Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
So far, I can agree with AirChief, AirNutt and others who have boldly taken a chance on this newfangled technology (not to mention their apparent disregard for the potential dire consequences of attempting to tow an Airstream with a lowly 1/2 ton truck).

While spending the winter in Houston (I'm not rich enough to use the names of the seasons as verbs; for example, "we WINTER in Boca Raton"), I came over to the dark side myself, and bought one. I was able to give it a decent break-in period, dodging traffic accidents in and around Houston for a couple of months. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't burn that much more gas than our Honda Element.

Knowing that it would soon be time to start our routine spring migration to St. Louis, and
beginning to feel intense guilt after 3 months of hedonism at the outstanding Lakeview RV Resort, we decided to essentially give up everything nice for Lent, and spend a couple of weeks at the Escapees park in Livingston. My strategy is working: a week in this place has completely assuaged my feelings of overindulgence, and as a bonus, I get to pick up my mail for free everyday.

Bottom line, though, is that I haven't done enough towing with it yet to start bragging, although if it makes it to St. Louis without, say, having to replace a rear axle, I might be tempted.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
...forgot to mention that average mpg around town is usually 16 to 17.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil
...forgot to mention that average mpg around town is usually 16 to 17.
Just to clarify, is that 16 to 17 in a F150 w/Eco-Boost? Seems pretty low compared to the other numbers people throw out on here.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Yes; I've been told that it should gradually improve (only about 2,500 miles on it so far).
Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
Hi Dave,
We're about to buy a 25' and have obsessively researched tow vehicles. Love the FJ but it isn't your huckleberry for a 25'. I really wanted diesel but in the end we settled on the Ford F-150 Ecoboost. The Touareg TDI is an awesome rig but isn't enough for the 25'. The Ford F250 (or other branded diesel super duty trucks) was too much for us for everyday use. The Ecoboost beats the V8's in torque and is a very smooth daily driver. Gets "good" mpg when not towing... but this appears drops to 11-13 mpg when towing.

My only caveat on the Ecoboost is to consider a extended warranty; the long term quality of Ecoboost is yet unproven.

Hope this help and good luck!

BC
Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 AM   #34
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

"My only caveat on the Ecoboost is to consider a extended warranty; the long term quality of Ecoboost is yet unproven."

40 yrs in the biz recommends, stay with what the manufacturer sells, 90% of aftermarket service plans, (they are not warranty's), aren't worth the parchment their written on.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Before I pulled the trigger on the Ecoboost, I would also look at the Tundra 5.7L. The double cab with the 6.5 ft bed has a better back seat than the Ford supercab, the towing grunt is almost on par with the ecoboost, should be close on fuel economy possibly down 1-2 mpg, better reliability with out a turbocharger and the SR-5 model is very well equipped and probably at least 5k less than the ecoboost. I paid 25k out the door in 2008 after 5k rebate and 3k discount for a 2wd SR-5 very well equipped truck. I have been quite happy. Just saying to look at it and consider it. It is a great truck.

Dan
Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
"40 yrs in the biz recommends, stay with what the manufacturer sells, 90% of aftermarket service plans, (they are not warranty's), aren't worth the parchment their written on.
Bob"

Completely agree with Bob! Should have said "consider a FORD extended warranty..."

Don't disagree with TouringDan. The Tundra 5.7L is a great option if the Ford F-150 Ecoboost isn't your cup of tea.