Old 06-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
(oh and for me 31' is too big . . . and actually 21' (mine) is probably slightly small but I much rather pull, manuver, back up, park, store . . . the 21' - at least on short/quick trips)

good luck

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
The Ambassador looks to be in very good shape. I think I'd go for it and use some of the savings to get a more appropriate tow vehicle.

Then, if you decide you DO like A/S, you could sell the Ambassador or trade it in on what you want.

We were parked next to Canoestream's 25' FB Safari last weekend and they are SWEET!

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Far out!

Originally Posted by MarkR
here's a couple I have been "watching" on ebay (there's always some).
the one in Santa Barbara might be a little far . . .
Yikes, as in too far out of my price range. $12,500 for a '71 Safari. I guess I shoul d have snapped up the one going for $8k in Las Vegas when I had the chance Makes me feel better about the $4k spent on the Argosy even with the overpriced $700 brake work I had done. I just can't see spending that much cash on an old trailer sight unseen. Note the seller has 0 feedback. There are bound to be things needing attention plus the cost of towing it home with todays gas prices. I figured close to a grand to fly down and look at the one in Vegas and then drive down and bring it home. Then you've got the "excitement" of trailering a rig you know nothing about across the middle of no where. Let's say a bearing freezes up somewhere North of Reno. That could add another couple of days and another G note to the deal.

Not an AS but so cool I just can't resist forwarding the link to this vintage Streamline:
Again though, 4k for a "project" trailer. But the Buck Rogers factor is just soooo cool

bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Originally Posted by gowyn
great feedback, thanks everyone.

My concern was mainly the length and getting into some places, plus hauling up to 7100# with 168hp and 268 ft/lbs of torque. Local dealer (Canamrv) said the truck can handle it but then again they are quite well know online for the folks towing BIG trailers with mini vans.
You are well advised to be considering the length versus accessibility tradeoffs. I have owned three Airstreams; a 23', a 27', and a 31' like you are presently considering. With each incremental increase in length, I have reduced the availability of suitable spaces in State and National Parks here in the Southwest.

At the North Rim of the Grand Canyon last year (a National Park) the sites were big enough for all of us who went including a 34'; however, I could barely squeeze my 27' in and out of the dump station. The longer Airstreams couldn't dump.

This summer, at Dead Horse Point State Park in Utah, there were only about three sites that would accomodate my 31' Sovereign, but a good number that I could have backed my 23' or even my 27' into.

Along the Jemez River here in NM at the NM Dept Game and Fish campgrounds, there isn't a single site that I can maneuver my 31' into, but plenty of room for 27' and shorter.

You get the point. The additional room is wonderful, but camping options are reduced.

Hope this helps!

P.S. The private RV parks are set up for the 40' motor homes, so length is not an issue if you intend to stay at RV resorts and parks.
Ken L
2007 Classic Limited 30 (Sold)
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Sounds like a 25' to me

This is a great thread since I went through this issue a few years ago.

Basically it sounds like your turbo diesel will probably pull a 31' AS. The question is can it stop it?

There are also other discussions about the wheelbase length, etc, which I'm a firm believer in. The fellow at our local AS dealer mentioned that he won't pull anything longer than 25 ft with a vehicle rated as a 1/2 ton truck and I agree completely.

Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
great discussion everyone.

I'm gonna look again at the Bambi, just like the idea of a smaller weekender but I will still go look at the 31 Ambassador.

As far as TV it's here to stay, love it too much.

Just gonna have to convince the wife...hehe

gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote