Old 01-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Currently Looking...
Edmonton , Alberta
Trying to become one of the family.

With a new addition to our family we would like to keep our outdoor life active. We agreed that a travel trailer will be best suited for the little one, especially when she figures out how to use those legs.That's where the Airstream comes to play. I just don't know which one best suits us, granted the all mighty dollar comes to play as well. I found a '73 International Land Yacht 31', took a look at it and fell in love. One issue. Too heavy for our truck. (If anyone is interested in this trailer I can pass info and pictures on.)

I kept looking and found one across the country that I like, '74 Argosy 24'. Only issue it's 3500km away. Bit of a dilemma.

I'm still in the process of figuring out the cost of the trip and or shipping to see if I can procure this trailer.

Thanks for the wicket site.

Woody_Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome to the forums Woody_Long, You have asked a tough question.

What do you have for a tow vehicle?

How many are in your family?

Do you want a fixer upper or an Airstream thats good to go?

I know it's answering a question with a question...

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hey there, Woody, welcome to!

It's a funny thing this aluminitus, isn't it? I mean, you can buy a stick 'n tin trailer for a third of the price of an Airstream, but it's just not the same thing, is it?

Originally Posted by Woody_Long View Post
I found a '73 International Land Yacht 31', took a look at it and fell in love. One issue. Too heavy for our truck. (If anyone is interested in this trailer I can pass info and pictures on.)
Say, what makes you think you can't tow a '73 Sov with that Dodge V8? I put over 6,500 kms on mine this past fall, from Aurora, ON to Florida and back, no problem. Oh, and I pull my 31 foot '74 Sov with a Ford Freestar 4.2l V6.

I thought you were going to say you changed your mind on it due to the lack of a grey tank.

Anyways, if it was destined for you, you would have gotten it, I guess. Take your time looking around, and I think you are going to find it tough, due to your location.

But if you see one you like, you'll find that there are a lot of forum members willing to go and have a look at a trailer for you, and give you their opinion. There's a list of them on here somewhere.

Most of all, don't be afraid to ask questions. There a ton of experience on here, just waiting for you to ask, plus take your time and read the long threads on other members' experiences, you'll find it fascinating information.
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Hang in there and the right one will turn up. You've got a few years before your kdi becomes too cool for camping which is sometime between puberty and "legal" drinking age. In the mean time visit a few Airstream rallies. Streamers love to show off their aluminum.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
Hi Woody
There is a 77 Argosy 20Ft in Langley, on sale right now for $8995.00.
I assume this is better for your truck and at least much closer. (10 hour drive)

If anyone else is interested, there is an old 30 ft Spartan for $4500.00 on Vancouver Craigslist as well. I love my Airstream, but Spartans are pretty cool as well.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Currently Looking...
Edmonton , Alberta
I'm going to try and answer all questions in this post. There are currently 3 in our family, we will be sharing the trailer with another family of 3 so having some space would be nice but if it's not in the cards for a big trailer the boys will be tenting next to the trailer.

I think right now I'm looking for a trailer that can go, some minor issues I can handle, granted frame repair is minor to me. I have 3 vehicle rebuilds under my belt (1 mine, 1 for friend and 1 for a old boss) 2 more are in my sights.

My tow vehicle is a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4, it has the tow package (3.91) gears. The GVRW on the door plate states 6680lbs. The 73 International has 7100lbs on the ID plate, I know it's about 4600~5000lbs dry. Kinda want to stay within 80% of my tow capacity.

I want my family to experience North American and Canada as I did, we didn't trailer around but we drover everywhere. Been up past Skagway Alaska and as far south as somewhere in Florida. I love to travel and want to do it in style.

I should also state I want a trailer I can tow with my first car, 1961 Pontiac Parissianne, 283 V8 don't know the tow capacity but I'll look for it. Another thing is I'll be doing lots of local travel in the Canadian Rockies might want something lighish but I think you guys and gals might sway my opinion.

I may have a lead on a guy in town that buys and restores Airstreams, might have to trade services for a deal. We'll see what happens when my buddy gets a hold of him.

Woody_Long is offline   Reply With Quote