinking a little smaller, but Mrs. kudzu said, "This is it." So, we are getting our ducks in a row to pick it up a week from Tuesday and have the rest of the week to play with it and check it out thoroughly before bringing it home.

I am a little apprehensive (i.e. scared spitless) about towing something that large. My trailering experience is limited to small boats, utility trailers and horse trailers. Will learn what I can between now and then and take it slowly and carefully. Information, advice, pointers are welcome.

We are excited!

Ernie and Joyce

kudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
I think you should be pleased with your purchase. We have a 31ft and just love it. It's 2 adults and one child and it has plenty of room. I myself have pulled horse trailers you will find the Airstream pulls great just be sure you have a brake box, sway bars and everthing and you will have no problems.
We also have found a pair of walkie-talkies come in real handy with the backing part. Good luck with your purchase let us all know how the trip home was.

75 Sovereign (Peppy)
03 Chevy HD (lil Peppy)
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia

I have limited towing experience, one year with a 19ft Airstream - and just this last month with my new 25ft Airstream. I hardly notice the difference except when going uphill.

Take it slow, avoid heavy traffic and remember you'll have to make wide turns. You'll adapt a lot faster than you'll think. Find a vacant parking lot and practice backing... I'm STILL trying to master that, which is a bit harder without a partner and a walkie talkie.

I find an audience will make me foul up, too! Lots of folks will show you how, but you've got to watch out for shouts of "left" and "right".... some people are telling you which way to cut the wheels... others mean that's the direction they want you to point the rear end of the trailer.

Make sure your wife learns to tow and back too. It's just pitiful to see how many women are totally incapable of getting a trailer hitched or unhitched. I went to the Cherry Blossom Rally and met a whole lot of wonderful people, but I confess I probably suggested to several women that letting their husband's always do the towing could be disasterous. What happens if hubby falls and breaks an arm? What happens if he gets a debilitating migraine? Any woman who can assemble and disassemble a food processor or use a sewing machine can learn to hitch a trailer and tow it.

Have great fun and enjoy it!

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:55 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Only 30', huh?

Just think of it as a slightly larger horse trailer. It is a little taller, so watch for low hanging branches and service station canopies. Burger King drive-thru's are out, too.
As far as backing it up, you will find it is easier to back up due to its longer wheelbase, it will tend to turn slower. To paraphrase my high school shop teacher, check twice, back once.
But the most important thing to remember, is USE IT.
Good luck with it, and as always, post plenty of pictures. We all love pictures...
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn

Congrats on finding "the one" - remember the first rule of a relationship...."if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".

I know it will be "right" for you - considering the time you have been looking for one.

There have been sooo many people who "traded bigger" after their initial purchase -
I think you found the right size at just the right point on the depreciation/condition curve.

Good info given before in this thread - weight distribution bars, good brake controller, (Jordan's and Prodigy's are popular here within the Forum).

Make sure that you videotape (if possible) the walkthrough - especially the water, sewerage, electrical, and LPG issues. Totally install and remove the hitch a couple of times in the dealer parking lot - it gets easier each time you do it. Information on how to "fine tune" the distribution bars using a commercial scale has been rehashed recently.

One thing that had not been mentioned - a good set of removeable (or extendable) mirrors. McKesh makes a good set - there are others.

The most valuable information source you will find is absolutely free - the "search" option on the top pulldown of each Forum page will get you there - the accumulated knowledge (and opinions) archieved here in the Forums.

BTW - I guess since "she" picked the trailer (it IS Mothers Day) "you" may have a shot at a new Tow Vehicle for Fathers Day.

A 3/4 ton 4 door Diesel P'up would be a PERFECT match for the trailer.

Go Slow! With less speed you are safer, you can enjoy the scenery much more, and you save gas.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
trailing the long long trailer

What a coincidence! A friend and I went last weekend on the 'hunt' for a new trailer since we had sold our 29' '93 to friends just the week before. Well we looked and looked and found a wonderful 2000 31' in FL. that was in PERFECT condition. Had been stored inside most of its life and the interior was extremely well cared for.
Only thing is it was bigger and wider than the earlier trailer and I had NO one to help me get it home. I worried all night while enjoying the new rig. My husband could not come with and my friend said NO WAY. So on Sunday morning we left after spending the night in it in a campground (great seller made the arrangement so we could thoroughly check the trailer over) even set it up with the canapies open and everything operating. Fridge, air were on, all hookups connected, everything going. What a wonderful seller. Anyway back to the trailing. We left this past Sunday morning around 10am. traveled 265 miles with a few stops, (even took it through a truck wash so it would be spotless when my husband first saw it),got gas, and ended up home is SC a little after 5pm. Had NO trouble at all. Took it easy, 55/60. Stayed in the right lane. She was easy to trail, got used to the width pretty quick, did not notice the difference in length...great trailer!! Don't sweat it, it is easy. If I can do it so can you.
StreamNTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
The 2000 30' Excella is a great trailer - and from watching all of the posts for some time now - it seems to be one of the better vintage years for the breed - i.e., fewer problems reported! With a properly equipped vehicle it tows like a dream.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:24 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
2000 30' Excella
Johns Island , South Carolina

Originally Posted by rebel beck
We also have found a pair of walkie-talkies come in real handy with the backing part.
Good idea! Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Ernie -

kudzu is offline   Reply With Quote