Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #21
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Vintage is cool. New is cool. Depends upon what you want and how much effort you're willing to put into the RV.

Size DOES make a difference. We had a 22' International with 2 dogs and it was a real... effort. Every living being got in the way of each other until we put the dogs on the bed (a lab and a weenie dog). The lab, (Moby) was real apprehensive because he was never allowed on the bed at home. The weenie dog, (Katie) was in hog heaven, life was indeed good for her. But it cleared things up during inclement weather. With kids... I doubt you'd get the compliance we got with dogs...

Go for the largest A/S your vehicle can tow. Size DOES make a difference, especially when you're camping for more than a few days...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
My wife and I have a saying... "it sleeps two". Doesn't matter if it's a 16' Bambi or a 34' Classic with slide out, it still sleeps two!

Having said that... 23' is going to be tight for four people. The folks here who have suggested a 25' unit are right on target. When I was a teenager, my parents bought a 24' SOB unit. At the time, I thought it was rather tight quarters, though my parents thought it was perfect. It's all a matter of perspective, kids will tend to want more room than less (read that as they won't want to be THAT close to Mom & Dad all the time). A 25 footer has a lot more space than the 23'.

My $.02

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
We bought a 28' trailer the first time because we foolishly thought that our 2 teenage daughters would want to always go with us. That lasted all of 2 trips, but we still enjoyed the extra space.

We bought a 27' (actually 28') the second time because we didn't want to give up the space we had become accustomed to.

I would consider a 25' as the minimum size for 4 and look hard at a 27' or 28'.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #24
Hawkeyes & Harleys

2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Heather, I second ljmiii on making a decision on planned use. We just completed a 5 week 8K mile trip from NM to the New England area with our two pups in our 16' Quick Silver. If you plan to stay "in" the unit then size is important. However, if you are going for adventure and sight seeing then large size may be wasted (just my two cents worth). I still say that if walking around is the order of the day - open the door and you will never bump into anyone.
HOG-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:50 PM   #25
the biggoofball is mine

1973 27' Overlander
1972 Argosy 22
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Beautiful Southern Connecticut , Gateway to NEW ENGLAND Unit
Lightbulb Faced with similar decision . . . size, price, condition:

Hi Heather,

We just finished our search and were faced with similar choices. We are a family of three. My husband is 6'5" tall and we have a young son. Our search has been long, too long to post all of it.

We bought SOB, class C, 1979 RV that we found to be in above average condition at purchase; low mileage, all original interior, clean, bunk bed over driver/passenger seat (on son's wish list), good paint, one piece roof, inexpensive. After winter, we found that the roof had previously been cracked and not disclosed to us. The frame and channel in the back was rusted beyond reasonable repair. We really wanted to camp so we let go of vintage SOB -- sold it as a toy hauler -- listed on craigslist for 1500 less than our purchase price. It was gone within a day. It was a lesson about rust, quality of RV substrate, the domino effect and unfortunately the veracity of some sellers. Buyer beware.

Our searching proceeded to GMC motorhomes from 1973-78. Fiberglass/aluminum with a strong following and GMC only clubs. Very popular and they get decent mileage. We wanted to buy local and really never found one that was camp ready also we were starting to consider a trailer since we bought a '96 station wagon that could be a tow vehicle. We got the wagon after the class C purchase, it was an unforseeable purchase made to replace my husband's car -- untimely blown engine. The station wagon has been an incredablly welcome addition to our family. It is so comfortable that we will be fine driving in it for hours. The wagon is equipped with a tow package so we added a hitch (and associated parts) and are good to go. Our Max tow capacity is 5000lbs. [be careful to tow with an appropriately sized tow vehicle, we prefer to tow well under the 5k limit] and if you end up spending 50k on a new AS, put a few thousand into one of those super fancy hitches -- that's the advice we got from our AS previous owner]

As for trailer, we wanted vintage because of lower initial cost, vintage appeal, and lighter weight as compared to similar length late model trailers. Ideally, I wanted a 24 foot because typically there are three beds or gouchos. When we found a 22 foot in great condition and we concluded that the extra space isn't that important for us. We think our son will want to pitch a tent as he gets older. And, we always can use the back of the station wagon if we need the extra room. We realized that our use will be more like the bed & breakfast described above (nice analogy!) and that we will unhitch, set up camp and go local using the station wagon.

I think that it's going to be cozy for us with only two gouchos and with my tall husband but my son can share a bed with one of us for a while or even use a sleeping bag on the floor. The flexibility of a small trailer makes up for the lack of space -- for our style. We're used to a smaller house, shared bathroom, and tent camping out of the trunk of a Honda Accord etc.

I read the forum a lot before buying and noticed that many members have a small trailer, other members with longer trailers also own a smaller second AS. And, I ran across lots of "wanted" posts looking for a smaller trailer. I assume that fuel costs are driving the appeal of the smaller models, in addition to the other positives I listed.

We fondly laugh and joke when we talk about the lack of extra space in our 1880s Victorian home (square feet, closets, bathrooms, etc.); we talk about how well we know each other, how much time we spend together and how much we really love being together! We don't need no stinkin' McMansion! And our house has great location (but it is a project home!). We figure that we'll feel the same way with the trailer. And, if not, we can aquire more space in a 2nd AS trailer. Maybe it can be a project! LOL.

Finding a ready to camp, vintage was great fortune. So we went with it. Check with me in a couple months after our first trip(s). I'll let you know if our instincts were correct, whether we are perfectly cozy or much too close for comfort.

My advice, regardless of size is to get something you can camp in right-away because your children will grow up in the years it can take to restore a home (on or off wheels). We've been restoring our home for 12 years. We didn't want vacation-renovation too!

be sure to come back and let us know your decision.

Good luck,

Allie
Allie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Heather and Husband,

Since you live in L.A. You can camp all year long. We just returned from a weekend up near Frazier Park.

That being the case you will probably be out camping in the Winter. It does get brisk and you will be spending more time inside during the Winter monthes.

Just something else for you to consider.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
A different path...

We too decided that we wanted to go trailering in an Airstream. We looked around and decided that a 25FB would be right for us. Upon locating one that was exactly what we wanted in options and layout, we were a bit scared of the price - nearly $60k. We decided that, before we committed that much money, we needed to know whether or not we'd enjoy the trailering experience. We watched for something we could go camping in - right away without spending a lot of money. We purchased a 1976 Argosy that we have been able to use for a year now. We spent $5k on the camper and another $1k on accessories and some minor repairs. If we didn't like it, we could sell out for less than it would have cost to rent an RV for a week. We like it! Now we have a dilemma, the "twink" has become part of the family. Even if we wanted to have a 25FB, we wouldn't be able to sell the twink. It is about 4k lbs and is perfect for our TV. No problems whatsoever. Yes there is some diddling around but none of it has been particularly challenging. Our Argosy easily accomodates four (two double beds) but is more comfortable for two.
Remembering that there a number of folks here on the forum that can help with inspections.
My verdict: Buy a good condition used Airstream (or Argosy) and see if you like trailering in an Airstream. Then get the new or nearly new model that suits your fancy

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #28
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Mike you can't sell the twink, it's so you and Donna. Jan loves the way you have done the interior. BTW, how was the trip home from the Crater? Are you guys going to Picacho for New Years?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

General Airstream capacity rule: sleeps 2, eats 4, drinks 6.
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #30
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca
We are looking at financing around 50 thousand dollars and we are not rich. So I'm asking you experienced airstream travelers, what is best? Should we get a new one or try to find an old one and have it repaired and restored?
Heather
Heather, are you and your husband willing to do work on the camper yourselves? If so, restoration is pretty reasonable (comparative to the other options). For example, I will have about $12K all told in my 68 when it is "done" (at which point it will better than new). I have done almost all the work. If I had hired it out, it would have been a fortune. I dont consider myself particularlly handy, but I am willing to learn and I budget extra for goof ups. No doubt I used an extra box of flooring making mistakes. Even doing the work myself, the airstream has been a huge fianicial commitment for me. I should also note, that I think I get more pleasure from my Trade Wind because of the effort I have put into it, and it is fun showing off the work. I can tell you, for example, I am fairly proud of the folding table I built for it. All and all, it has become a reasonable hobby for when I cant be out camping. Maybe this is for you, maybe not, I dont know.

In the end, you must decide if you have the time and the money to be an airstreamer. I will promise you two things right now. One, for the right person an airstream is priceless. Two, no matter what you think it will cost you better double that number.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
do it right the first time

Hi Heather
Get the 25FB or 27FB. We made the costly mistake of buying the 25SS six months ago and just traded for the 27FB. More room for a family of 4. Be sure to check out the toilet....sit on it and close the door. Pretend you're washing dishes..do you have enough head room? Lay down on the bed...roomy enough? Convert the dinette into a bed.....long enough?

Since you need a new TV GET a 3/4 ton truck!!!!
Our SECOND costly mistake was we traded in our 2007 YukonXL for a 2008 Ford 250 diesel. It's like night and day. I feel extremely confident with this tv...... it makes taking out our Airstream an enjoyable instread of stressful experience.

We're taking our new baby out for her maiden voyage this weekend!

Good luck on your search for the "perfect" TV/Airstream combo.
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:03 PM   #32
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Bigger is probably better but new is maybe not

hey All, I guess I got luck, we got a used 28 foot Intl for about 30 K less than a new one, it came with the hitch and most accoutrements. We bought it from a dealer so we were able to use their service. They made out, the seller made out, they had to sell in a hurry and we made out, we have a great unit. Sure new would have been better but even an old Airstream should be in great shape. Bring somebody who knows Travel Trailers to an Airstream dealer, the the sales staff know you are interested and leave it up to them to find you one. Don’t be afraid to travel to pick it up either. You never know what you may find in other states.

BTW, go bigger than 23, I really liked the 25 and 27 Front bedroom. We ended up with a 28, easier to make the bed. You wont regret it. The cool thing about Airstreams IMHO is they don’t need to be new to be cool. The are well designed and have been for a long time.

One final note, I agree with the posts that said: make sure you have the right TV for the unit.

Have fun looking, that is a great time in a prospective AS owners life.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
I have a 2006 23ft, for my wife and i. No way i would get a 23 fot 4 people, in fact i wish i got at least a 30 footer. You will probably regret getting a small unit, but then you will need a diesel. I also would not get another gasser, i have a new silverado, which is great on gas. But i would never buy another truck for towing that isn't a diesel. JMO
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 AM   #34
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Four people in a 23' trailer? No thanks. I feel too cramped with just the wife, dog and I in ours.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:33 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Go To Classifieds!!!!!

There's a 28 CCD listed right now! It has Hazard Orange interior, not my favorite... and if you feel the same way, you can change this fairly easily AND a heck of a lot less expensively than buying BRAND new.

4 people in a 23 --- not good long term.

Paula
Old 09-24-2007, 06:26 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
What was the mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
Hi Heather
Get the 25FB or 27FB. We made the costly mistake of buying the 25SS
Can you give me some details on what the mistake was? Aren't these two trailers very similar? We are looking at perhaps buying either of these and I would like to know what you felt was inadequate with the SS

Thanks
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:45 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigv
Can you give me some details on what the mistake was? Aren't these two trailers very similar? We are looking at perhaps buying either of these and I would like to know what you felt was inadequate with the SS

Thanks
From my experience. I'd say the problem was the small cramped bathroom and the corner bed. Thats the reason we traded in our trailer with that floorplan for a 25 FB with its spacious bath and a bed that doesn't make you feel like youre in a three sided box.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:33 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
That bath/bed.... ewuh!

SS- The narrow "full size" bed right next to the corner bath...

First having to suck it in to get into the bathroom with a full bladder (think about it). The door can only open about 30 to 40 degrees before it hits the bed.

Second, your partner getting to share every digestive sound and odor.

Third one of you climbing over the top of the other to get to the cramped bathroom door.

Fourth, CAN you close the door if you're inside? Most people find it hard to do.

In reality there ISN'T a lot of privacy in any small trailer, but I wonder if they haven't thought of making the door something like a tambour so it would open wider.

Paula

------------
I have a 22' CCD which has the corner wet bath - and that's quite spacious (you can close the door while you "think and sit") - and the bath is at the other end from the full bed which lies across the front. All and all more civilized layout though the full bed still has the crawl over issues.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigv

Thanks
Three main problems with the SS
1. the bathroom (do yourself a favor...try sitting on the can with the door closed) we didn't think it would be a problem when we bought it but after taking her out a couple of times we realized we made a mistake.
2. the bed in the corner....not roomy enough for two because of the odd shape, no "nightstands" you're right against the wall and bathroom, and very difficult to fix.
3. the kitchen sink (unless you're tiny......it's hard washing dishes without a. knocking your head on the upper cabinet or b. slouching while washing dishes and trying not to hurt your back)

As newbies we didn't think these things would be a problem......we fell in love with the thought of buying an AIRSTREAM and overlooked these flaws in design.....actually we loved the "Ocean Breeze" decor and unfortunately it was in the 25' CCD SS!

WE DIDN'T SHOP ENOUGH! Don't rush to purchase! Get the right tow vehicle! Don't let the dealer tell you "your car can tow it".

Good luck!
Dennis
Old 09-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
From my experience. I'd say the problem was the small cramped bathroom and the corner bed. Thats the reason we traded in our trailer with that floorplan for a 25 FB with its spacious bath and a bed that doesn't make you feel like youre in a three sided box.
Hey goin camping....how long did you keep your SS?