Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Briston , Norfolk
Vintage airstreams

Hi All,

Im a newbie looking for an airstream, and a better understanding of importing such a vehicle

Does anyone on this forum have any experience or knowledge of exporting airstreams?

I am a vintage 60's lantern roof British caravan owner, interested in acquiring a similar vintage period airstream.

But before I get too excited, I need to understand a little more about the costs involved. I know the real answer is " how long is a piece of string " but can I suggest the piece of string is middle sized fits in a 40' container and is dedicated freight.

I restore 19th Cent through to 1950's railway carriages for a living, so anything considered so long as it has a rolling chassis, ideally a solid chassis.

I have experience of importing and exporting, but do not personally hold a license. Not sure what your President has been up to of late, with regard to exporting/importing and the cost implications now or in the future.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards Martin
Martian Ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to these Airstream Forums. Always fun to meet folks from Europe. There are several who participate here.

I enjoy the vintage Airstream hobby. I had a 1966 Trade Wind 24' that I did extensive work to. I spent nearly $20k on the thing over three years. I'm now renovating a 75 Overlander 27'. I'll have $30k in that one. Photos below.

You sound like a very skilled craftsman. You would have no problems with a ratty Airstream. You would want one with a good body. The plywood subfloor and steel frame are very straight forward. I would think getting parts in Britain would be more of a challenge. Parts are available here, but you might have extra costs shipping them over. The string is getting longer.

The Airstream Classifieds in these Forums is pretty good with many vintage trailers for sale. This site also offers "inspection" services where a knowledgeable Airstream enthusiasts would inspect a potential trailer for you and give you a detailed report on the findings. The seller assists in this process.

Hope this gibberish helps you a wee bit.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Front Shade (Small).JPG
Views:	46
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	341070   Click image for larger version

Name:	1709 Colorado Springs Awnings (Small).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	341071  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Hot Springs , South Dakota
Mark Evans "The Airstream Guy" exports airstreams.
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Briston , Norfolk
Hi There David,

Many thanks not gibberish at all, very informative. In an ideal world I would like someone that is thinking of selling their 22' safari of 60's vintage all original or similar to contact me directly.... I live in hope. I think it is clear that the biggest problem is actually finding an original, yet to be restored example, barn find I think is the oft used term.

I do find that pricing is very much a personal affair, to some its taking up space in my yard, come and take it away.. others spend days researching and ask top dollar, eventually succumbing to some offer closest to the original asking price.

Do you know whether a typical US, private seller would consider selling to some Limey based in the UK? Its a lot of hassle. Ive exported several pieces of Victoriana to the US, simply because such items of interest are like rocking horse droppings, and don't exist anywhere in the US, so the demand is high. You do see from time to time private UK folk that have self imported units, and realised that, they have taken on more than they can chew, and then try and off load it for a profit, but fail, and end up losing money. Which of course is none to clever. But thats the nature of the beast.

Is the vintage scene in the US popular? its taking off big time in the UK.

Thanks again Martin
Martian Ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Vintage Airstreams are popular here in the states. Both the restoration or renovation work as well as the vintage rallies and caravans (tours) with them.

I recently sold a rare collector watch to a person in London. He had arranged the logistics for shipping to him. I got the watch to New York and that's all I had to do. Of course, exporting an Airstream camper is a bigger task. But the more you arrange for the seller, the more willing the seller will be.

Back in the 50s and 60s, Airstream arranged tours for owners all over the world. They successfully shipped the trailers to the starting point. So I know it can be done.

Here is a photo of last year's vintage Airstream rally in Colorado. There were about 50 units in attendance. It was great fun.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1808 Ouray Airstreams 2-800x600.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	341175   Click image for larger version

Name:	1808 Ouray Safari 1-800x600.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	341176  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote