Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
DeltaRon's Avatar
 
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 228
Tow vehicle question

Hello, new to forum. Just bought my tow vehicle; a 2015 Chevy Tahoe with max towing package, 2WD. We want to buy the 2015 25 Flying Cloud, twin bed. Visited Colonial in NJ last week. Here's my concern. Am I going to have problems towing the 25 FC with this SUV which is rated up to 8,500 towing capacity? Everyone keeps telling me "no problem" but I'm still not convinced, particularly after driving I-26 between I-81 and Asheville NC last week on way back to GA from NJ. I bought an SUV because I really don't like pickups. Did I make a mistake and have to drop down to the 23 FC or Bambi?

DeltaRon
__________________

__________________
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,098
Tahoe for TV on 25' FC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Hello, new to forum. Just bought my tow vehicle; a 2015 Chevy Tahoe with max towing package, 2WD. We want to buy the 2015 25 Flying Cloud, twin bed. Visited Colonial in NJ last week. Here's my concern. Am I going to have problems towing the 25 FC with this SUV which is rated up to 8,500 towing capacity? Everyone keeps telling me "no problem" but I'm still not convinced, particularly after driving I-26 between I-81 and Asheville NC last week on way back to GA from NJ. I bought an SUV because I really don't like pickups. Did I make a mistake and have to drop down to the 23 FC or Bambi?

DeltaRon
Hi DeltaRon,
Couple observations here, since you really have 2 questions....TV and which AS size?? for us, we thought the 23' was the "cat's meow" when it came out...after owning our first 25' Safari...And for many, it is a great choice. For my wife and I, the 25' works better since we are out a lot and travel a long way...that being said, on to your TV question...

The Tahoe should tow fine with the right hitch set up, but you may lack the passing power you want or feel a bit slow going up steep grades. We had a slightly used 06', Safari 25', and purchased a new 08' Tahoe, which worked ok for the 2 years we owned both; I just felt a little underpowered. We sold the 06' Safari and got an 08' 25' Safari, and also bought the new 2011 Tahoe after talking with the Chevy sales manager...he said the new Tahoe was "much better than the 06 because": had 6 speed, and 20-30 more HP, Bluetooth, backup camera, etc......thought we had made a great decision, and overall, it was fine for a while. Then in the summer, we took a trip to Banff Canada, up a 7% grade, with a friend who had same trailer, but was driving a new F150 Echoboost....he left us in the dust while my gas pedal was floored only reaching 62mph! We got home, sold the Tahoe, bought a new 12' F150 Echoboost 4X4, SuperCrew, Shortbed; no hesitation for us; it was that dramatic a difference in towing...Love the Tahoe for driving around town, parking, etc...we did not want a truck.... (The truck is sometimes difficult to park due to size, etc.) That being said, now after owning an F150 for 2 years-- there are so many advantages to the pickup in hauling stuff you would not want in your Tahoe, like generator, fuel, wood, even trash, (you can't hose out the back of the Tahoe!) There are many threads here...many opinions on tow vehicles...hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,767
Images: 12
I would get the trailer you want (i.e., the 25) and tow with the Tahoe. If you find it unacceptable, then you can switch the TV for something more powerful. I would not compromise the trailer which you will own for 10 or 20 years (or perhaps longer?) for the TV you currently have since you can easily switch TV.
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Ridgerunner3's Avatar
 
2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 659
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Hello, new to forum. Just bought my tow vehicle; a 2015 Chevy Tahoe with max towing package, 2WD. We want to buy the 2015 25 Flying Cloud, twin bed. Visited Colonial in NJ last week. Here's my concern. Am I going to have problems towing the 25 FC with this SUV which is rated up to 8,500 towing capacity? Everyone keeps telling me "no problem" but I'm still not convinced, particularly after driving I-26 between I-81 and Asheville NC last week on way back to GA from NJ. I bought an SUV because I really don't like pickups. Did I make a mistake and have to drop down to the 23 FC or Bambi?

DeltaRon
This may seem like too many questions, but I am interested to know more about your Tahoe. For example what is the payload of the Tahoe as stamped on the door jamb? Does it have a 5.3 with a 6 speed automatic? What ratio rear differential does it have. And did you ask the techs at Colonial their opinion about the Tahoe for pulling the 25 footer?

I have towed a trailer the size of the Flying Cloud 25 with a 2008 Chevy 1500 with a 5.3 engine 3.73 gear ratio and a 4 speed transmission. It did fine. The truck and I knew the trailer was back there. But it was perfectly safe towing setup. Your Tahoe probably has the 6 speed transmission which is light years better than the old 4 speed.

I believe that trailer has a gross weight of 7300# and the tongue weight when loaded with a proper hitch will probably run in the area of 1000 lb. I would guess that your only issue would to watch that you don't exceed the payload capacity of the Tahoe. LT tires on the Tahoe will likely also improve the towing comfort of the Tahoe.
__________________
Bud
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
DeltaRon's Avatar
 
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
This may seem like too many questions, but I am interested to know more about your Tahoe. For example what is the payload of the Tahoe as stamped on the door jamb? Does it have a 5.3 with a 6 speed automatic? What ratio rear differential does it have. And did you ask the techs at Colonial their opinion about the Tahoe for pulling the 25 footer?



I have towed a trailer the size of the Flying Cloud 25 with a 2008 Chevy 1500 with a 5.3 engine 3.73 gear ratio and a 4 speed transmission. It did fine. The truck and I knew the trailer was back there. But it was perfectly safe towing setup. Your Tahoe probably has the 6 speed transmission which is light years better than the old 4 speed.



I believe that trailer has a gross weight of 7300# and the tongue weight when loaded with a proper hitch will probably run in the area of 1000 lb. I would guess that your only issue would to watch that you don't exceed the payload capacity of the Tahoe. LT tires on the Tahoe will likely also improve the towing comfort of the Tahoe.




Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
__________________
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
DeltaRon's Avatar
 
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 228
My Tahoe is the 5.3 V8 Ecotech3 engine. Max towing rear axel ratio is 3.42, integrated brake controller and max towing suspension pkg. I'm sure it will be ok on level terrain but it's the 7% grades that concern me. Will also install either the Reese dual cam WD hitch or comparable.


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
__________________
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Ridgerunner3's Avatar
 
2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 659
Images: 11
I looked on the Chevy site. It appears you have a 5.3 engine with a 6 speed, 3.43 gear ratio, and about a 1700# payload. I think you just need to watch the payload capacity when loaded for camping. Make a trip to CAT scales loaded for camping to setup your weight distribution and get your loading correct for your Tahoe. I would think it will be a good tow vehicle for a Flying Cloud 25.
__________________
Bud
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Ridgerunner3's Avatar
 
2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 659
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
My Tahoe is the 5.3 V8 Ecotech3 engine. Max towing rear axel ratio is 3.42, integrated brake controller and max towing suspension pkg. I'm sure it will be ok on level terrain but it's the 7% grades that concern me. Will also install either the Reese dual cam WD hitch or comparable.


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
All but a diesel or a big block gasser will appear to be struggling somewhat on a long or steep grade.
__________________
Bud
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

 
1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,651
Blog Entries: 13
During the very short periods that you are towing up a 7-8% grade over the life of your tow vehicle, you will need to downshift to 3rd gear and run 3800 rpm or so. It will be loud. Your fuel gauge may actually move towards empty right before your eyes. You will be running 50-55 or so. Yet, soon you will arrive on top and all will be well.

You could spend an additional 8 grand or so and scoot right up the hill behind a big honkin' diesel and that would indeed be swell.

Me, I can think of better things to do with 8 grand.

I think you will be fine.

Mike
__________________
Old (usually dirty) Nissan Titan
Old (enhanced with "male pattern baldness") Sovereign
Young, lovely bride
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #10
TahoeStream'n
 
subfan1's Avatar
 
2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 831
Images: 3
There is a guy that just bought a 15 Yukon, same as your Tahoe and tows a 25 Airstream. Jwesterman I believe? Any way do a search here (2015 Tahoe) ask him. By the way, he loves it!


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Msmoto's Avatar

 
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,502
Images: 135
I pulled a 2007 Int 25 footer with a 2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. Lots of power, but at 12 mpg I had no range. Also, the gearing wanted the Cayenne to downshift often on slight upgrades. Sold this, bought 2008 Dodge/Cummins 2500 crew cab long bed 4 x 4 and this pulls well at 14 mpg. The standard 35 gal tank allows decent range. I have also put in air springs so I can set up everything level, and my generator sits in the pick up bed so no gas smell inside. The luxury of the truck is quite sufficient and the crew cab gives good room.


Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB
__________________
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
jmcarter's Avatar
 
2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 120
Nothing like the smooth power delivery of a diesel, we pull with a GL350 Bluetec and hills are so undramatic compared to hugging the slow lane going up and getting stuck behind a truck literally crawling up. Watching coolant / trans temps and the constant downshifts became an aggravation for me, even with a 400 HP QX56. You might get by with a 23 foot AS but I'd be concerned about going longer and the higher tongue weight trailers. However, I do agree with others who say the Tahoe will do fine, just be patient on the hills and don't expect a lot of range.
__________________
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,098
Tahoe vs Yukon

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
There is a guy that just bought a 15 Yukon, same as your Tahoe and tows a 25 Airstream. Jwesterman I believe? Any way do a search here (2015 Tahoe) ask him. By the way, he loves it!


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
I looked at both Yukon and Tahoe before purchasing my 08' Tahoe, and then an 11' Tahoe; they both have same engine/transmission and tow package, unless you get the Denali which you can get with the bigger 6L V8... For us, the F150 Echoboost had way more torque, HP, and fuel economy (when not towing), plus the utility of a PU, I mentioned earlier...just a pain to park sometimes.
__________________
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,098
Diesel vs gasser??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
All but a diesel or a big block gasser will appear to be struggling somewhat on a long or steep grade.
Ridgerunner3- not so...if you see the earlier posts, there are some large V8's and certainly the Echoboost, which will do fine pulling a 25' up 7-8% grades...we have first hand experience with the Echoboost...plus the range of 36gal; for us, perfect blend of torque, HP, fuel economy, and ride in a short bed F150 SuperCab, which rides better than my Tahoe's did...have not tried the Toyota but understand that gasser also does very well pulling large loades....don't have to deal with diesel either, if that is an issue...just saying...
__________________

__________________
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow Vehicle/STOW Vehicle for Full-Timers Foiled Again Full-Timing 13 06-28-2014 01:55 PM
Tow Vehicle Question-for a 34 ft, 3 axle Excella dmreilly10000 Tow Vehicles 26 08-02-2011 10:05 PM
Can you tow a 31' with 12 a bhp tow vehicle? goatfarmer Member Introductions 6 06-30-2010 11:40 PM
Tow, tow tow your Airstream Hhthorny Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 11 04-12-2008 01:06 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.