Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Tofino , British Columbia
Oh, to kinda touch on your second question TouringDan...we just had to take the car to get a Provincial safety (since we bought it in Ontario and live in BC) and because we live in the boonies the closest town to do that is about a 250km round trip. Without the Bambi attached and driving through pretty steep grade mountains the gas gauge barely moved!
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
To chip in on the gas mileage, we tow with a minvan and when towing usually get about half of the normal non-towing gas figures. We can improve by being gentle and can lose out when the wind blows hard, as it has done this year!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Ferry Ride

Mojave,

If a guy wanted to visit your beautiful island, what might be the best way to get there? Using the Washington State Ferry system is very expen$ive.

Next summer we want to spend some time in B.C.

Dick
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Beauty will always cost you!

If you visit the island make it a least a week, or longer, to offset the cost of getting here. A month and you will only have started to explore the many POI's. If you like fishing/boating plan on staying all year.
49.181703,-123.95874 - Google Maps

Home | BC Ferries - British Columbia Ferry Services Inc.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Mojave,

If a guy wanted to visit your beautiful island, what might be the best way to get there? Using the Washington State Ferry system is very expen$ive.

Next summer we want to spend some time in B.C.

Dick
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
The wind was SUPER brutal on the drive home! We were very gentle on the gas pedal and used cruise control when possible and I think that helped a lot. I saw a mini-van towing an AS when we were at CanAm earlier this month. Was that you MrUKToad?

aftermath
- I have to agree with massyfarm and planning to stay for a while. It will feel like you're getting more for your money Plus there's lots to do and see once you get here but that unfortunate ferry cost sucks even if you're not towing. The other option is the BC Ferries. We've taken the US ferries and although a bit cheaper they start charging you on overall vehicle size at 18' and BC ferries is 20'. In the end I assume it would be about a few dollars difference.
A few tips however:
Off season is cheaper if you can swing it.
Mid-week sailing are also cheaper with BC Ferries.

For example, we took our Golf towing a 16' and paid $116 for a mid-week off season sailing from Tsawwassen (Vancouver) to Duke Point (Nanaimo).

Hope to see you out here soon. Be sure to give us a shout when you do!
Lisa & Paul
Old 10-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
Hey mutcth, it's a DSG...we're both typically manual drivers but automatic has definitely made more sense for towing. Yes, the folks at CanAm were great to us!

Hi TouringDan, we bought the car specifically to tow the airstream so we only have towing stats. We got about half the manufacturers numbers when towing.
Please look us up when you get out to BC!

Happy travels,
Lisa
Did CanAm have anything to say one way or the other about the DSG? I can see how a conventional automatic simplifies things when towing, with the torque converter to help get things rolling. I wonder if the extra mass is an issue for longevity of the DSG clutches, since the system probably isn't programmed to detect/compensate for doubling the mass it's dealing with.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Definitely a good point DKB_SATX. It's something we're gonna have to be mindful of in the maintenance of the TV. We just recently blew out the clutch on our X-Terra (not towing) so I'm hyper sensitive to the issue now (after it happening going up hill during rush hour with no shoulder and nearly getting smoked by an 18 wheeler and a few cars...one day I'll be able to drive that pass again without white knuckles). The term the mechanic used at Nissan was 'grenaded'.

We drove the TV over to CanAm so Andy could have a look at it and give us the go ahead before buying it and we got the thumbs up. We even had to look for a specific year because not all would have been ideal. They were pretty thorough and after the cross country trip and we're happy with the combo. Appreciate your thoughts, it's definitely something to think about.

Thanks
Lisa
Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
The wind was SUPER brutal on the drive home! We were very gentle on the gas pedal and used cruise control when possible and I think that helped a lot. I saw a mini-van towing an AS when we were at CanAm earlier this month. Was that you MrUKToad? [B]

Lisa & Paul
Probably not, Mojave, I think we were last there (with Airstream) in September and that was just a flying visit as we were passing by. Andy has a lot of minivan customers so you can see them quite frequently up there.

I was really excited to see another forum member using a smaller tow vehicle; we are very much in the minority and thought of (by some) as dangerous lunatics who have been ripped off by nasty Andy Thompson in his quest to sell trailers. You and I both know the real story and Andy will not let you off his dealership if he doesn't think the set up he's sold you will work.

Anyway, I'm constantly beating the drum for the smaller tow vehicle and it's good to see another Airstream/car combination out there.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Mojave,

Forgot to say that like so many Ontarians, a trip out west, with Airstream, is on the cards for us but maybe not for a couple of years. I think we'd like to do it sans enfants and they're a bit young to leave on their own at the moment.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Probably not, Mojave, I think we were last there (with Airstream) in September and that was just a flying visit as we were passing by. Andy has a lot of minivan customers so you can see them quite frequently up there.

I was really excited to see another forum member using a smaller tow vehicle; we are very much in the minority and thought of (by some) as dangerous lunatics who have been ripped off by nasty Andy Thompson in his quest to sell trailers. You and I both know the real story and Andy will not let you off his dealership if he doesn't think the set up he's sold you will work.

Anyway, I'm constantly beating the drum for the smaller tow vehicle and it's good to see another Airstream/car combination out there.
I couldn't agree more. Dealing with Andy and the rest of the team was a great experience. Anyone who knows Andy knows what a great guy he is. He really went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable and happy with our choice. Seriously, above and beyond for customer service and like someone on this forum said, I don't think you could find a single unhappy CanAm customer and they've been in business for 40 years!

We'll be out that way again in the spring for Alumapalooza and we'll be stopping by London to have our 'first year on the road' inspection. Hope to see you if you're in the area if not, look us up when you get to BC!

Lisa & Paul
Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Hey Fly at Night, I've hung out at Green Point in Pacific Rim National Park (seasonal) and that was pretty sweet, and have tented at MacKenzie Beach Resort (open all year). This was pre-RV so I didn't take into consideration things I would now when looking for RV friendly spots. Both I'm sure would be fine but book REALLY far in advance if you are visiting during the summer months. People book sometimes a year ahead. There are some spots at MacKenzie that are RIGHT at the water too so try for those first would be my suggestion. Let us know when you plan to be here so we can say hello!
Thanks so much. I knew LB was popular....but it's really boomed.
Was there in the1980s.

Thanks for the invite; hope to hook-up someday!