Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Torn between two loves-A/S & Argosy

I love to travel and camp, and have admired/loved the airstream products I have seen on the road while traveling in SOB. I purchased my first Airstream (1987 32' Excella) a year ago and have never been sorry. Last week I stumbled upon a 1978 Argosy 28' motorhome that was in pretty good condition. Needed a little work, but just couldn't resist!!! Told my wife after the fact, and it didn't go too bad???? I have read these forums for the past year as a visitor, and have just registered as a member. I find the forums to be very interesting and helpful, as I have had many of the same questions as other participants. My thanks to those willing to share your experiences with those of us a "little greener". My wife seems to think there is room for only one Airstream in our life. We've went through the pro's and con's of both, but the jury is still out. I love the older rigs, but my main concern is whether or not the Argosy can stand up to the rigors, and distance, of our frequent travels. The motor has checked out good and various minor repairs on steering and drivetrain are in process. Have camped one weekend in it, and gas leaks and refrigerator should be fixed within a day or so. Any thoughts?
nohillgrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
well,, my thoughts are,,, hmmmmmmmmmmm,,, seems like i have 2 airstreams,,, both meet specific needs,,, jury is still out on if i will sell one or the other,,, so entrhalled with both that it would be painful. probably not what you wanted to hear. several others on the forum have multiple streams,, and well ,, they will respond shortly am sure,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
If you have to let one go.... It's a bit cliche but whatever one Moma likes you should probably keep.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Got Teenagers?

If so, keep both. Send a teenager to college with the moho... instead of paying for a dorm room and a car.

Kids grown? Build a swimming pool, buy a pink striped awning for the trailer, voila, instant pool cabana!

Want a vacation home? Moho! Store in the off season.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:55 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Hey can I borrow your wife to talk to my wife? If I bring ANYTHING else home with wheels I had better be prepared to live in it.... I don't think that two distinctive different units are a problem, unless it is going to cause undue hardship, such as in storage costs or maintenance. Hey look at Balgrn he has more than one unit! I would love to have the MoHo but probably wouldn't be able to use it enough to justify the cost.

My vote is keep both for a year then decide which one to sell! If selling at all.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
dieterdog, Goin Camping, Foiled Again & Wahoonc:
Shared your responses with my wife. I think you're softening her up, and may have bought me some time. Thanks to all!!!!!!!
Stray
Old 09-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Too Many ?

One is an Airstream and the other is an Argosy and a Motorhome to boot. My vote is to find a way to keep both. I am kinda sneaky too. I tell alot after the fact. But I at least I have a trailer to sleep in and the dog will join me. Kevin
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

See if this makes sense...............

You don't just have a hammer, and you don't just have a wrench,
You need multiple tools to get different jobs done. It's the same with
vehicles. I don't think you'll be able to survive with just a large trailer and a motor home. I am worried about you. I think you will also need a small trailer
and a small conversion van for different kinds of outings with different
distances and lengths of stay. ( If you can afford it. I think older motor homes can be money pits )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:01 PM   #9
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
You're all quite convincing!! I really like the "different tool" analogy, but additional units may be more than my sweet wife can endure. An unexpected problem has evolved with the Argosy. For some reason a lingering "tank" odor is hanging around, although I have filled and flushed 2-3 times. Previous owner obviously hadn't been so dilegent, but seems like situation ought to be remedied by now???? Guess there's a possibility of leakage into supporting cavity, but nothing obvious has been noted. My plan is to fill both gray and black tanks with some type of solution and let sit for a while before going further. Any suggestions?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
I say keep them both. Argosy for shorter trips when you need less stuff. Excella for long trips when extra goodies onboard helps! But, we have 3 trailers and 6 cars. Two people. Go figure. Guess we weren't very good at math. (Not everything runs or works, however. Project city here!)

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Why would you even think of letting one go???

We use the 20' for weekend trips and the 25' for more serious camping
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #12
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Thanks to all the good advice/encouragement, the guilt pains are now almost totally gone. Have had opportunity to work through most of the obvious on the Argosy, and it's really beginning to feel like part of the family. Probably boring to most but, for those who are interested, the "obvious" has included: new starter (started great when cold but wouldn't hardly turn when hot--put in a "jimmy-rigged" heat shield between motor and starter to hopefully alleviate that problem in the future, complete tune-up, new drive shaft carrier bearing, new pinion seal on rear end and replaced both seals, replaced relay arm driver side and bushings, repacked front wheel bearings, repaired gas leaks at the furnace and hot water heater and cleaned burner assembly on refrigerator (now goes to below zero in freezer and 27 on the bottom when set at maximum--compared to 60 degrees before). Most of this was beyond my ability, but had professional help when required. Seems like a lot of stuff for a rig having only 58,000 miles. Like other posts I have read, apparently this rig had spent several extended periods of time just sitting. Hope it had a good rest, because the next time these same items have to be fixed/replaced I want them to be worn out instead of rusted out. Looking forward to the next "shake down" trip in a week or so. P.S.--the "short trip" / "long trip" usage for respective rigs make sense to me--Think I'll try that one on the little woman.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

about the tank smell............

I put ice and in my black tank, filled my other tanks with water and a cup or two of bleach. I drove around for an hour, then let it sit for a day then drove around again. I then flushed all the tanks. The ice is supposed to scour the black tank. That did the trick for me.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:43 PM   #14
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Will try the ice and bleach as suggested. Ran across something on another thread that may also explain a part of the problem. That thread suggested that if you run vent fans with windows and doors closed it will pull tank odors into the coach thru vents under the vanity and sink. That is exactly what we did on our first weekend outing in the unit. After noticing a strong propane smell in the unit, we immediately turned the propane off and left vents running all night. As was suggested, this may have cleared one kind of gas and brought in another. Anyway, I'm attacking on several fronts. I really appreciate all the helpful advice found in this forum.