Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #1

1976 27' Overlander
paris , Texas
Cool to keep or not

hello everyone, my wife and i were givin a 1976 as overlander a little over a year ago.i found this site and it is really cool so i thought i would try it out. we used the overlander as is last year, but decided that it isnt laid out right for us being we have 3 kids. i have debated on selling it or redoing the whole thing.the camper is in pretty good shape except there are a few dents in the front where the po pulled it through low hanging limbs. then the back was slightly hit when a trash truck grazed it with a dumpster. the hit in the back was enough to puncture the skin,and the po cut out a pice of the shower to repair from inside. so i had to fiberglass the shower hole up. i havent tackled the skin yet because i dont know if i will keep it, it doesnt leak because he siliconed it up tight. everything in it works great, and i love it but my wife doesnt like the sleeping arrangements. so the question i ask yall is to keep or not?
chevy774x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
How about some inside and outside pictures.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Pictures would be great. Susan
Bo&Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
My prefrence for you is to keep her. You can rebuild the inside to suit your family's lifestyle. Pictures please.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
If the kids are old enough, one or more can sleep outside in a tent. Or... buy an army cot or two for the "living room". If you sell it, you will probably think back and regret that decision...

Plus - it's paid for!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #6

1976 27' Overlander
paris , Texas
ill try to get pics on here this weekend
Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
If it were me, I'd sell it. The only reason you should fix it up is if you were refurbishing it for yourself and family; however it is very difficult to make more living space available than presently exists.

It is very hard to get your money back out of a refurb job, because your buyer won't really know how good a job you did and will discount what he thinks it is worth accordingly.

Now, if it is your heart's desire to bring an antique to life then that is a different calculus. And you need to be handy and have plenty of time.

Good luck and congratulations on your acquisition.

Pate
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
We also had our Argosy given to us....and we did not like our set up either.....my husband and I have undertaken a total redo of the interior.....we are not by any means carpenters....but we have completely redone the kitchen and made a new front bed where the dinette was and are now working on taking out the two twin beds....and replacing with a foldable sofa and two recliners. If your family enjoys camping and outdoors I would say try the remodel for your family, then if nothing sell and move on
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #9

1976 27' Overlander
paris , Texas
well my family loves to camp and we used to use a tent.i am a carpenter by trade so the work would be easy. i just dont know about finding the outside panels that are damaged. cause if i do refurbish this thing it will be done all the way and right. whats the point if you dont do it right.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
you got the right attitude..do it right if you're gonna do it...

keep in mind you can remove the inside panels (instead of cutting holes in them like the p.o.), push the dent out, and re rivet the int. panel back...

or if you prefer, Out of Doors Mart.com has ext panels, but it seems like more work than the int method to me...

being a carpenter already you got half the battle won!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #11

1976 27' Overlander
paris , Texas
well there is a last minute stall in the remodel of the overlander. we have made the decision to move back to anniston, al in march so the work will have to wait till the end of camping season.so we can use it to go back up to cheha st park