Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Laguna Niguel , California
Hi Charlie,

You and your wife sound very similar to me and my wife with your desire to find someplace quieter and slower paced. We bought our 25' front bed and lived in it for nine weeks last summer with our cat. It worked really well for us. Our first visit to the dealer was to look at a 16 foot Bambi. We spent lots of time that day at the dealer sitting in the 16' and imagining what it would be like after a week of rain in the Pacific NW. It didn't take us long to realize we needed the 25 footer. For us it's the ideal size. (Although we sometimes joke about a 28' or even larger )

We tow it with a 1998 Dodge 2500 2 wheel drive Cummins diesel. I'm a fan of the Cummins motor having grown up operating a number of different trucks and implements powered by Cummins. As a point of reference, we averaged 15.7 mpg over the 6276 mile trip last summer that was mostly in the mountains of the Pacific NW. Your mileage may vary.

Have a great time and welcome to the forum!

-David

Old 06-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Hi Charlie and welcome aboard.

I can only tell you what we chose. We have a 25 FB which we love and because of the two room design we can stay in it for weeks and not feel crowded. It just gives each of us a space when we feel like we want it.

We opted for a 3/4 diesel. My crazy theory is that I'd rather have more than I need than less. Thus crossing crossing the rockies we have plenty of power and torque to do the speed limit with a reserve of power and on the flats the truck is in idle. So we're getting 15 mpg

In the past when we had too little truck I could feel the trailer pushing and going up hills or mountains was a struggle. Frankly towing was an uncomfortable experience.

As a side note. This forum and the WBCCI offer courtesy parking wherein member offer free overnight parking to other members. It's a great way to meet peoplle and find out about the areas you are visiting.

Good luck!

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Goin camping,

Would you go diesel again, if given the choice? I 'm just wondering if you still feel it was the right choice for you.

cheers,
Aage
Old 06-06-2008, 01:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Goin camping,

Would you go diesel again, if given the choice? I 'm just wondering if you still feel it was the right choice for you.

cheers,
Aage
Yep.

Some things for you to consider are.

Gas vehicles traditionally cost $5,000-7,000 less although right now with so few truck buyers that margain has shrunk.

Diesels have a lot more torque. I go up our large western mountains right at the speed limit and our trucks not even working hard.

Our diesel gets 15pmg while towing at the speed limit.

Big block gassers average around 10mpg.

A gal. of gas is approx $4.00 per gal and diesel is approx $5.00 so for a buck I get a %50 gain in mpg.

Your mileage may vary.

I never really considered a small block gasser because of the mountains and desert dirt road towing we do. A gassers power band is at higher rpms. I really hate going over the mountains at 40mph with the engine wound up. Now if you live in flat country and rarely if ever have to go over the rockies etc. a small block may work for you.

There are many people here who have and love small block gassers but a diesel with it's power and longevity is my first choice.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thanks, just curious.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #20
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Thanks, just curious.
Aage,
We had an F 250 V-10 that we towed our 22' International with. Peachy-keen. Got our current 30' Classic and tho' it towed it "fine", I could definitely tell the trailer was there and could hear the engine work hard on hills...

Traded in the gasser and got our current F 250 turbo diesel... a WORLD of difference. Engine doesn't work nearly as hard, pickup & go are vastly improved. Better mileage than with the V10 and I'll have an engine that will last longer. Hills/mountains are not the problem they were before, by a long shot.

I know there are a lot of pros and cons, gas vs. diesel (am pretty sure the Ford compares equally with the Dodge & Chevy 2500's - ride is different but that's what she said... ). The difference in engines for us was a marked improvement all the way around.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Charlie:

Welcome to the forums. Great question. I had the same question when I was trying to decide what Airstream model to buy. Study up on weight ratings as it will help you to answer the question. There are three weight ratings that you need to be aware of:
1. The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the RV
2. The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the tow vehicle
3. The gross combined vehicle weight rating (GCWR) of the tow vehicle.

The issue won't be in the pulling but in the stopping. The gross combined vehicle weight rating of the tow vehicle can be lower than the total of the GVWR of the RV and the tow vehicle. I will give you an example using my trailer and tow vehicle.

RV - Airstream Classic 30 with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs
Tow vehicle Dodge Ram 2500 with GVWR of 9,000 lbs
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Gross Combined Weight Rating is 20,000 lbs

In my case I cannot exceed the GCWR if I do not go over the trailer and truck gvwr's.

When I was trying to decide what model Airstream to buy and what tow vehicle to buy I set up an Excel spreadsheet to ensure that I would be within the ratings.

The Escapee forums and the Good Sam forums have many threads on weight ratings. Many will argue that you can go over them. I prefer to err on the side of safety and having too much power and stopping ability rather than too little.

Having knowledge of how weight ratings affect your choice should help you make an informed decision.

Good luck and have fun in making your selection.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #22

San Diego , California
Wow, Thanks to everyone. I have a lot to consider and chew for now. We have decided on a 25footer for sure. Goldie-our Dog is 80lbs and insists on sleeping with us, LOL, so we need room.

Thanks Again
Old 06-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Charlie /Welcome
See U were warned . Question asked 100 time a 1000 different answers. I have to agree ,with the consenious Pick the Airstream First. My Opionion only Pick one size above what U think U need.Then the TV. In one poll I believe the outcome was overwhelmingly 3/4 ton Desiel.
I wanted a 34 ft U know men, the bigger the better. We finally settled on 27 ft Vintage.It fit our budget. I had the TV 1ton F350 V8 Diesel.Crewcab ,longbed.
Just don't let someone talk U into a foreign made Truck they are mostly to short and to light. Remember Charlie U cant stop a boxcar with a tri-cycle.
The Best of Luck and "May all your roads be smooth and May U always have a Tailwind."
Roger