Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
WBCCI - Numbers on new trailer?

I recently joined the WBCCI and was assigned member #1122. I got the numbers in the package, however, I am having qualms about placing them on my new trailer. My hesitation stems from the fact that all the older trailers that I see with the stickers (removed) seem to has some residual glue remaining where the numbers were once affixed. I am planning to go to a shop to have magnetic stickers made for my new WBCCI number. Anyone have any other suggestions. Is there a requirement to put these stickers on your trailer, etc? Any feedback is appreciated?
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Magnets won't stick to aluminum!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
oops, thanks Sphere Guy. I guess no stickers for me.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
NP benjisgal, BTW, how did you get a low WBCCI number?

I think the numbers also give identifying characteristics to your AS in case they get "Misplaced" HAHA.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1971 27' Overlander
2004 25' Safari
Jourdanton , Texas
You might try this thread

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ers-55898.html

Jim
Prickly Pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Yep the shadow left when the numbers are removed can be a real job to completely make go away.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Mount the numbers on clear plexi and velcro to front and rear window. Or, we went to local sign shop and they made us numbers all on one sheet, peel and affix on outside of front and rear window
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
On the other hand, having those numbers etched into the aluminum makes the next owner of your rig more apt to try to get just those numbers again. (That's how we wound up getting 21043 ... again.)

Lynn
Old 02-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Like Groucho Marx, I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have ME as a member......so my comments may not be germane....

Out of curiosity, your new number seems like a 'low' member number - do you know if they have taken to reassigning old, expired member's numbers? I was under the impression that 'smaller' numbers indicated members that had been in the club longer than later, 'higher' numbers...

You're right about leaving 'evidence' on the alum surface - I carefully removed the vinyl numbers on our 1978 AS (#30028, the original owner's, I assume) when we bought it three years ago, and the 'shadows' of the numbers are still visible to some degree...

The clubs bylaws may have some requirements about displaying your 'number'...Once you stick em' on your AS, I guess you're considered 'Branded'.

Have lots fun with your group...that's what it's all about...
Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The numbers have been recycled for some time now. You can also request a number if it is available.

Not having numbers on your trailer is considered being "bald".

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Our number, 1210, was recycled.

Ellen
Rawfoodgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
The WBCCI number I was given is the same as the street # of the address I sent in.
Maybe the powers that be feel that when the "geezers" start sunsetting they will remember their home address and ramble off on home.
This spring I'll be having smaller numbers made at the sign shop and sticking them on the front and rear windows. Easy on and easy off.

IMHO this is the real reason the Wally Club started putting big red numbers on the trailers.

Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	They all Look the Same.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1,007.1 KB
ID:	121910  

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I'd put the number on just like Wally Byam recommended. Quite frankly, if you sell the trailer it will be somebody elses problem, and should not affect the value.

My 1963 had number 8993 on it for over 40 years when I bought it. I removed them and polished the aluminum. I put 1200 (the number my Dad was assigned in 1956) on the Trade Wind and you can't see any evidence of the old numbers.

There is great heritage in the WBCCI, and the big red numbers connect you with Wally's legacy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0163.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	121912  
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Why not put on the top of the rear window and the front rock guard? That's what we plan on doing once we are finished polishing. I also saw a clever idea at RMVAC this summer someone with a flying cloud had a cloud shaped piece of aluminum cut and placed the numbers on it. Not too sure how it was attached. Good luck.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
MAGNETIC NUMBERS.... "Where's your Sign?" I laughed aloud for a long time about this question.....

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will leave the numbers off until I participate in a caravan. I prefer being bald to being branded. I like the WBCCI and will try to comply with the "number" via some other method.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
MAGNETIC NUMBERS.... "Where's your Sign?" I laughed aloud for a long time about this question.....

Todd
Maybe, I'm using the incorrect terminology...

I'm speaking of the signs and ribbons and other paraphernalia that people attach to their vehicles, which can be peeled off after they no longer want it displayed. I have my FBI retired Agent logos attached to my windows. The day of the permanent sticker is gone for most items that people attached to their cars. In fact, I'm going to my A/S tomorrow to see if these new "magnetic" stickers can affix to the aluminum.

I call them "magnetic" because you can buy paper in the stores to create your own "magnets" for refrigerators, etc. I use to create similar lists for my crime scene trucks.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
Old 02-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post

Todd

Magnetic numbers - numbers (stickers) that have properties of a magnet; exhibiting magnetism. For example: The clock have a magnetic back to stick to the refrigerator. The sticker has a magnetic back to stick to the car window. The business sign has a magnetic back to stick to the rear passenger side door. The "Where's your Sign" sticker had a magnetic back to stick to my rear bumper. Get it!!!
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #19
_

. , .
this 2010 trailer skin has a rolled on clearcoat from alcoa.

so applying the vinyl numbers OVER that will not leave any stain/imprint in the aluminum.

like the material used to wrap cars now,

or the vinyl graphics applied OVER clearcoated paint industry wide.

the red numbers can easily be removed with a heat gun,

once warmed the vinyl peels right off as does the adhesive,

and any residual adhesive is easily removed with 91% alcohol.
________

i peeled my wb' number off after 4+ years without issues or ANY shadowing on the end caps.
________

of course if one BUFFS or attempt to POLISH a panel that has vinyl graphic applied,

the skin UNDER the graphic will not be buffed/scuffed and might still SHINE when the numbers are removed.

so a couple of coats of wax/sealant may be needed to smooth or even out the gloss and shine.

regardless, modern vinyl applied over modern clearcoats does not 'ghost' or otherwise imprint...
________

the wb' was/is using 3m or avery-dennison water/pressure contact vinyl for the numbering.

this allows for slight repositioning when applied and burping of air with any tiny bubbles eventually evaporating.

once dry there is no traditional adhesive residue or gunk.

and again, removal is simple quick and easy when heat is applied to the vinyl.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjisgal View Post
Maybe, I'm using the incorrect terminology...

I'm speaking of the signs and ribbons and other paraphernalia that people attach to their vehicles, which can be peeled off after they no longer want it displayed. I have my FBI retired Agent logos attached to my windows. The day of the permanent sticker is gone for most items that people attached to their cars. In fact, I'm going to my A/S tomorrow to see if these new "magnetic" stickers can affix to the aluminum.

I call them "magnetic" because you can buy paper in the stores to create your own "magnets" for refrigerators, etc. I use to create similar lists for my crime scene trucks.
Hi, maybe you are thinking of "Cling Decals" they stick onto almost any smooth surface.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote