Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Pensacola , Florida
UHOH! I warned her about looking at Airstream.

Hi, I'm from Northwest Florida, retired and waiting for my wife to do the same in a couple of years. We have owned for a few months a mh with a slide and wondered if that was what we really wanted. After the slide refused to close at the end of a campout, we decided to look at other options to put it lightly.
Long story short, looking at our lifestyle and rv options brought us down to trailers. Then a computer search and a dealer search and a drive to Mississippi to the nearest dealer. Oh my. It is now useless to look at anything else. For us it is a 25FB Flying Cloud with twin beds. No more looking, just building up the nerve to spend the money. I have already found a very low mileage 2011 Suburban 1500 with a big v8 as a tow vehicle.
After popup years and 6 tent years with the boy scouts, I am ready for a Airstream!
Wonder Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
PERFECT! Great choice. I have the queen, and making that sideways bed is a pain. The twins give you better access to underbed storage - and of course don't prevent conjugal visits at all.

ENJOY!

Paula
Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

My husband and I had a laugh about your post. We were the same way - once we saw an Airstream that was it! My husband was sitting in one with his eyes glazed over and I said " we're getting one aren't we?" and he said yes . We couldn't look at any other trailers in the same way after seeing the airstream. Have fun. Maybe we'll see you at a rally - the Canopener in January isn't too far from you.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
LOL! You have caught aluminitis!!! The only cure is to spend lots of time camping in your own airstream! It's a pretty fun cure!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Welcome to our world. There is always the Betty Ford Center for Silver Abuse, or if that doesn't work this forum can help. The best thing is to never look inside an Airstream, because once you look there is no taking back. As former backpack, tent and SOB campers, we feel your pain.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I hope that suburban has the heavy duty tow package, otherwise I think the tow rating is only 5000lbs.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Go for it. The only thing that brings us home is work (continue to upgrade out 72 International) and every weekend we are Airstreaming we say we need to retire. You are on the other side of the coin that many Airstream owners will be at eventually retiring soon, so make the commitment and go have fun. Well deserved.

I think the 25 FC weigh 5600# with a max load of 7300#, a 2011 Suburban 5.3 with 373 gears should tow that pretty effortlessly, but ensure that it can. You will go through more TV's than the Airstream as we are on our 5th TV, with the majority being traded out due to high mileage of Airstreaming.

Have fun.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
My wife & I had an SOB and loved it -until we discovered our Airstream. Once we looked at it we couldn't stand our TT. We have been working on it for almost 2 years and can't imagine owning any other brand.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
charlotte , North Carolina
Great pick. Hope you have a great time. Just think you want have to spend 3days waxing.enjoy
johndfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Pensacola , Florida
Thanks for the great replies all. I see already this is a great group to join.
I'm going to do further checking on a tow vehicle to be sure and play by the rule more is better.
Can't wait to get my shiny trailer.
See ya on the forums and maybe on the road later.

Dennis
Wonder Dog is offline   Reply With Quote