Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bremerton , Washington
Want to buy an AS

Hello,
My husband and I will be retiring soon and want to do some serious travelling, hopefully in an Airstream. I am looking at mid to late 80's that has been updated and refurbished, ready to roll. We would like a unit in the 28-31 foot length. My main question is: Which is the more upgraded model, a Sovereign or Excella? There seems to be SO many models, it's hard for me to tell which is considered high end. Budget of course is a consideration. Another question is if we do not buy locally, is it hard to find someone to do an inspection where the trailer is located? I'm sure I will think of a million more questions but this is enough for now. Thanks for any help out there !
Julie
Julie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome to the forums!

Hi Julie, Welcome to the forums. If you need someone to inspect a trailer for you go to the Portal page and look to the right about mid way down. You will find Airstream inspectors sorted by state. This is a helpful link too. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html

The hunt for an Airstream is both exciting and frustrating. Good luck!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hello and welcome to airforums.com, Julie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie B View Post
Hello,
My husband and I will be retiring soon and want to do some serious travelling, hopefully in an Airstream.
Well, by all means, do some serious travelling, but remember that the main reason for travelling is F-U-N as well!

Hope you took a look here on the classified section. Look up to the top line, you'll see the link there. It will open in a new browser, but your same user name and password will work there, too.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Excella is generally swankier than Sovereign. But it might be worth being flexible - emphasize condition (these are 25ish year old trailers, after all) over trim line.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I found my Bambi on the classifieds and used the inspector service. The inspector was great and it is the only way I would buy out of state. Have fun with your search and ask A LOT of questions about any AS your looking at and then find an inspector. Have fun and welcome to the addiction!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
Welcome

Hi Julie and welcome to the forum. If you look at the upper right hand corner of the air forum page, you will see an indicator of your activity on the forum, including private messages. I have an 1985 excella that may meet your needs, so I will send you a private message (pm).
ol'
bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Bremerton , Washington
Thanks Aage,
Have looked at the classified at great length and there are many to choose from in my price range. We LOVE Canada and that will be of our first trips. We've been to Nova Scotia and PEI twice and love it there.
Thanks again, Julie
Old 06-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Bremerton , Washington
Thanks Tom for the comparison. The Classic is also very nice but seem rare on the market. It's been fun looking through the classifieds. The forum is a great source of information. Thanks
Julie
Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Bremerton , Washington
Thanks blmitch5,
Glad to know there are inspectors out there. You are right, this is an "Addiction". The more I see, the more I want one.
Thanks Julie
Old 06-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Bremerton , Washington
Hi Bill,

It may be a little too soon for us to purchase but please keep me posted as to availability. If possible can you send photos to my email: bacherhaus@yahoo.com
Thanks, Julie
Old 07-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Bremerton , Washington
Hi Bill,

Since we live in the same state, same weather, have you had any problems with leaks. I've read many posts regarding chronic leaks in both old and new AS's, I'm a little worried about purchasing a trailer. Don't want to spend a lot of time looking for leaks and trying to fix them.
Julie