Old 01-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #1

Green Bay , Wisconsin
Towing Concerns

I am not very technical. I've met Andy at Can-Am, and from meeting him and everything I've read, he seems very trustworthy.

I bought a 2012 AS Int'l Signature 27 ft last August. It has a Pro-Pride WD hitch and weighs 7,600 pounds before the Solar Panels, Temper-Pedic mattress, or any personal items are loaded. I'm towing it with my 2011 Honda Ridgeline that has a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. I've had the hitch reinforced and installed a brake controller.

Everything has been fine, but I'm worried that when something unexpected happens, my Ridgeline isn't going to be "big enough" to control my baby behind it. I feel like I may be "dangerous" to those around me.

It's time for a new timing belt and new tires on the Ridgeline. I'm wondering if I should sell it and get a quarter ton pickup. Am I an idiot? The pics I've taken make me feel like my little truck is inadequate. Fire away!!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
CanAm has a good reputation. Sound upgrades can safely increase a vehicle's towing capacity.

If you are towing with it now and it has a good WD and anti-sway, what exactly are you concerned could happen?

Don't worry. Enjoy. Have fun with the Airstream and after 10,000 miles you will know without a doubt if you want more vehicle, or not.

Broadway, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
At the end of the day, you will have to decide what you're comfortable with - nobody can make that decision for you. If keeping your Ridgeline means that you won't enjoy your trailer because towing makes you nervous then maybe you should change it for a vehicle that makes you feel better.

In my opinion you needn't worry, but it's just that - an opinion, so feel free to ignore.

As far as I am concerned, a heavy truck isn't a particularly safe vehicle. It will have a longer stopping distance and lower lane speed change than a vehicle with a wider wheel stance, a lower centre of gravity and independent suspension. Size does not equate safety.

The only reason I can see for ever living with the drawbacks of a truck is payload - if you need or wish to carry heavy items, then a truck appears to be the only real option.

I tow a 34' International with a Honda Odyssey (same platform as the Ridgeline). It's a little lighter than your trailer and it has six wheels, but I am never worried about the Ody not being able to handle it.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi and welcome.

Good news is your question is utterly non-controversial :-)

There are dozens of threads in these forums that address this type of question.

First - the 7600# - is that weighed at CAT scales or from the brochure? If weighed and you haven't fully loaded for camping, you might be closer to 9k.

That's way more than the Honda should handle in my uneducated opinion. It's not just a weight rating - think drive train strain, cooling requirements, brake capabilities, handling...

I admit - my 3/4 ton is probably overkill for my 27FB Flying Cloud (5880 on the scales loaded for camping) but Bette to have and not need than the reverse.

Lots of good info and opinions here to sort through. That's one. Enjoy and good luck!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by theise1 View Post
I am not very technical. I've met Andy at Can-Am, and from meeting him and everything I've read, he seems very trustworthy.

I bought a 2012 AS Int'l Signature 27 ft last August. It has a Pro-Pride WD hitch and weighs 7,600 pounds before the Solar Panels, Temper-Pedic mattress, or any personal items are loaded. I'm towing it with my 2011 Honda Ridgeline that has a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. I've had the hitch reinforced and installed a brake controller.

Everything has been fine, but I'm worried that when something unexpected happens, my Ridgeline isn't going to be "big enough" to control my baby behind it. I feel like I may be "dangerous" to those around me.

It's time for a new timing belt and new tires on the Ridgeline. I'm wondering if I should sell it and get a quarter ton pickup. Am I an idiot? The pics I've taken make me feel like my little truck is inadequate. Fire away!!
Edit: after writing the below, I reread you post and am no longer sure whether or not Andy was involving in designing your tow package, If not, I suggest you consult with him.

There are more than one school of thought on the subject you are concerned about and the discussion can get emotional and not always totally rational. Since Andy set this up for you and I have never heard anything negative based on actual experience, my advice would be to contact Andy and discuss your concerns in detail. If you are worried about certain scenarios, ask him for specific ways to handle them. There are a lot of people towing with his set ups and I have never heard one of them express anything negative. Andy and those people are the ones I would solicit input from if I were you. Opinions from people like me who have never driven any of his set ups are based purely on conjecture.

Hope this helps,

P.S, I use a ProPride and love it. It does its job very well. I have towed with several other hitches and would not swap the ProPride for anything else I've seen to date.
Ken
Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
If it feels right, and you don't feel like the trailer is overwhelming the tow vehicle, go about your business. On the other hand,if your not comfortable with your set-up, you might consider looking at other options.

You need to be in your comfort zone to have a good time with your Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The base weight of your Airstream is 5824, the gross vehicle weight rating is 7600.

The Honda is underkill in tow rating. A 3/4 is overkill in tow rating but underkill in emergency handling. Personally I'm not thrilled about either one of them.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #8

Green Bay , Wisconsin
I've learned a little something from every post! Thank you all.

I need to take my rig to Andy for his fine tuning, take my baby out this summer, go to some Rally's, get more opinions (both valuable and not-so-valuable), and see where I am a year from now.

This was very helpful. First time doing the on-line forum thing. Excellent!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by theise1 View Post
I've learned a little something from every post! Thank you all.

I need to take my rig to Andy for his fine tuning, take my baby out this summer, go to some Rally's, get more opinions (both valuable and not-so-valuable), and see where I am a year from now.

This was very helpful. First time doing the on-line forum thing. Excellent!
Welcome to the Forums. Please hang around. There is a lot of good information here. Sometimes you may have to sort the wheat from the chaff a bit (I'm not sure which I am) but its well worth it.

Ken
Old 01-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Like Andy in post #3, I tow a reasonably heavy Airstream (2011 28' International) with a 2011 Toyota minivan. Andy T set it up and I've enjoyed three good summers hauling it around Canada and the US with no issues whatsoever.

As others have said, though, YOU have to be comfortable with your choices. Big doesn't necessarily mean safe, or even capable, but the people at Can Am will help you out one way or another.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Camping ready, our 2013 25FB International Serenity crossed the scales at 6,960 pounds of the 7,300 pounds GVW. I would imagine your total weight would be closer to 7,000 pounds if heavily loaded.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote