Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Charlie:

Welcome to the forums. Great question. I had the same question when I was trying to decide what Airstream model to buy. Study up on weight ratings as it will help you to answer the question. There are three weight ratings that you need to be aware of:
1. The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the RV
2. The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the tow vehicle
3. The gross combined vehicle weight rating (GCWR) of the tow vehicle.

The issue won't be in the pulling but in the stopping. The gross combined vehicle weight rating of the tow vehicle can be lower than the total of the GVWR of the RV and the tow vehicle. I will give you an example using my trailer and tow vehicle.

RV - Airstream Classic 30 with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs
Tow vehicle Dodge Ram 2500 with GVWR of 9,000 lbs
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Gross Combined Weight Rating is 20,000 lbs

In my case I cannot exceed the GCWR if I do not go over the trailer and truck gvwr's.

When I was trying to decide what model Airstream to buy and what tow vehicle to buy I set up an Excel spreadsheet to ensure that I would be within the ratings.

The Escapee forums and the Good Sam forums have many threads on weight ratings. Many will argue that you can go over them. I prefer to err on the side of safety and having too much power and stopping ability rather than too little.

Having knowledge of how weight ratings affect your choice should help you make an informed decision.

Good luck and have fun in making your selection.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #22

San Diego , California
Wow, Thanks to everyone. I have a lot to consider and chew for now. We have decided on a 25footer for sure. Goldie-our Dog is 80lbs and insists on sleeping with us, LOL, so we need room.

Thanks Again
charlie636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Charlie /Welcome
See U were warned . Question asked 100 time a 1000 different answers. I have to agree ,with the consenious Pick the Airstream First. My Opionion only Pick one size above what U think U need.Then the TV. In one poll I believe the outcome was overwhelmingly 3/4 ton Desiel.
I wanted a 34 ft U know men, the bigger the better. We finally settled on 27 ft Vintage.It fit our budget. I had the TV 1ton F350 V8 Diesel.Crewcab ,longbed.
Just don't let someone talk U into a foreign made Truck they are mostly to short and to light. Remember Charlie U cant stop a boxcar with a tri-cycle.
The Best of Luck and "May all your roads be smooth and May U always have a Tailwind."
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote