Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
alncyn

1959 18' "Footer"
Lodi , California
we just brought home our 1959 Traveler!

Hi everyone -
Our names are Cindy & Al and we live in Lodi, CA. We drove to Ashland, OR last Tuesday to pick up our beautiful vintage airstream, which has had only 2 owners and lots of loving care. This is all quite new to us, so we're happy to have this forum to come to with questions -- and we're very excited about this new member in our family and new chapter in our lives!
Thanks!
p.s. The previous owner called our 1959 18 Footer (made in CA) a Wanderer, and when I asked him about that (after a bit of research), he said that in those days it was mainly a matter of dealer or owner preference. Seems, from what I've read, that it was more likely a "Traveler." Any thoughts?
cindychalled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!

Cindy (and Al..)

Welcome from Silicon Valley... If you're new to the Forums, you'll want to be practicing the use of the "Search" tab above, whish is a terrific tool for finding existig answers to thousands of questions about all versions of Airstreams.. Just type in the words you think should be in the questions or answers you need, and watch the results...

As for your model, there are several members with reference books and links to vintage airstream site (www.airstream.net) pages who could provide the exact model and build location information from your VIN number (which is a pretty short number by current standards...) if you posted it here...

Good luck with your project, and we hope to see you at a NorCal Forum Rally in the near future...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your "new" Airstream! You may want to check out the photo archives at www.vintageairstream.com, which also contains some VIN decoders at the top of each page. That may help you determine what you have. We were in a similar boat with our '60 18-Footer, which is actually a Caravel (Ohio built). Please post some pictures of your new baby - it sounds great. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Great choice on your Traveler. We are jealous, our 60 Traveler obviously had many loving miles followed by many many more miles which are evidenced by all the Alaska, Canada and Yukon stickers on the door inside a door. A previous owner had gutted it planning to make it into some type of makeup room for stars or mounting it on a fixed foundation. We are planning a body off reconstruction and would appreciate any photos of the inside cabinets, bed, head, galley and dinette or gaucho since all we have are the ghost outlines on the walls and floor.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Ah...you came right by us!

Welcome to the forums!

Congrats on your wonderful vintage trailer! Oh, post pictures, we love pictures!

We live about 30 miles south of Ashland...so you came right by us on your way home. Good thing it was last week. This week it was chain up to go over the mountain from Yreka to Ashland!

Be sure and check out the rally schedules on the blue toolbar. We have met more great people at this forum and at rallys! You will love it! Rallys are a great way to see others trailers and talk to other Airstreamers face to face and learn.

Welcome once again!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Baby it's cold inside.....

Congrats on your 'new' projec. With your excitement don't forget to winterize. I know that you area down in the valley but the weather geeks in Sacramento are calling for some below freezing temps this week. I just came back in from placing a small heater in our Tradewind we got from Oregon too. After we got it in April I had a number of split pipes (was not cold enough here then) and repairing them was not fun. I have drained and blown what I hope is much of the water from it but I have to get some RV anti-freeze tomorrow. So just in case I put a heater in for the night. The inch of snow that fell today has not melted so it must be winter. Hope to see you in some rallys soon.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:26 AM   #7
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
another 59 18 footer! congrats! hope yours is in better shape than mine was. i'm in the middle of a shell-off restoration/customization job. nothing was in my trailer when i brought her home... not even her FLOOR! you can see all my work to date here, if you feel like reading a novel...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ent-17197.html

i'm finally buttoning up the insulation and getting ready for the fun stuff! (this is how you end up with more than one, btw).

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags