Old 02-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
MAGNETIC NUMBERS.... "Where's your Sign?" I laughed aloud for a long time about this question.....

Todd

Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will leave the numbers off until I participate in a caravan. I prefer being bald to being branded. I like the WBCCI and will try to comply with the "number" via some other method.

WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
ďI donít want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.Ē
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
MAGNETIC NUMBERS.... "Where's your Sign?" I laughed aloud for a long time about this question.....

Todd
Maybe, I'm using the incorrect terminology...

I'm speaking of the signs and ribbons and other paraphernalia that people attach to their vehicles, which can be peeled off after they no longer want it displayed. I have my FBI retired Agent logos attached to my windows. The day of the permanent sticker is gone for most items that people attached to their cars. In fact, I'm going to my A/S tomorrow to see if these new "magnetic" stickers can affix to the aluminum.

I call them "magnetic" because you can buy paper in the stores to create your own "magnets" for refrigerators, etc. I use to create similar lists for my crime scene trucks.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
ďI donít want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.Ē
Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post

Todd

Magnetic numbers - numbers (stickers) that have properties of a magnet; exhibiting magnetism. For example: The clock have a magnetic back to stick to the refrigerator. The sticker has a magnetic back to stick to the car window. The business sign has a magnetic back to stick to the rear passenger side door. The "Where's your Sign" sticker had a magnetic back to stick to my rear bumper. Get it!!!
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
_

. , .
this 2010 trailer skin has a rolled on clearcoat from alcoa.

so applying the vinyl numbers OVER that will not leave any stain/imprint in the aluminum.

like the material used to wrap cars now,

or the vinyl graphics applied OVER clearcoated paint industry wide.

the red numbers can easily be removed with a heat gun,

once warmed the vinyl peels right off as does the adhesive,

and any residual adhesive is easily removed with 91% alcohol.
________

i peeled my wb' number off after 4+ years without issues or ANY shadowing on the end caps.
________

of course if one BUFFS or attempt to POLISH a panel that has vinyl graphic applied,

the skin UNDER the graphic will not be buffed/scuffed and might still SHINE when the numbers are removed.

so a couple of coats of wax/sealant may be needed to smooth or even out the gloss and shine.

regardless, modern vinyl applied over modern clearcoats does not 'ghost' or otherwise imprint...
________

the wb' was/is using 3m or avery-dennison water/pressure contact vinyl for the numbering.

this allows for slight repositioning when applied and burping of air with any tiny bubbles eventually evaporating.

once dry there is no traditional adhesive residue or gunk.

and again, removal is simple quick and easy when heat is applied to the vinyl.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjisgal View Post
Maybe, I'm using the incorrect terminology...

I'm speaking of the signs and ribbons and other paraphernalia that people attach to their vehicles, which can be peeled off after they no longer want it displayed. I have my FBI retired Agent logos attached to my windows. The day of the permanent sticker is gone for most items that people attached to their cars. In fact, I'm going to my A/S tomorrow to see if these new "magnetic" stickers can affix to the aluminum.

I call them "magnetic" because you can buy paper in the stores to create your own "magnets" for refrigerators, etc. I use to create similar lists for my crime scene trucks.
Hi, maybe you are thinking of "Cling Decals" they stick onto almost any smooth surface.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:51 AM   #21
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The shadow being mentioned here is not the decal, glue or a residue. The number actually is protecting the aluminum under it. What you see is the effect of the elements on the skin and the shadow is actually the oxidation around the numbers surface. Many East Coast trailers are exposed to high acids in the rain due to all the power plants and industry up wind of us. The rain etches the skin and you see the ghost numbers because the skin was protected by decal. If you get up close you can see this very easily. On my trailer, a previous owners numbers is the only area not etched by the rain. A cling type decal will make zero difference in protecting or harming you skin as opposed to a traditional decal. Cover the whole trailer with a decal and you might be on to something.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
It is common for people with MoHo or new trailers to put the numbers on a sheet of something and display them through a window.
Welcome to WBCCI. We joined 4 years ago and have been on 5 caravans so far. I suggest trying one as soon as you are able. weekend rallies good, but for us the carvans are just great.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
Various tips for temporarily applying the numbers can be found on this blog post:
big red numbers | 'STREAMING

and on this one:
Applying Red WBCCI Member Numbers on the Weasel | Weaselmouth

and here:
So That’s What Those Big Red Numbers Mean! | streaminacrossamerica.com

The preprinting on vinyl option sounds like a good one. Good luck!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We just joined as well, number 1211. Looking forward to our first caravan.

Doug and Cheryl