Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2016 20' Flying Cloud
Lewisville , North Carolina
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We bought our first Airstream while I was in the UK. It was a 2013 25FB International Serenity with a queen bed across the frame. It was purchased sight unseen by looking at the 2013 Airstream Catalog floor plans and we had never even been in an Airstream let alone a RV.

Let's say, at best, that was a very poor way to acquire an Airstream. After the first two trips, I was very aware of my poor purchase decision in terms of that specific floor plan for us. Besides, my wife made comments on a daily basis on this choice.

We saw a used 34' Classic and loved the solid Hickory cabinets, but the length was daunting and the Gross Vehicle Weight of 11,500 pounds would push the towing limits of our new truck. Last May we ordered a 27FB Classic with twin beds for production in January 2014. The conversation continued about our likes and dislikes since the back 15' of the 25FB and 27FB have the same measurements and layout. So we changed the order and customized the floor linoleum choice and the back splash in the bathroom.

Our 2014 Classic model 30 is still sitting outside at the factory awaiting some minor standard parts. It is now over 30 days since it started down the production line on 20mDecember 2013.

I strongly suggest getting to a dealer and spending perhaps an hour or so in the models you really like:

sitting normally
sitting visualizing watching TV - straight ahead viewing or neck turned
sitting on the closed lid of the toilet to determine knee room and elbow room
visualize lying on the bed and sitting up - head clearance from cabinets
ease of access to all sides of the bed
ease of access to the overhead roof locker storage front and rear

Just some ideas to keep in mind.

Good luck and welcome to this forum which is a virtual fountain of knowledge.
Great info. We have not spent much time in the one we are considering. We will definitely do that.

SteveTam9310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2016 20' Flying Cloud
Lewisville , North Carolina
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
Hi neighbor!

Welcome to the Forums. We live in nearby Pfafftown.

We purchased our "lightly used" 2008 27FB Safari in 2011. Even though we had it inspected by a dealer pre purchase, it did have the dreaded floor rot. We had the floor rot repaired at the factory in Jackson Center. They did a great job with the replacement of the floor and resealed all of the seams. We now store our trailer inside a warehouse while not in use which helps prevent leaks. The other key thing is to keep checking the seams and seals on the exterior and apply new sealant or gaskets at the first sign of cracking or wear. Some Airstreamers replace the cheap factory skylight with the hurricane resistant heavy duty skylights by Maxim (Link: Maxim Airstream Skylight) as the OEM skylights tend to crack and leak.

With respect to Caravans we have yet to experience one but know a number of Airstreamers who have been. It seems the chief advantages are:
1) The camping reservations are taken care of which can be an issue in some popular areas in season.
2) The caravans stop at many obscure and fascinating places the average person would likely not discover on their own.
3) The camaraderie of traveling with a group and sharing experiences
4) Safety. If you break down there are traveling companions who can help you.
5) Typically the fee includes admissions to attractions and campgrounds. Some include group meals. It depends on how the leader organizes the trip. For the WBCCI caravans it is best to email the leader for more detailed information or answers to specific questions. I'm sure the companies organizing the commercial caravans will answer specific questions as well.

Everyone I've spoken to who participated in a WBCCI caravan loved the experience.

There is an Airstream only RV park only two hours north of you between Roanoke and Floyd Virginia. It is a wonderful place to spend a few days or few weeks. Here is a link to the website of Virginia Highland Haven Airstream: Virginia Highland Haven Airstream Park

If you can do come down to the Alumalina rally at Lake Wateree in March. It will give you an opportunity to meet a number of Airstreamers as well as see a number of different trailers.

There are four WBCCI chapters in North Carolina in the event you wish to join the organization, with two located in the piedmont (Carolinas Unit and Piedmont, NC). An interesting new WBCCI option is the Southeastern Camping Unit which draws its membership from across the southeastern US and plans camping events throughout the region. Here is a link to the Region 3 page listing the units and providing links to the individual unit websites: Region 3 WBCCI Units

Please feel free to PM me with questions. We'll be glad to help in any way.
Wow, Thanks! After sitting here and reading all of the great info to my husband we decided we are definitely coming to the event in march. You all are a wonderful group of people!

SteveTam9310 is offline   Reply With Quote