Old 08-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Mobile , Alabama
Vintage Newbie

I just wanted to jump in a say HELLO! I was reading some of the posts from other "Newbies" and I am beginning to realize just how lucky I am! Not only have I joined a very special group of people, but I am lucky I got my new toy home at all! I've never even been in an RV before - but when I complained bitterly about hotel accommodations on game weekends (Our kids leave for college tomorrow - and they are in the band!!!), my husband commented "If we had an RV, we could tailgate in comfort ..." So, of course I said "only an airstream will do."

At this point I should admit that I have never bought a house that I did not immediately tear into and change... and I grew up in a 150+ year old home - so a new airstream was out of the question - I wouldn't know what to do with "New!"

Within 2 weeks of that initial conversation, My daughter and I drove a couple of hours from home for a wedding - and then to get the Airstream I found on Craigslist. Long story-short, I knew NOTHING!!! But it was the best day ever!!! I don't know her whole history, but we bought her from a family who bought her 8 years earlier from the widow of a man who used it as a hunting camp. The family before us bought it to renovate, but never did. No books, no knowledge to pass on, not even a plug on the end of the wires at the front. The PO wired a temporary connection to my truck, and off we went!

The adventure started 25 miles down the road (on tires that sat for 7 years), when I pulled off the interstate into a Walmart parking lot and noticed smoke pouring from the streetside (learning the lingo) wheels.

At dusk on a Saturday night...

Airstreams bring out the absolute BEST in people!!! A postman, heading home from his rounds stopped to admire our "new shiny" and offered some advice on "packing the bearings" !?!?!?! Uh oh - I have no clue what we were talking about! While we were chatting, a gorgeous red F250 pulled up and out pops THE NICEST COUPLE!!! They live full time in a 5th wheel and travel to jobs. He knew exactly what to do! He rewired my brakes & tail lights. And diagnosed the smoke problem - The PO had helpfully hard wired the trailer brakes to my lights, so I HAD BEEN DRAGGING IT DOWN THE INTERSTATE!!! We were told to stay the night in a hotel (The nice couple pulled our Airstream to the hotel parking lot and parked it facing out for us). Sunday morning we triumphantly pulled our Airstream the last 120 miles home.

We have named her the WeagleWagon. She needs new axles and tires, new floors, a gray water tank ..... But I am officially addicted to her. I've never renovated anything that moves, but my husband and I have also never met anything we couldn't handle. I have been reading every vintage renovation post, book, or blog I can find! I know it will take time and patience, but Hey - we are empty nesters now!

We will be roughing it for tailgating this year (And maybe still staying in hotels) - But the grill will be fired up and ready after the Auburn University Marching Band has played the Alma Mater at the end of the game, and our "bandies" (and all their friends) come out of the stadium ready to be fed!

And both of my kids are so excited that they have an AIRSTREAM for tailgating!!! Yes - we are still "cool!"

WeagleWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums, and thank goodness for the the generosity of strangers in helping you get home safe.

Good luck with the rebuild/rennovations.

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Mobile , Alabama
Weaglewagon, I'm a newb too and I don't know how airstream people say hello, but I can say War Damn Eagle!!! we just picked up a 1952-54 wally byam holiday, apparently a very rare trailer built as a project by wally in the 1950s. According to the girl I spoke with earlier at airstream, they only know of a handful that are left. My goal is to be tailgating in it by the 2016 season. War Eagle and happy camping C/O 2006
macatak60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Mobile , Alabama
Sweet!!! I looked up some pictures of the Holiday. Cool camper!!! We just got home from dropping the kids at AU band preseason camp. Now it's time for Airstream restorations to commence! See y'all at the tailgate parties!!!
WeagleWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:01 AM   #5

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

The cardinal AS Forum Rule.....

It hasn't happened until photo's are posted.

Sweet Streams

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
1964 26' Overlander
Opelika , Alabama
WDE from Opelika! Y'all can message us if you find yourselves in the area and need a place to park for a night or two. We don't have a whole lot else to offer in the way of amenities, but sometimes just a chunk of semi-level ground can be mighty hard to come by around here.

DeepSouth is offline   Reply With Quote