Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
uneasy airstreamer

Hello from the great white north.
We bought a new 25' front bedroom Safari special edition in 2006. We used it four times for two nights each, not too far from home. Our beautiful trailer had leaking in the upper pantry cupboard on our second trip, so they tightened things down up top and did a bit of calking. On our third trip we had leaking in the bedroom which resulted in a wet carpet and, believe it or not, water under the mattress, which I noticed because the sheets were wet. We were told that the stone guards had been riveted using the wrong rivets, so they fixed the stone guards. On the fourth trip, we noticed rippling in our flooring in the kitchen in two lines across the width of the trailer. The trailer was "gutted" , the seams in the plywood flooring smoothed and the flooring replaced. We went to pick up our trailer and upon inspection, found a puddle of water on the kitchen counter. The skylight was leaking. We returned to pick up the trailer a day later and took it to storage. It rained heavily that night, so we went to check out the trailer to make sure all was well. The carpet in the front bedroom was wet. We took the trailer back to the dealer and they gutted the front bedroom. They removed the skin from the inside front of the trailer and found that the insulation was wet. They removed the carpet and saw that the plywood was wet. They fixed the leaking and put in new carpeting.
So...you can understand why I call myself an uneasy airstreamer.
What next???
Annemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Oh my - I'm so sorry that your first post with us (by the way, welcome!) has to be under such troubling circumstances. This has to be tremendously frustrating and I can't blame you a bit for being uneasy. Have you contacted Jackson Center directly on this?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Welcome to the forum.

WHat Mel said. Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Not to add to your misery, but there are a couple threads here that describe new model year "issues". Search around and you'll find them, they are titled something like "2006 (or 2005 or 2007) Model Quality. SOrry I can't remmeber it exactly. Those threads might give you some idea what others have faced and how they dealt with the problems.

Jim

On Edit: Here's the link I was thinking of: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-16147.html

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Wow, if I was in your shoes, I'd be something more than uneasy!

One must wonder how your unit was able to pass the water test they supposedly put every trailer through at Jackson Center before they leave the plant. Maybe the sun was shining that day?

John
Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I would check out your Province's Lemon Laws, if Canada has any. Here in the US, you usually have the right to demand that the manufacturer buy your vehicle (trailer?) back after sufficient attempts (usually 3x) have failed to remedy the problem.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Blandford , Massachusetts
similar story

Some friends of ours from Chatam, Ma. were with us at Airstream Paradise Park in Fla. two weeks ago. They had traded their 2006 30' Safari w/slider in for a 28' 2007 Safari. They had problems with the slider leaking on the 2006. Then they had water coming in the overhead light fixtures on the 2007. Their dealer said the wrong gasket was used for the air conditioner at the factory. Don't know if this might help, but worth having the dealer check it.

Best of luck,
Old 05-01-2007, 03:47 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Dang, I've been wanting a 25FB since I saw one at the dealership a few weeks ago, but now I think maybe I'll stick with my vintage. At least I know where the leaks in it are!

Welcome to the forums!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Stephanie, Yes. Your Caravel is adorable. And I am sure even with all the repairs it is much more reasonable. The prices of the 25 ft are steep.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Take them to small claims court. There quality is horrible. I'm in manufacturing myself, and truthfully they need an eye opening because they are not getting it. I'm in the process of a lemon law case myself here in California.
I'm not a big fan of law suits but here it's appropriate.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
That number of leaks is cause for more than concern.Whenever you remove something , taking screws out and then reinstalling them in the same holes, depending on the material it can weaken that connection. Water leaking in a laminate cabinet is going to cause damage. I would check very carefully any place water has had any chance of pooling or setting.I would be seriously upset and if the leaks continue I would be looking a a replacement.What's the quality of the repairs being done??
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Here is what our state (Florida) says about "lemons":

681.104 Nonconformity of motor vehicles.
(1)
(a) After three attempts have been made to repair the same nonconformity, the consumer shall give written notification, by registered or express mail to the manufacturer, of the need to repair the nonconformity to allow the manufacturer a final attempt to cure the nonconformity. The manufacturer shall have 10 days, commencing upon receipt of such notification, to respond and give the consumer the opportunity to have the motor vehicle repaired at a reasonably accessible repair facility within a reasonable time after the consumer's receipt of the response. The manufacturer shall have 10 days, except in the case of a recreational vehicle, in which event the manufacturer shall have 45 days, commencing upon the delivery of the motor vehicle to the designated repair facility by the consumer, to conform the motor vehicle to the warranty. If the manufacturer fails to respond to the consumer and give the consumer the opportunity to have the motor vehicle repaired at a reasonably accessible repair facility or perform the repairs within the time periods prescribed in this subsection, the requirement that the manufacturer be given a final attempt to cure the nonconformity does not apply.
(b) If the motor vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of one or more nonconformities by the manufacturer or its authorized service agent for a cumulative total of 15 or more days, exclusive of downtime for routine maintenance prescribed by the owner's manual, the consumer shall so notify the manufacturer in writing by registered or express mail to give the manufacturer or its authorized service agent an opportunity to inspect or repair the vehicle.
(2)
(a) If the manufacturer, or its authorized service agent, cannot conform the motor vehicle to the warranty by repairing or correcting any nonconformity after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer, within 40 days, shall repurchase the motor vehicle and refund the full purchase price to the consumer, less a reasonable offset for use, or, in consideration of its receipt of payment from the consumer of a reasonable offset for use, replace the motor vehicle with a replacement motor vehicle acceptable to the consumer. The refund or replacement must include all reasonably incurred collateral and incidental charges. However, the consumer has an unconditional right to choose a refund rather than a replacement motor vehicle. Upon receipt of such refund or replacement, the consumer, lien holder, or lessor shall furnish to the manufacturer clear title to and possession of the motor vehicle.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Loopholes, gotta love those loopholes ~

I'll bet, the key words there are "motor vehicle" an Airstream travel trailer is not a motor vehicle....this would apply to a motorhome, but not a travel trailer.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I'll bet, the key words there are "motor vehicle" an Airstream travel trailer is not a motor vehicle....this would apply to a motorhome, but not a travel trailer.

Shari
Actually, Forida law specifies a travel trailer as an RV, and as such it is subject to the same lemon laws.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #14
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Uneasy Airstreamer

If you want too see Airstreame customer care, go too 2006 SE forums and look at And the fun never stops.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

yep Terry, Maryland too, a AS is a RV up here as well....
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Colorado Springs , CO
..this is just sad to hear from so many folks who buy the newer airstreams. How would you have any idea about these problems before buying one if you didn't look in the forums. Now, before I buy anything, I search the internet for reviews and problems and have been shocked to find what I thought would be a great product (Ronco Pocket Fisherman, Mr. Juicer ,etc) really isn't that great. One assumes that as time went on, the product would get better, not worse.
I just wanted to offer my support to Uneasy.

By the way, it poured today and I am positive I have less water leaks in my '62 than you've had so far in your '06.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shell up.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	36656  
Old 05-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
So Sorry!

I have a 2006 FB SE, and haven't had ANY of the problems you've had. I suggest an IMMEDIATE call to Jackson Center!

If you bought this new, there's no way you should be having this much trouble. It sounds more like you got a unit with a salvage title that had a bad cosmetic repair done on it.

I have a nasty feeling your unit might have been in a wreck or have been put through some extreme maneuvers in a "near wreck" while it was on the road being delivered to the dealership. It sounds like the whole unit had to have been torqued to create that many leaks in the seams AND have those floor problems. Crawl under it and look at it from the top, looking for stretched rivet holes. See if there's any evidence that it might have been bottomed out by going through an extreme dip, or if there are any evidence of side to side torquing from a whiplash or jacknife incident.

I agree, your experience is EXTREME. I'd insist that your unit be taken back to Jackson Center and be completely rebuilt, water tested and leak tested from the inside with "pressurized smoke"... or outright replaced.

Paula Ford
Old 05-05-2007, 05:15 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
thanks for your input

Well, we did contact Jackson and they guided our dealer through all the repairs. RV Canada is new to Airstreams as well, just started selling them over a year ago, so they are learning about how to repair them as they go along. Apparently ours is not the only unit they have had trouble with and they have only sold about six so far. They have had a rep from Jackson come down more than once to look at trailer troubles.
Everything has been covered cost wise with the warranty...but what a dissapointment it has been. My husband wants to give it another chance so we are going to take it out and see what happens. This summer may be a new beginning for our Airstream or the end of the line...stay tuned.
Annemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hmmm. How thoroughly was it inspected by customs when it came over the border? It's just barely within the realm of possibility that it had some things taken apart and "inspected" when it came across the border, that shouldn't have been messed with. RVs are suspect for drug transport, and may have been subject to a search. Just an idea.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Try Jackson Center

Annemac,

We had leaks in our 2006 Safari 25FB/SE. Skylight leaking-yes, front center window next to the night stand leaking-yes. Both were fixed at Jackson Center. Although we are in California, we felt that the factory service center is more likely to fix it right the first time. Make it a trip, the folks there are nice people and work hard to keep you as a satisfied customer.

John