Old 05-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I think the Pendleton is a gimmick and its a lot more money. You'll be better off saving the money and get an Eddie Bauer or a 25/27 with twins and getting a rack system on the tow vehicle.

Here is one couple who fulltime in a older 25 with kayaks on their Tundra. Seems to work well for them. They have two 14' Kayaks

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Great questions. I will speak to the kayak question. We carry three kayaks on the roof and three bikes in the bed of our Tundra. We use the Hullavators for the two outside kayaks closest to the driver and passenger doors. They are $600 or so a piece but they make it so easy! There is varying info online as to how much weight your truck roof and the Hullavators can accommodate so you would have to figure out what you're comfortable with.

The main advantages of having the kayaks on the truck roof:
1: Not having to walk around them in the trailer every time you go in which will be far more often than you think (lunch, bathroom break, forgetting something inside the trailer, etc).
2: Once at a camping area you can depart to any body of water in your truck with kayaks on top without having to move them from trailer to truck.

The only disadvantages I can think of to carrying kayaks on top of the truck are some bug splatters, decreased truck mileage due to wind resistance, and perhaps theft though this can be mitigated with locks if that concerns you.

Of course, cleaning/drying off kayaks each time before putting them into your beautiful trailer would seem bothersome to me but I've never done it so it's just speculation on my part.

You're smart to be thinking all of these questions through as best you can because come "camping" time the easier it is to get to the toys the more pleasurable it is and the more you want to go!

Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
texas , Texas
I believe the 2017 Internationals are going to have options of twin beds.
If you are reading this, it means I have made it another day!!!
GoWhereTowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
We have put down a deposit on one of the last Pendeltons. We are very excited and now plan to take all your advice by carrying the kayaks in the trailer or possibly on the TV roof. Dealer said they may be able to add some tie downs for us on the inside. Still haven't found a lift that will lift the 100# kayak but we'll keep looking. I find it refreshing how innovative people can be to take their hobbies along.
Thanks for the link to the Wandering Watsons. Their story looks interesting and we may follow for a while.
Look forward to seeing more of your posts on other topics.
Thanks again for all the help.
GinaNBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:02 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Originally Posted by GinaNBob View Post
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
We have put down a deposit on one of the last Pendeltons.
Congratulations. I'm officially jealous.

Actually I'm glad in some ways that I never saw the Pendleton in person, I'm sure I could have convinced myself to spend more money. It looks gorgeous in every photo and video that I've seen. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years.

wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote