Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #1
Safarian

2005 30' Safari
Falls Church , Virginia
We Own It -- Now We Have to Use It!

Hello to all! We are happy owners of a new (2005) Safari 30' with bunks. It was hard to track down, since the model has been discontinued. We found ours in Michigan and that's where it will remain until the end of March. Then we will get it down to Virginia and start taking it out on weekends. We will be leaving in the summer for a year-long trip around the country.

We picked our Airstream because of the iconic exterior, the well-designed interiors and the great community of support provided by fellow 'streamers!
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
Certifiable

. , .
Congratulations bobby!

Check out the Safari 30' bunkhouse thread.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Congratulations on your new rig. Wow, a year long trek to break it in. Good for you guys. We'll be expecting regular updates on your travels, and March is not that far off.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Oh my goodness! Is it a used model and it did you happen to locate at Woodland Travel Center in Grand Rapids, Michigan? If so, that could be our Betty Lou I. We traded it for a 2007 Classic 34' SO. It would be great to know that she has gone to someone that will appreciate and use her for such a great journey. I will be glad to fill you in on any particulars, if it is in fact Betty Lou I. Our new Airstream, of course, is Betty Lou II.

Vickie(Mrs. Towdaddy)
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
Safarian

2005 30' Safari
Falls Church , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towdaddy
...that could be our Betty Lou I. We traded it for a 2007 Classic 34' SO. It would be great to know that she has gone to someone that will appreciate and use her for such a great journey. I will be glad to fill you in on any particulars, if it is in fact Betty Lou I...
Vickie,
Unfortunately, ours is a "new" 2005 that sat on the dealer lot for a couple years. It would have been an honor to have purchased Betty Lou I! I would still love to hear your advice/perspective on this model though. We'll be updating our web log as our adventure unfolds (that's the link below). I'm sure BL I went to another deserving owner.

Bobby
Old 01-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Hi Bobby,

Thank you for your reply and the kind words. You will love this floor plan. We did, but there were extenuating circumstances which caused us to make a change. We have two adult children with special needs. Our son was no longer comfortable on the upper bunk even for short periods. Our daughter was born with Spina Bifida and requires a wheelchair. Her wheelchair would not fit inside this model so we carried her in and out as well as within the trailer. She is very independent in our home and this past summer she was not enjoying our time spent in the Airstream as much. We decided to make the jump to the 34' which has made a huge difference. The drawback is now we have to make out her bed everytime. Our son does not get to spend as much time at the campground due to his job.

One major negative in this model is the windows. They are just now big enough to provide adequate airflow especially on those hot days. We probably would have changed out all the windows to the classic style if we had kept it.

The first couple of nights we spent in our 30' bunkhouse was at the dealership. First thing the next morning I ask my salesman to add old-fashioned shades on the windows. During the night I wanted to turn on the fantastic vent which I had to open a window. This meant I needed to open the curtain which exposed the entire window. This was a problem due to the lighting at the dealership. These shades(room-darkening) were so benefical on so many occasions especially those warm days that you need to use the fantastic vent but do not want to allow the hot sun in. My salesman personally installed these and attached very cute shade-pulls with a sun motif. Something to consider.

I'll give it some more thought and post further on the 30' bunkhouse club thread.

Good luck to you and your family. I have already bookmarked your blog and look forward to following all of you on this exciting journey!

Vickie
Air #5970
Old 01-17-2007, 07:12 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Towdaddy:

We bought Betty Lou! We have had her home for a couple of months. She looks great out back. I can’t wait to take her out in the spring. Big trip plan? You bet! We’re going to Yellowstone and back this June / July.

Those custom shades are giving the dealer fits. The spring in the front shade popped loose and they are having trouble finding a replacement. In the mean time, I dissembled / reassembled it and it works fine now.

We first saw Betty Lou when Woodland posted it on EBay. I couldn’t believe my luck when I realized it was right here in town. I’ve noticed that most Airstreams, and SOBs don’t actually sell on EBay, but it is a good way for dealers to advertise their inventory.

After a few visits to Woodland Travel, we decided to take her home. The floor plan is perfect for a family (2 Adults, 1 Teen, 2 Pre-Teens and 1 small dog) to travel with. I’m surprised that there aren’t any bunks in the current models. Placing the bath in the back really make the center living area of the unit feel open.

I’m well aware of all of the upgrades you made and they are appreciated. The pull-out platform on the lower bunk is nicely engineered.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new Airstream. I have never seen a bunk bed floor plan so if we meet on the road I will trade you a tour of a classic MH for a tour of a bunk bed floor Safari.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Amsterdamer,

Thank you so much for the post informing me that Betty Lou I has found a home. It sounds as if she has gone to a nice home and is still close by. We were very attached to her and expected until this past May that she would be our only Airstream. I am very glad that she will continue on with my fun journeys.

I am sure Woodland explained that she has been stored inside (Gypsum mine) the two winters that we had her. I inquired about this floor plan a month before the delivery to Woodland. The day after she arrived at Woodland there was a SOLD sign in her window.

I will PM you with more background information.

Take good care of her and make many lasting memories,

Vickie (Mrs. Towdaddy)
Air #5970
Old 01-17-2007, 08:37 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Vickie:

Woodland didn’t tell me about the gypsum mine storage. West G.R. area? It makes me feel bad that I have her outside, but I get to see her every day this way. I put a good coat of wax on and clear coated any rust spots on the frame, etc. before taking out the batteries, though.

-Eric
Old 03-03-2007, 11:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
small world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdamer
Vickie:

Woodland didn’t tell me about the gypsum mine storage. West G.R. area? It makes me feel bad that I have her outside, but I get to see her every day this way. I put a good coat of wax on and clear coated any rust spots on the frame, etc. before taking out the batteries, though.

-Eric
small world, we live in assyria township and we looked at a motorhome for sale in caledonia about a month or so ago. it was at a gas station right on the main street so maybe you know it. it was just in too bad of shape for the price and we have since found a different one which we are very excited about. maybe we'll bump into each other one of these days. luckily we were looking for a motorhome or we might have had to battle it out for sweet betty lou! happy airstreaming!
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

southwestern , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towdaddy
Amsterdamer,

Thank you so much for the post informing me that Betty Lou I has found a home. It sounds as if she has gone to a nice home and is still close by. We were very attached to her and expected until this past May that she would be our only Airstream. I am very glad that she will continue on with my fun journeys.

I am sure Woodland explained that she has been stored inside (Gypsum mine) the two winters that we had her. I inquired about this floor plan a month before the delivery to Woodland. The day after she arrived at Woodland there was a SOLD sign in her window.

I will PM you with more background information.

Take good care of her and make many lasting memories,

Vickie (Mrs. Towdaddy)
hi kalamazoo from battle creek. as i told amseterdamer if we had been looking for a trailer instead of a motorhome we might have had to give him a run for his money for betty lou! glad she found a good home! blessings.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamers
small world, we live in assyria township and we looked at a motorhome for sale in caledonia about a month or so ago. it was at a gas station right on the main street so maybe you know it.
I saw that Classic Moho and wondered what kind of shape it was in. I tried to talk a friend into looking at it, but he’s not allowed to bring anything home that has a motor in it.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
runs in the family....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdamer
I tried to talk a friend into looking at it, but he’s not allowed to bring anything home that has a motor in it.
I wonder if your friend is married to my missing sister-in-law?

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

southwestern , Michigan
to amsterdamer, it was in terrible shape and he still wanted $20,000 for it. it certainly hadn't been well-loved and appreciated! it was pretty trashed and i just have to assume that if what you can see is in such bad shape, what are the chances that the stuff you don't see were taken care of. (like the engine, etc.) it belonged to the owner of the gas station it was sitting in front of.