Old 10-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMILLER
We Are Considering Buying A 19 Ft. Trailer. Does Anyone Know If A Hybrid HIGHLANDER 6Cyl. Is Capable Of Pulling This Trailer?
If you didn't notice (the original post has since been edited-see above-and maybe because of a typo...it first said 8 CYL Highlander!) I was pretty sure there was no such vehicle.
Having clarified that, I could not recommend towing any TT with this vehicle. I am pretty sure you cannot use a WD hitch on a unibody anyway...(check with the Mfr.). There are plenty of folks on this forum, that have had white knuckle experiences, and this sounds like a recipe for one. If the poster is in search of an AS and a new TV, it would be a disservice to him/her to promote this setup. If they already own this TV, well that is their chance to take. Please post and let the rest of us know your intinerary for your first trip. I will be sure not to be on the same road...

Old 10-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I usually don't reply to this type of thread since I have vintage tow vehicles and vintage trailers and "don't have a dog in this fight". However, in looking at Kelly Blue Book the tow capacity for the Highlander Hybrid is 3500 lbs and the GVW of the 19' Bambi on the Airstream site is 4500 lbs, so isn't the simple answer - no?

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
and one last comment on your post these aren't questions about midsize suvs...

these are questions about COMPACT CAR based suvs.

much smaller and better riding and way less capable of towing than even midsized suvs....

the highlander and lexus are camrys... i sure don't think many people here are towing with a camry!

cheers
2air'

2 air's comments are dead on....IMO part of the marketing problem with Airstream is that damn guy riding the bicycle towing an Airstream. It's cute but the reality is it does not translate into modern day equipment. (I'm being sarcastic....some what) Highway conditions and speeds in the late 50's are not the same as today. So owning a brand new Airstream and a brand new car like suv is something one should look twice at before jumping in with both feet. The second problem is new cars today have incredibly powerful engines which again IMO artificially make the towing power numbers more than what is real. When manufacturers rate tow capacity it is based upon engine performance and weight. The one element overlooked is wheelbase. You won't hear a dealer or salesmen or literature talk about how long of trailer you should be towing with that tiny SUV/Camry chassis... At the end of the day it's a short wheelbase vehicle and wind, semi-trucks, hills and sway will be the first problem noticed or if you are unlucky your last problem . The monstrous horse power that these little engine crank out does not necessarily make it a truly safe tow vehicle.
So as I have posted previously..... Here we go again....explore the attached link...
http://www.rvtowingtips.com/index.html
It ain't the bible of towing, it is not my opinion, however it is unbiased and it's hard to refute.
I've said it before so it is worth saying one more time if you are going to drop $35K+ on a new vehicle consider what and where you intend to travel. It can make the travel experience one that makes or breaks the goal....SEE MORE.. DO MORE.. LIVE MORE. The easier the trip the more likely you'll hitch up and get out.
Do the right thing search the forums read others experiences spend your hard earned cash on the right vehicle the first time..
Happy Streamin'
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:51 PM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Very well put AZstreamin. A unibody compact car in an SUV costume does not a tow vehicle make. All such a combination is good for is a photo shoot in the driveway. It might look cool, but it is not road-worthy.

The shame of all this is that after one grueling white knuckle trip, another perfectly good Airstream is relagated to a piece of yard art.

I am writing this in a campground in North Carolina on my way to a trade show in Connecticut. My combo of a 2500 Suburban and 25' Safari may not be trendy or look super cool, but it performs beautifully, and well within my comfort zone. I did 600+ miles today at 70 MPH, and I am relaxing this evening. I will do the same tomorrow. I use the heck out of my Airstream only because I am very comfortable towing it.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up yes..yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Very well put AZstreamin. A unibody compact car in an SUV costume does not a tow vehicle make. All such a combination is good for is a photo shoot in the driveway. It might look cool, but it is not road-worthy.

The shame of all this is that after one grueling white knuckle trip, another perfectly good Airstream is relagated to a piece of yard art.

I am writing this in a campground in North Carolina on my way to a trade show in Connecticut. My combo of a 2500 Suburban and 25' Safari may not be trendy or look super cool, but it performs beautifully, and well within my comfort zone. I did 600+ miles today at 70 MPH, and I am relaxing this evening. I will do the same tomorrow. I use the heck out of my Airstream only because I am very comfortable towing it.
AMEN BRO~
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You know I have said many times, not necessarily on this forum, the biggest disservice the Detroit marketing folks have done to the U.S. consumer is to coin the phrase "SUV". If it's a full-sized or even a mid-sized "SUV" it may have utility, but it is not a sports vehicle. And people see the word "sports" in the description and they try to drive it like its a Porsche and that's probably the biggest contributer to SUV rollover.

Case in point: 60 Minutes did a story on the Explorer tire issue several years back and the feature story involved a man who had a blow-out and rolled his Explorer and his brother was killed. There were five adults and an enfant in a car seat and the only passenger that didn't get any serious injuries was the enfant and all he got was a scratch on his forehead and he was strapped into a child's car seat. The brother that died was riding behind the back seat in the cargo area. None of the other passengers were wearing seat belts and the next most serious injury was a broken arm. Oh, and the driver was traveling in excess of 80 miles an hour when he had the blow-out. And, he blamed Ford and the tires! Let's recap, 25 miles over the speed limit, no one wearing seat belts, passenger in the cargo area...and he told the interviewer that he felt NO responsibility.

Now the compact SUV's and crossover SUV's...lets face it folks at best they are sudo-SUV's and in reality they are imitation SUV's that are little more than station wagons with all-wheel drive.

If it doesn't have a body-on-frame construction it shouldn't be called a utility vehicle and it shouldn't be considered as a tow vehicle!

Ok Tom, step down off of the soap box now.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
MinniesMate: Mind if I climb on that soap box with you. I have related several times on these forums the experiences my ex-husband and I had towing an 18 ft Layton with a Ford Bronco. There was at least one white knuckle experience almost everytime we went out. And, for all its horsepower, the Bronco just couldn't get that Layton up the hills. The thing is...we thought that was a normal towing experience.

Now I've got my dream Airstream that I stalked for years and towing it with my boyfriend's Dodge 2500 Cummins...well, there is absolutely no comparison. Sway? What sway? The terrifying sucking sensation of big trucks? What, did one just pass? The AS tows like it is not even there. We even went thru some heavy mud on our way to a State park in Utah. (Not much you can do when there's a giant mud pit at the bottom of a hill) Airylle followed right along. No slipping. No fishtailing.

You know there's an old saying about how you can't be too rich or too skinny. I'll add "you can't have too much torgue".

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:56 AM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
MinniesMate: Mind if I climb on that soap box with you.
Climb right aboard. There's plenty of room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
...I'll add "you can't have too much torgue".
I'll take your word on that one.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote