driving cross country?????????????/

love some help
lynn mcmullen

lynnmcmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
I really like the 3/4 ton Chevy Silverado with the 6.6L Duramax diesel. 19-22 mpg in town, 14-15 towing.

As my Navy SEAL brother-in-law said when I bought the Airstream "Your life is about to get miserable if you buy the wrong truck." He recommended the Chevy with 4-wheel drive, and it is outstanding.

You can get a great used one for under $20K.

Good Luck---(and expect plenty of differing opinions here!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luanne at Oak Mountain.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	109390  

'94 Excella 1000; '03 Silverado 2500HD
Louisville, Tennessee
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
1994 28' Excella
1973 23' Safari
lubbock , Texas
sounds like a great plan after retirement, would be alot of fun with no place to be and alot of places to go! hope to get there someday myself.
as far as a tow vehicle, overkill is always better. never know when that deer,cow, ,strong gust of wind , or just that idiot might pull ouy in front of you and its good to have a vehicle stout enough to handle the situation. its very important also to have a qualified service center properly set up your leveload hitch WITH SWAY CONTROL device added. i run 2 friction sway controls on my leveload set-up. in a split second all could change without warning and you would want to have as much control at that time as possible. --as for my tow vehicle for my '94 28' -----ford f350 4wd powerstroke..................oh well at least i take my own advice!!!!!!!--brady
ps-i dont have my regular head and leveload bars hooked up in that pic for all the experts who notice the ft end is low
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00419.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	480.5 KB
ID:	109488  
brady806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Towing my new '70 Sovereign

Greetings Lynn!

My suggestion would be a Chevrolet/GMC Suburban/Yukon XL with the 6.0 Liter and 4.10 gears. In addition, I would suggest staying with a two-wheel-drive model with locking rear differential. During the past 15 years, I have had two GM products with four-wheel-drive and my current will be the last - - - it just is not worth the cost in upkeep (my current Suburban needs an electronic control board every 15,000 miles at a minimum cost of $750, and now it needs a rebuilt transfer case at a cost of nearly $2,000 at 200,000 miles).

The Suburban provides all of the comfort and convenience of the family stationwagon in the only form that can be found today with the capability to tow almost any Airstream trailer built. I find that I can carry everything that I need for Airstreaming behind the third seat, and it take very minimal preparation to be able to carry seven passengers in comfort. Unlike the pickup, it is a rare day when I can't reach something in the cargo area either from the rear liftgate or from the third seat - - one of the reasons that I disliked my pickup was the continual crawling into the bed to retrieve objects that had shifted to the front completely out of reach.

Good luck with your investigation!

The setup doesn't appear to be level because the site was actually on a slight slope and the tongue jack had been lowered to bring the coach into level for a one-night in-transit stop.
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote