Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2007, 01:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 684 International
Sherborne , Dorset
UK Airstreamer

Hello all,

I had no idea that there were so many Airstream owners! What a great find! I shall be spending a lot of time browsing through all the posts here.

We're going to pick up a new European International 684 just before Christmas and head off into the sunset for a year or two. How excited are we? We've quit our jobs and sold our house so there's nothing stopping us...

Having said that, we've never towed anything before, and never camped in anything bigger than a VW Kombi. What could possibly go wrong?

As far as I know (and I'd be delighted to be wrong) we're the first Airstream full-timers in the UK. The whole "life-on-the-road" thing seems to be much more common in North America than it is over here. It tends to be a bit frowned on. On the other hand, we've never had a negative response when we've told people what we're doing.

Anyway, I have to go - I'm being picked up by Michael Hold (the Sales Director of Airstream Europe) to go and have a look at a 684 in the Lake District, surrounded by snow covered mountains.

It's a terrible life...
Bully Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:36 AM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
SO where do you plan to travel? All of Europe or just the UK? Please post some pictures of your new toy after you pick it up. I'd like to see what the European models look like.

Enjoy!

JIm

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Wow, that is so cool! I am remembering narrow streets and not much open land from my time in Germany-Netherlands-France as a kid--it's hard to imagine how this will work out. I'm sure we'd all love to see a long thread with many photos. Traveling across the Union is so much easier now, and the old eastern block countries are members, too.

So, quit your job and sold your house. How long can you live on your stored fat? And what will you come back to in a couple of years?

There is another post around here somewhere of a UK couple who are coming to the states to buy a vintage Airstream, fix it up, and full time here, doing things like camp host.

Zep
Old 12-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
the lake district is a stunning place. do you have any idea where you will park / camp / go full time?

my parents did the whisky tour up in scotland in their moho last summer, looked like they had great weather and some nice places to stay but they're not full timers. they get a ton of camping material covering all of europe.

would love to take my airstream and full time back home, but my life is here stateside for the moment.

keep us posted on with your travels and findings
elbundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:28 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Leyland , Lancashire
Every Adventure Begins With The First Step...

Hi Bully Boy

We all wish you the very best of times in your new Airstream International 684. And eagerly await your travel blog and all important photos as you tour Europe in your silver dream machine.

Stuart Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
UK Full-Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully Boy
Hello all,

I had no idea that there were so many Airstream owners! What a great find! I shall be spending a lot of time browsing through all the posts here.

We're going to pick up a new European International 684 just before Christmas and head off into the sunset for a year or two. How excited are we? We've quit our jobs and sold our house so there's nothing stopping us...

Having said that, we've never towed anything before, and never camped in anything bigger than a VW Kombi. What could possibly go wrong?

As far as I know (and I'd be delighted to be wrong) we're the first Airstream full-timers in the UK. The whole "life-on-the-road" thing seems to be much more common in North America than it is over here. It tends to be a bit frowned on. On the other hand, we've never had a negative response when we've told people what we're doing.

Anyway, I have to go - I'm being picked up by Michael Hold (the Sales Director of Airstream Europe) to go and have a look at a 684 in the Lake District, surrounded by snow covered mountains.

It's a terrible life...
Hi Bully Boy!

very pleased to say I have been living in my Sovereign since December of 2006!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Moonstruck1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	50727

It's a great life! I'm green with envy at the ever-changing vistas that await you as you eat breakfast! Lol!

Have a great trip!

Marc