Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Ohio
WARNING: Newbie in the House

So, I found this forum in my search for information on the Airstream. The first time I saw an Airstream was in the move "A Perfect World" with Kevin Costner. I remember thinking "Wow that is the coolest camper I’ve ever seen. I want one". Now that I have a job, I can start saving up to get one. I'm looking at buying a fairly cheap one that I can remodel myself. Some of you will probably say that I can buy one for the price of all the time and money I’m gonna put into a cheap used one, and it's true. But my dream has always been to make it the way I want, choosing my own appliances and color scheme. Anyway, I hope to learn a lot about the Airstream from this board. Laters.
nighthawk824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome

Do you know they are made right in Ohio? Jackson Center - about 50 miles north west of Columbus. By all means go on the factory tour and you'll be able to see several under construction - always helpful if you want to get into restoration. Meanwhile you've found the right place to learn and look for Airstreams. Check the classified section.

Paula
Old 05-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
While it's true you can probably get a brand-new trailer for what you will eventually sink into a vintage one, you can, as you stated, customise it how you want it, within reason. It does need to remain safe to tow, and there are load factors and weights to consider.
You can also buy an old Airstream, and work on it bit by bit, and if you run out of cash for a few months, no one is going to come reposess it on you.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome the the Forums, Nighthawk...owning an AS—vintage or new—is a fine goal...so good luck with the search and satisfying your goal... And when you get it you'll have even more fun with it! Glas you could join in the fun!

See you down the road when you get rolling...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Welcome, you've come to the right place to learn the fine arts of airstream maintenance! I had many of the same aspirations when I purchased my first airstream. I would suggest asking lots of questions on the various AIR threads BEFORE purchasing your first trailer! Purchasing one can be just as mysterious and wondrous as working on one.

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Welcome to the forums. Glad to have you. Good luck on your search. IMHO, buying an older one and fixing it up the way you want it is the way to go. After reading all the problems on the new ones, the older units seem to be better built. If Wally were still alive and overseeing the prduction, i would not hesitate buying a new one. I dont think the AS builders today really have the love of them like Wally did.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Welcome! Ohioan

We are glad to see another Ohio AS lover here! You might keep an eye on the threads here to see when another Ohio rally pops up. There are several planned each summer. Some of us just decide to go for the weekend and a few more join us and pretty soon it is a rally! At the rally we usually have at least one potluck and an open house. It is a good way to get to see the many kinds and floorplans. Dream on! and Good Luck! Hope to see you down the road.
Larry and Lou - SW of Cleveland
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Ohio
I feel so welcomed here. Thanks to all who posted. I thought I’d take the time to share some of the ideas I have for my AS renovation, seeing as I can’t stop thinking about it. I know that when I get my AS, I'm going to spend a fair amount of time in it before gutting it. I'm also enlisting the help of my step dad, because he has already renovated a trailer. I want to use MDF or something like it to help conserve some trees. I also want to try and make it as energy efficient as possible. I will probably opt for a composting toilet as opposed to a regular commode. I know that’s another 150 pounds, but I can probably loose the black water tank. Then make my fresh water one a little bigger. That is theory for the moment though. I only have a vague understanding of how trailers work. I want to opt for a washer/dryer unit to. More weight I know, but less expense than a Laundromat. This is just fantasy time right now. I have enough reality in my life. I want to do the living area in lavender, the galley in Red/Black/and Diamond Steel, the bedroom in orange and the bathroom in blue. I was thinking a nautical theme, a little cliché, huh? I wanted to do my shower in tile, but I’m not sure if that will work in a camper. I hope it does, because there is nothing like a custom tile shower. I don’t even have the trailer yet, and I can’t stop thinking about it. I'm really excited about getting an AS.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
In order to have room and facilities for a washer and dryer, you would be looking at a 34 foot coach, which will require a pretty hefty tow vehicle. A composting toilet is a good idea, but I don't think it would be practical if you want to tow it to RV parks and campgrounds that don't have on-campsite sewer drains.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Ohio
Envirolet Waterless Self-Contained Composting Toilet Systems
"Envirolet® Waterless Self-Contained Systems are "all-in-one" units install right on your bathroom floor."
Old 05-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You can get a combination washer/dryer, like the ones they use in the UK and Asia. Try LG or Samsung.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Welcome to the forum glad to have you aboard. Their's nothing like an Airstream.

I would be very careful using to MDF for two reasons: 1) It is the heaviest sheet goods one can buy and keeping your construction light is key. 2) MDF is made with Formaldehyde.
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Ohio
So after reading SaabLover's post, I decided to start doing research on green friendly building products. Why I did'nt do the search before, I don't know. I found this website that has more products then I first thought possible. They're stuff may seem a little on the pricey side, but I don't think you can put a price on saving mother earth. Besides, are people who use campers and RV's exempt from doing their part?
Green Building Supply, Non Toxic Supplies, Environmentally Friendly Materials
Old 05-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You can probably save some money and buy a lot of your materials locally. The major players are producing materials with low VOCs, Formaldehyde, etc. Another problem with MDF and other particle board materials is their propensity for absorbing moisture, causing them to swell and distort.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Ohio
You know, after reading some project logs on the board,I'm very much re thinking this whole thing. I'm finding that it will be very time consuming and expensive. I wasn’t expecting it to take a week to do but I also don't want it to take five years. And I certainly don’t want it costing more than a brand new trailer. I don’t learn very well by reading. I'm a hands on learner, always have been. So reading the full monty kind of posts about leaking this, rivet that, and having 0 clue about any of it, is useless to me. Now some may be thinking that I’m getting discouraged already, but I’m trying to be realistic. I have a habit of getting excited about things, then suddenly losing interest. Not a good thing if I've dropped a few thousand on a trailer and have no drive to finish the task I’ve started. So, I may call it quits and just buy a fairly new one and be happy with it.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk824
You know, after reading some project logs on the board,I'm very much re thinking this whole thing. I'm finding that it will be very time consuming and expensive. I wasn’t expecting it to take a week to do but I also don't want it to take five years. And I certainly don’t want it costing more than a brand new trailer. I don’t learn very well by reading. I'm a hands on learner, always have been. So reading the full monty kind of posts about leaking this, rivet that, and having 0 clue about any of it, is useless to me. Now some may be thinking that I’m getting discouraged already, but I’m trying to be realistic. I have a habit of getting excited about things, then suddenly losing interest. Not a good thing if I've dropped a few thousand on a trailer and have no drive to finish the task I’ve started. So, I may call it quits and just buy a fairly new one and be happy with it.
Very wise. These projects are labors of love and as you are seeing do require LOTS of time and money. I suspect we're all slightly mad to begin with and then too for continuing... No harm done in your case! That's one of the benefits of the forum. Test the waters before jumping in. Check out the classified section. You might also find this thread interesting: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...nds-37064.html as an example of what the market is like. Good luck and keep posting your researches and questions!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote