Old 02-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
We got derailed by an Airstream! :)

Hi everyone!

Well, my wife and I thought we had it all figured out for this year's camping. My mom and dad brought my brother and I up camping and my wife and I have been camping together for 25 years. We were ending up 2017 with our 2005 Forest River Sierra 35' which we purchased new. Has been a fantastic camper. Our 3 kids are older now, one in college, and so we figured we would downsize campers. We fell in love (or so we thought) with a 22' retro style camper with a slide out and we started making plans to sell ours and buy it.
In January, we decided to go to the local camper show here in Atlanta, you know, just to make sure it was the right one . First area we went to was where the Airstreams were. Never even considered one, mainly because they did not have slide outs (ours had 2) and heard they were expensive. We've never known anyone with one either. For kicks, we decided to walk into an FC FBQ27 and that is where the train left the tracks! Totally did not expect what we experienced. It was amazing, we both walked out of it quietly and started looking at other campers again, you know, the box ones. We got back to the area that had the retro one that we had originally planned to buy and tried making up with it, but, the damage was done. I asked my wife what else she wanted to look at while at the show and she looked at me at me and said, "hey, how about we go back and look at those Airstreams?" She didn't have to ask me twice! We left the show and started scheming at how we could pull this off, especially since the 25Fb we had talked with the National AS rep at the show about was $57k more than the one we were planning on buying!
Long story short, our Sierra sold for exactly what I wanted last Thursday, scrounged up the rest, called around on Saturday to multiple dealers around the country and landed on an FC 25FBQ Truffle for exactly what we wanted to pay, plus the added bonus of the solar package for the price of one without! Another added bonus is that it is in the hometown of my brother 6 hours away. We are heading down next Thursday for a pick up on Friday! Soooo excited!! Been poking around this forum and it is a wealth of information and feels like home. Looking forward to being a part of the AS community!

Haulin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Congrats
Same thing happened to us last year and we bought a preowned 2014 25FB and really enjoy it
What is your tow vehicle ?

dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbecke View Post
Congrats
Same thing happened to us last year and we bought a preowned 2014 25FB and really enjoy it
What is your tow vehicle ?
Ha ha, yeah it happens pretty quick. Totally took us by surprise. Congrats on yours!

We'll be using my 2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 Diesel, same one we used to tow the Sierra with (11k lbs loaded). I have had it since new and love it! I also used a Hensley Arrow on the old camper, which I will be installing on the new AS.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Suwanee , Georgia
If you met the AS rep you must have been at the show Friday or Saturday. We were there Sunday and he wasn't.

On Sunday my wife spent at fair amount of time in the Airstreams talking non-AS owners into the benefits of buying one. If you'd been there Sunday we could blame her for your conversion.

Enjoy your new camper!
Erik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Love the way you wrote your story. Yeah, once you walk into an Airstream, if you get bit....you canít even imagine any other trailer! You are going to absolutely love it!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Congratulations on the new trailer!
Spend some time and effort and go over it with a fine tooth comb before leaving the dealership.
Good move with the Hensley hitch!
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

North Bend , Washington
Congratulations! We are newbies too and are loving it.
ESC2SNTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Congratulations on the new trailer!
Spend some time and effort and go over it with a fine tooth comb before leaving the dealership.
Good move with the Hensley hitch!
Thanks! Yeah, towing with a Hensley is kinda like walking into the AS for the first time. Once you do, there's no going back! Like the AS, expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

No way in heck would I have towed my 38' (hitch to bumper) 11k# box camper without it! She towed straight as an arrow and I never had a white-knuckle experience with it.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin8or View Post
Hi everyone!

Well, my wife and I thought we had it all figured out for this year's camping. My mom and dad brought my brother and I up camping and my wife and I have been camping together for 25 years. We were ending up 2017 with our 2005 Forest River Sierra 35' which we purchased new. Has been a fantastic camper. Our 3 kids are older now, one in college, and so we figured we would downsize campers. We fell in love (or so we thought) with a 22' retro style camper with a slide out and we started making plans to sell ours and buy it.

In January, we decided to go to the local camper show here in Atlanta, you know, just to make sure it was the right one . First area we went to was where the Airstreams were. Never even considered one, mainly because they did not have slide outs (ours had 2) and heard they were expensive. We've never known anyone with one either. For kicks, we decided to walk into an FC FBQ27 and that is where the train left the tracks! Totally did not expect what we experienced. It was amazing, we both walked out of it quietly and started looking at other campers again, you know, the box ones. We got back to the area that had the retro one that we had originally planned to buy and tried making up with it, but, the damage was done. I asked my wife what else she wanted to look at while at the show and she looked at me at me and said, "hey, how about we go back and look at those Airstreams?" She didn't have to ask me twice! We left the show and started scheming at how we could pull this off, especially since the 25Fb we had talked with the National AS rep at the show about was $57k more than the one we were planning on buying!

Long story short, our Sierra sold for exactly what I wanted last Thursday, scrounged up the rest, called around on Saturday to multiple dealers around the country and landed on an FC 25FBQ Truffle for exactly what we wanted to pay, plus the added bonus of the solar package for the price of one without! Another added bonus is that it is in the hometown of my brother 6 hours away. We are heading down next Thursday for a pick up on Friday! Soooo excited!! Been poking around this forum and it is a wealth of information and feels like home. Looking forward to being a part of the AS community!

Welcome to the community, your going love it.
We purchased ours 3 years ago and love it. Ours is a 2008 Safari Se 27FB.
We just upgraded our Axles to Dexterís new no lube and no adjust brakes.
The quality you get in a AirStream is worth the extra money.
DSteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
We had the same experience at the Atlanta show, a few years ago. We looked at every kind of RV. Big, little, drive, towed, and kept coming back to the Airstream. Our 28 Serenity comes offline on April 12.
Southland (Atlanta dealer) has been great to work with.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Congratulations on your new trailer!
And, Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to the Airstream community. We had a similar experience at an RV show a couple of years ago. The Airstream trailers are just so different than the box style. We have owned one since 05 and thoroughly enjoy it.

Be ready for a long ownership. Our Airstream is a 1986 Limited in good shape. I also have a 75 Overlander that I'm making into good shape. There are many, many older Airstreams in the campgrounds just like there are newer ones. A guy can hardly tell the difference.

I think you will enjoy sharing your new Airstream adventures here on Air Forums.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1410 Black Stripe (Small).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	305151  
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Welcome to the forum. Start exercising those cheek muscles to stay in shape for the smiles to come .... or maybe you are in the mode now. Hope to meet you down the road with one of those smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:19 AM   #14
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Haulin8or-

Great name by the way.

Yes, it's too late. You drank the koolaid. Smelled the lack of formaldehyde. Pushed on interior partition walls that don't flex like cola cans. Listened to the bank vault door close.

Welcome to the obsession! Glad you're here! And I think today's the day! WOOHOO! As a bus driver trainer told me once......take a you time...don't be in a rush...... (He was a very sweet older Italian man)

Seriously, take your time. Make sure they spend all the time it takes until you're ready to drive away. And when something breaks or doesn't work, or needs tweaking, remember, it can be fixed. Sometimes new Airstreams need a little tweaking, as most new things do. But oh boy, you're gonna have a smile on your face towing it when you get used to it......

Best Wishes!

ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote