Old 11-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
DearAbbyDVM

Bremen , Maine
Talking Veterinarian and New Mom Looking for Airstream

Well...here it goes. I have had a facination with Airstreams for a LONG time. I am currently in my visioning process, and I am looking for suggestions from members on which types of trailers would best be suited for a mobile clinic. Specific questions:
-should I be looking for a lenght, style, weight that seems to 'suit' me or just go for the one that 'feels' the best?
-I am not in the market for a new trailer, and in fact I wouldn't mind one with a few scratches & dents...do I focus my search in warm states with minimal snow fall (I think of salt damage in states I have lived in...)?
-Does anyone know of someone wanting to rent/lease trailers? I am at a stage in my life where it is either 'take the leap' or not...and...well...if there was a way to lessen the amount of cash I needed to fork out on the 'front side' I suspect it will be easier to follow my dream.

Thank you for taking the time to dream with me.
-Abby

Old 11-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Welcome. I like the idea. I'd have to say the mid-70's era. Plenty to choose from at prices not so extreme if you don't mind making some repairs.

I have a 1976 Sovereign, long at 31', but with its center bath, you could have an office in the "bedroom" past the bath, storage in the wardrobe opposite the bath and use the kitchen/living area as clinic.

Good luck with the hunt.

racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
If you are going to use it as a mobile clinic and camper; a Toy hauler as it could be both, but $$$$$. for something VERY basic to use as both maybe a Base camp or tha last would be something in the 30-34 foot and modify it. Check www.timelesstraveltrailers.com. They do modifications of this type and you might get an idea there This would be something you might do ao have done. Another would be Colin Hyde, he is in Plattsburg NY.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
It is not uncommon to see older Airstreams which have had the exterior fixed, and any floor problems repaired as well, then they are put up for sale with a gutted interior. That would provide a solid base to start from for not too many dollars and a blank slate for your mobile clinic.d An example is the 1962 Overlander listed in the classified section of this forum recently.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #5

2008 30' Classic
Olympia , Washington
It sounds like a great idea. I think if you consider your needs, and where you will be going, the size/model will sort itself out.

Are you practicing just small animals or also doing farm calls?

Will you be examing/treating the animals in the trailor or in the home/barn?

Do you have needs for doing surgery, lab, xray?

How much equipement do you need and how much does it weigh?

This will help determine your space needs and how much remodel might be needed. If signifigant remodel is needed, I am sure someone can direct you to a reputable business that can customize your trailor.

I would also consider where you are towing it. Will you have room to turn around? Are the roads muddy/snow? Also in Maine you will have to consider the temp.
There are good threads on winter camping and driving in the snow which will be of help. This could also impact the length of the trailer and your tow vehicle.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Abby,

To answer your question much more info is needed and larrynb has asked a lot of them. It appears you want it as a clinic and not to camp in yourself. Dual use would be possible, however with the longer ones. Modifications are always expensive and any older trailer will come with either things needing fixing, or if already fixed, you'll pay for the fixing by the previous owner.

If you plan to use it year 'round, you will spend a lot on heating it. These are not really good trailers for winter use as the insulation is not very good and the windows in most of them are single pane. They did try double pane some years ago, but had not perfected it and never tried again. There are trailers built for 4 season use—Arctic Fox is well known.

If your practice requires a lot of water, the fresh water and grey water holding tanks may not be large enough. They vary depending on size. You can hook up a fresh water hose to the city water connection, but the grey water tank fills quickly. Then you will have to find a place to dump water.

Winter travel with a trailer has downsides as well. Jackknifing can occur. You will probably need a 4wd tow vehicle, snow tires on all wheels of the trailer as well.

You can do anything with determination, lots of research and money. It's best to figure out the limits of a trailer, then when you figure out everything as logically as possible, and have narrowed it down as much as possible, maybe then feelings come in.

Gene
Old 11-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Airstream has a model named PanAmerica which is a 34' trailer/toy hauler. If I remember, you get a 23' trailer with an 11' garage area. I'm not sure they still make them but there should be some available at various dealers.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
DearAbbyDVM

Bremen , Maine
Thank you all very much for the tidbits. Here is some additional info for ya:

Are you practicing just small animals or also doing farm calls? small animals for now although I am open to doing farm calls with my tow vehicle (-) airstream...

Will you be examing/treating the animals in the trailor or in the home/barn? small animals in the trailor is my plan for now

Do you have needs for doing surgery, lab, xray? labwork will be sent out...no surgery or x-ray...I will need to outsource for that

How much equipement do you need and how much does it weigh?
minimal equipment needed - will be offering integrative services - standard vet care + acupuncture etc

I would also consider where you are towing it. Will you have room to turn around? Are the roads muddy/snow? Also in Maine you will have to consider the temp. I suspect this may have a major seasonal aspect to it. My vision would be to set up in certain areas each week & have the people/pets come to me.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DearAbbyDVM View Post
Well...here it goes. I have had a facination with Airstreams for a LONG time.
Thank you for taking the time to dream with me.
-Abby
Good luck on your quest. We, too have been fascinated with AS's forever, and understand your dream. Took the plunge several years ago but actually decided to buy an AS motorhome instead. A motorhome may not be the right option for you, but keep investigating. Study it long enough and it will come to you.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DearAbbyDVM View Post
[COLOR=#8b0000]

I would also consider where you are towing it. Will you have room to turn around? Are the roads muddy/snow? Also in Maine you will have to consider the temp. I suspect this may have a major seasonal aspect to it. My vision would be to set up in certain areas each week & have the people/pets come to me.
Abby, where will you be able to set up that has a water supply and a sewer? The older trailers have smaller tanks and the newer ones have tanks that probably will not be big enough for your use. I think you will have to install extra water storage and additional black and grey tanks if you don't have water and sewer. The other answer is a campground, but they may not want a commercial operation in their park. Most will be closed in the winter.

There have been dentists, nurse practitioners and others who have used vans to go to patients. Dentists use a lot of water to cool their drills and ultra sound cleaning instruments, so they may be the best people to talk to about how to deal with those issues. Smaller self propelled RV's have much larger tanks than Airstream trailers.

Your business model appears to be offering alternative care for pets. That may work. Most small towns have vets because there is business for pets and farm animals, so you have to offer something different. I think you will have to concentrate on upscale and college towns to find the clientele that will be open to alternative care.

Gene