Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Bristol , Tennessee
Towing 16' Bambi to Alaska

Hello, I am a new member. I am now retired after a long career in retail pharmacy. I have a 2003 GMC Envoy XL and am thinking of purchasing a 16' International or Quicksilver Bambi for a 2 month trip touring Alaska. I have always pulled pop up campers but want to move up to an Airstream. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks
soarfeat
soarfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Great idea. Do it before something gets in the way. Best guidebook I know is the Alaskan Milepost. You'll find lots of good advice searching on this Forum.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
We passed quite a few Airstreams on our way to and from Alaska last summer. The Milepost is a good reference; another source for information is the Canada/Alaska RVNet forum http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...s/forum/65.cfm. The Alaska Highway put a number of rock "dings" in the front of our Airstream, but we consider them battle scars. Jim's advice is "go early...stay late"! The planning is a big part of the trip.

Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Soarfeat,

Welcome to the Forum. You will have no problems towing a 16' with your rig. I pull my 19'CCD with a Dodge Sprinter van that has only 165 HP and 255 Ft/Lb of torque with no sway control or WD hitch. The little beastie behaves perfectly and you really don't even know that it's there.

Have a great time in AK!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:45 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
Bristol , Tennessee
Thanks guys for all the encouragement. The posting "do it before something gets in the way is right on". My wife being a breast cancer survivor reminds us every day how short and fragile life can be. One more question. My a/s dealer says a hensley hitch will not fit the 16' model. Is he right or do I even need one. Thanks again. sorefeat
soarfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Go to the “Search” item on the blue menu bar at tge top of the page. ("Search is 9th from left). Pull down and type in “Hensley Hitch” and you’ll be able to find it and read a lot of opinions that should answer your question. Good luck.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Should be a good match, particularly if you have 3.73s in it. My only suggestion would be to make sure you have some great mudflaps on it. The higher trucks do tend to throw stones. In addition to the flaps I also put this monster on:

http://www.mudflaps.com/

Have fun! I'm envious....I have about 10,000 days left before I can think of retirement!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarfeat
.... thinking of purchasing a 16' International or Quicksilver Bambi for a 2 month trip touring Alaska.
I have two thoughts. First, is a 19 going to be big enough? From what I have read about this sort of trip you can expect alot of cold nights so you may be spending more time in the coach than you think. This past Sept I took my mom and her husband out to Yellowstone, the outside temps pretty much kept us inside in the evenings and my 24ft was plenty small. Second, having looked at a similar trip (its on the books for the summer after tenure) I would recomend seeing if you cant stretch it out for 3 months and see more. Anyway, those are just my thoughts and probally reflect my goals more than yours, but its something to think about. Keep us posted, I plan on using your experinces to plan my trip .

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:46 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Cool

I'm using those 'monster' mudflaps, and hooked up to a Hensley, and both are great products. The flaps are easily adjusted for towing, and easy to remove and store when you are unhooked. Great trip ahead for you!
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:52 PM   #10
_

. , .
go for it soarfeat.......

however a used trailer or older trailer with double axles would be my choice.....for such a trip. it will get a beating if new. and spare tires would be useful. actually my choice for that trip is a 34.....but too much for your t.v. me thinks....

a used trailer has the benefit of already having been shaken into shape and loose things tightened.....and depreciated before you buy.

also the qsilver is a 'high cute' factor model but wayyyyyyyyy over priced and not nearly enough of anything (space, water, storage, holding tanks) on board for a comfortable long trip.....and the bed is only suited for little surfer dudes......dude.

it does however have polynesian god head pull knobs.........
http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...ambi_home.html
second photo.......

'way

2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:58 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The folks I bought my Caravel from took it to Alaska every year for the last five years or so they owned it. That's a 17 ft trailer! They fished, canned, lived out of that itty bitty trailer for a month or more at a time. He carried his fishing boat up on top of the rack on his truck. They finally moved up to a 22' vintage Safari, you know, room to stretch out a bit more

Figure out which Airstream fits you best and make that trip!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
On this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarfeat
Thanks guys for all the encouragement. The posting "do it before something gets in the way is right on". My wife being a breast cancer survivor reminds us every day how short and fragile life can be. One more question. My a/s dealer says a hensley hitch will not fit the 16' model. Is he right or do I even need one. Thanks again. sorefeat
Congrats on ur pending trip..
I personally have to agree with 2airishuman abt buying a used Airstream for the trip. Heck, you could even sell it there when you got ready to leave..Have your brand new Airstream waiting back home for the lower 48..lol
Hmmm, I personally feel a Hensley is fantastic product but, for a 16', a HUGH over kill..Abt fitting issues, it depends on the dealership..I haven't seen a A/S yet that it couldn't be made to work for. My personal opinion: I'd spend those few extra $$ and buy into a small decent Honda generator for the trip.
Also, to better prepare you and your wife for your trip..
Watch the movie called :
The Grizzly Man, abt a young man name Tim Treadwill..
Look forward to the pending reports of your trip~!!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Soarfeet, we brought our 16' up the highway in late November...avoid late November. Otherwise, we love the trailer, and my wife would have nothing else. Bigger trailers are fine, of course. We are mostly weekenders and did not feel we need to be towing our house around. We keep it small and compact, but I can get a remarkable amount of gear in the TT and our F150 screw. I also like being able to take the rig into smaller campsites, many up here are undeveloped. I wold say no to the hitch, I bought one which had to be modified to fit, and does nothing for stability or wt. distribution (in fact, I never use the rods). On the highway, avoid Pink Mountain RV sites, and plan a stop at Liard River hot springs. Kluane Lake lodge has best steak sandwich in existence (might be moose). Most of the highway is now upgraded, but still some white knucklers on Steamboat Pass and around Kluane Lake. A rock screen is a reasonable investment, and make sure any trailer you order has window protectors.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:09 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

I second that motion of the frozen chosen...

Especially the part about the foods...

BTW, if half the fun is getting there, be sure to bring lots of stuff that you'll need once you get here. I can think of a few things to do right from the highway that would include fishing from the rivers, clamming, going out for halibut fishing, et cetera. You'll need a pair of hip waders, poles and gear. Be sure to have a digital camera, sun block and plenty of skeeter spray--they're the state bird, after all!

Additionally, I would second the suggestion to spend a full three months on this trip. Sure, you can drive from Anchorage to New York in <105 hours... But that doesn't mean that it SHOULD be done in that manner. I'd plan upon 3-4 weeks to get up here, 4-6 weeks to play around up here and whatever is left over to blast back to home. There are just NO LIMITS to the fun you can have up here. Decide what you want to do when you're here, first. This will assist with your itinerary (if you even have one)...

Cheers!

IceKing02

PS--Go for the depreciated, < 27ft. trailer for the best balance of features. Gotta love lugging in 2nd gear to love a larger trailer when pulling with a "baby gasser".